1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG1, SoA and ToB which is best ?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Gilden, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Gilden Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Which is your favourite in the BG series, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale 1, Icewind Dale 2, Shadows of Amn, Throne of Bhaal.

Before I go into this I will say that I prefer this to all the other games of this type out there, including Neverwinter Nights (Yeech !), Morrowind (good fun), Planescape Torment (not really my cup of tea), and other, older ones that are hard to recall now. BG's have just loads of Mods, and the option of many new character portraits (which I made good use of). That is a big plus for repeated playings, and I haven't mentioned the, ahem, message boards yet, which also help keep up our interest, and help out players who are stuck in some way.

For me BG1 and SoA are nearly equal. BG1 just about shades it as I liked the freedom wandering about anywhere, and I especially enjoyed playing a low level party. The plots are maybe a little better in Shadows of Amn, but it gets marked down for the intensely annoying (and apart from the intro, almost entirely unnecessary) Irenicus cutscenes. I REALLY hated them. I have played BG1 and BG2 many times.

ToB, which I am currently playing for the first time is a much less satisfying (for me) game. I don't like the routine of buffing up party with lots of spells, step around the corner, die anyway, because you didn't have the right spells, repeat, die, repeat survive, warp out to heal up and sleep, warp back, buff up, rinse and repeat. It seems bizarre that you can be killed so much more quickly in ToB than BG1, often I dont even know why I am dying. I spend far too much time with the pause button on, in ToB.

Despite all my grumbling, I am still playing, and I would still rate it just above both ID1 and ID2 (not even sure if they should be included in a comparison, since they are seperate and play somewhat differently).

For players who have played many times, try this. Play the BG games without hitting the pause button at all during combat. Now that IS a challenge...

2. Pyro Gems: 5/31

Personally I prefer Planescape, but I suppose that's kinda off-topic :)

Of the 3 games (I don't count TotSC, as it just adds optional content), SoA is easily my favourite. Sure, the original game had a lot more areas to explore, but they didn't have no way near as much content as the ones in SoA. The plot is much more involving, and the quests are a lot more fun. I do believe you become a little too powerfull for your own good in the end, when killing Dragons, Illithid, Beholders, Demons etc. becomes something regular, but it's still a great game from beggining to end.

ToB expands on the problem of overpowered-ness. There are literally tons of +5 and +6 weapons, and the game keeps coming up with stronger and stronger enemies. It gets absurd. Why should the common grunts suddenly become a lot stronger than in the other games for example? Don't get my wrong, I love ToB, it's a Baldurs Gate game after all, but I just feel that it doesn't make much sense gameplay wise.

Having said that, I think I'll go back to playing ToB again, even though SoA is superior :)

3. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I think BG I for story line, and SoA for game play and then ToB for an improved challenge...

Why don't you just get Diablo? (sorry, I didnt intend to swear)

4. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Or play NWN online, cause whatever you do, DON'T PLAY DIABLO!!

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Of those three SoA hands down, BG1 is a bit dull and except for the awesome exploration it doesnt compare to SoA. You cant really do much and your spellcasters have three spells each and most fights are rather similar. The sense of wonder and exploration which perforates that game is really what made it so great.

SoA has almost everything, some more exploration would be nice but when it comes to gameplay, challenge, diversity, just about everything it rocks.

ToB is like SoA without the interesting quests, for me ToB feels like dungeon up dungeon upon dungeon.

6. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

SoA for sure. IWD series was crap

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Definitely Shadows of Amn as it has a right mix of everything. In comparison:

ToB: too hastily done and too typical "hack'em'up and proceed, repeat." IMO they should had done BG3 instead of a bare expansion. :(

BG1: okay, but poor AI and *relatively* outdated graphics spoil it for me, and I really hate spawning enemies (Firewine Bridge -dungeon almost made me mad).

IWD series: should not even be mentioned in the same subject with BG series. They are just typical hack'n'slash, no matter what you say.

8. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

I'd have to say SOA. BG1 at the time was great, but SOA had so much more content, so many more locations, and better graphics. TOB...yeah, it's fun, but not really a full game so not sure that it can compare. The IWD series was fun, but for totally different reasons. All of the Infinity Engine games I've played have been great in my opinion...I just wish someone would make more!

9. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I haven’t played BG1, but from what I’ve read about it in other threads, I don’t think I’d like it much – it seems like there would be too much aimless wandering and trivial quests. Plus I don’t think I could play it for the first time after playing BG2 and enjoy it; I’d keep comparing it to BG 2.

So that leaves SoA and ToB, and its SoA for me. ToB just seems less story-driven. Plus for me, one of the big attractions of RPG’s is the character improvements gained through levelling up, but by the time you’ve reached ToB, you’re already at or near level 20; after that, higher levels are less important, other than the availability of more HLA’s.

10. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

11. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I second Andyr

12. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I enjoyed the few times I have played BG1, yet I often didn't have enough space on my laptop to do a full install so the constant CD changing was rather annoying at times. (especially when certain people think it's fun to hide CDs from me :rolleyes: )

However the graphics of BG2 I liked more and I have played BG2 many more times and know it pretty well. So I'd say SoA was my favourite of the trilogy. ToB seemed a little rushed really and I prefer something longer and less constricted :)

When I have enough space I'm going to try Tutu again

13. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

IWD 1. I just enjoyed the music and the atmosphere of the entire game, and I don't think any of BG series even came close to that aspect of it. SOA has to be mentioned for the NPC interactions and the NPCs themselves though.

14. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Apeman: :D

Crusader: Yeh, the IWD1 ambience was pretty ace.

15. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I would say Baldur's Gate 1 because of its general lack of cheese and simplicity. The storyline was probably better as well.

16. TheBlackRose Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

SoA, with its wealth of mod possibilities and huge amount of gameplay, is clearly dominant.

17. Laertis Gems: 5/31

SoA without a second thought. The side-quests, the NPCs, the storyline...aaahhh...what a game!
    The IWD saga was to straigth-foward to my liking. BG was very boring at times, especially in those areas around the map were after searched all the area the only thing you saw was a pack of kobolds.
    As for ToB...i was disappointed, i was expecting BG3 instead we get a expansion that concludes the Bhaalspaw saga to suddenly.

18. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Of all the people here on the boards who played BG1 before SOA, find SOA better than BG1?

19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Apeman, I played BG1 first and I think I like SOA better, but I haven't come to the end of it yet so I'll have to reserve judgement a bit. In BG1 there was too much aimless wandering. I never really knew where to go next and it felt like I was just clearing black space from the map in the hope of finding something to do.

20. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I also played BG1 first, I enjoyed it a lot but I enjoyed SoA immensly more.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.