1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

VtM Bloodlines Help needed

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Hugo, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] This noon, I've bougth Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, the Troika cRPG about, well, vampires.
    It all installed well, it needed DirectX 9.0c, I gave it... Then, the HORROR, whenever I start the game, it starts up okay, but as I enter the actual *game* (can see the Troika, Activision and White Wolf intro thingies) the screen 'blurs over' and then my monitor goes into standby. Waiting to no avail, I alt-tabbed and ctrl-alt-delled and killed the program. I got the latest Nvidia drivers, retried. Didn't work. I restarted. Didn't work. I re-installed the game in the default directory, and tried again. IT DIDN'T WORK!

So now I wonder - does anyone know what the problem is, and how I can solve it? I can even hear the menu soundtrack but I can't get a visual and it's driving me *INSANE*

PS I run under WinXP Pro, have a PIV 2.4 Ghz, 256MBRAM and a Geforce FX 5600.

:borg:

2. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] I honestly wouldn't know what the problem could be, your graphicscard is much better than mine, but the game runs perfect on my system (so far).

3. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Probably not the problem here, but I should still mention this. I think VTM:Bloodlines requires more RAM than HL2, and the min is 384MB, while 512 is recommended.

As for your problem, can you actually get to the game menu? If so, tinker with the settings.

4. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Also, keep an eye on this site, for the latest developments regarding patches and updates. The game seems to be extremely buggy, and halfway the game, there's even some kind of bug that prevents you from continuing, and you'll need some kind of console command to bypass the sucker. :rolleyes:

That's the problem with developers these days, whatever happens happens, but the game MUST be in the stores before Christmas arrives. Greedy bastards.

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The problem isn't with the developers - the problem is with the publishers. Do not blame the great and glorious Troika :p

Hmm, I really should get this game. It looks pwnatious, despite bugs.

6. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Had the great and glorious Troika any honor in their rotten corpses, they would have delivered a 100% peachy product, regardless what their publishers tell them to do. ;) You don't bring a half finished game on the market, just because it's the holliday season.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    ToEE part deux, anyone?

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

It got only an average rating in Gamespot. Clumsy combat and all that.

9. Istolil Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

At least you guys could get it running. I tried installing the game 3 different times and it just won't run. After I got past the annoying CD/DVD emulation message, I get the Microsoft C++ error message.

I went on the forums and made absolutely sure that I met or exceeded the specs(which I do) and what I could do to fix this. I reset my screen size and turned audio hardware acceleration down to basic. I made sure that my anti-virus was not running during installation and when launching the game. On top of that I did 3 seperate scan disks, defrags (on each of my 3 hard drives) and I used MemTurbo to free up all available RAM. ARGH!!!

If anyone has any thoughts please let me know. I've waited so long to play this game and now it I have it in front of me and can't play it!

Oh yeah, and all drivers are up to date, sound, video and all windows updates too.

[ November 20, 2004, 22:17: Message edited by: Istolil ]

10. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Sounds like you're screwed, mate. More trouble than it's worth. :D

But since it's MS that is complaining, I can only guess that your DirectX is missing something. Did you run DirX scan?

11. Pac man Gems: 25/31

OMG I can't believe it !!!

I'm right in the beginning, just got an appartment in Santa Monica, from which i can operate. There's a PC in the room, and i had 5 e-mails. One of em involved the mainquest i guess, but that's not what got to me. One of the e-mails was a penis enlargement add..... there's no escaping the penis junkmail, not even in games anymore !!! :D

12. Istolil Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I ran the diagnostic and reinstalled Direct 9.0c from the cd itself. Thanks for the suggestion Wirhe but I think you're right. Darnit, I wanted this game so much too.

13. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

@ Pac Man: Sounds like "martianbuddy" from Doom 3.
    The spammers are taking OVER!!!

14. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Yarr, it works now, and it's GREAT!
    The site which was linked up there, somewhere, got me the solution - I highly recommend anyone else with problems to check it out.
    /me is having GREAT FUN!
    :borg:

15. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Nice to see that that worked.

Aside from the bugginess, how is the game?

16. Pac man Gems: 25/31

The game itself is great, i'm pretty far in the game now andit's still getting better and better. Yesterday i encountered my first bug, and it was a real bitch too. During the loading screen after escping the caves below the Society of Leopold the game crashes. No matter how many times you try to reload, it keeps crashing, because basically the game is searching for a non existing location, or a wrong filename. That much became clear to me when bringing up the console, and i saw error after error come by.

So to anyone here who plays this game, there's a big chance you'll face the same problem as i have, and here's how to solve it.....

* Rightclick on your desktopicon, and add "-console" to your target, so it looks like this: "C:bad:Program Files\Activision\Vampire - Bloodlines\vampire.exe" -console

Note that there is a space between exe and -console, if you forget the space the game won't run at all.

When the timer is ticking and you reach the escape boat in named level, don't jump in but bring up the console by pressing ~ on your keyboard and type SaveJohansen()

You'll get a message that you completed the mission and gain some humanity, but it isnt over yet. Immediately bring up the console again, and this time you type ChangeLevel2 LA_hub_1taxi_Landmark

This should take you right back to Downtown LA, where you'll find yourself standing next to a crumbled Lacroix building. Sad that it has to be like this, but until they come off their lazy asses and release a patch, this is the only solution to keep on playing this otherwise great game.

17. Thelves Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hugo, can you please tell me how you found your solution, I have the same problem you had and I CANNOT figure this out, I updated the patch, and my drivers, audio, and Windows XP is all updated as well. Please walk me through this or point me in the direction on how to fix this.

I desperately need this, I really really want to play...

18. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

You could send him a private message. Considering the age of this thread, I wouldn't count on him checking here again.

Anyway, that problem does sound a bit odd after the patches. Only thing I can think of is that have you tried the unofficial patches? They fix some issues with the latest official version. Latest I believe is 1.6, you should google around for it if nothing else works.

19. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

The unofficial patch is definitely a must. I think it's the unofficial patch that fixes your specific issue, since I had a friend who encountered the same without it, and I didn't with it. It's actually version 1.7 now.

20. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

L'll second Alavin's comment about the patch being a must have :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.