1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Top 100 Games SP community thinks you should own

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Abomination, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Sorry, I thought you had played them. I will come with reviews soon, just doesn't have the time right now.

TotL is Trials of the Luremaster, an offical, free, addon made by BI.

I I think that they squeeze money of a game which have been driven to death.
    I think that CS sucks balls.
    I think that the system req are redicoulus for computers that were only one or two years old.
    I think that the story was lame.
    I think that the small critters who attacked your face were just annoying, not fun nor horrifying to meet.
    I think that the game is outright bad.

Sorry, should've stated this before.

2. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Heh, be that as it may Caleb* it's still the best FPS ever made :)

Just because someone squeezes money out of a game doesn't make it bad, it shouldn't be judged by one of its mods (CS, even though most of the world would disagree with you), 'the game is bad' is not a good reason :p

However, the points about system requirements, your opinion of the story and of certain enemies is taken into consideration :)

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Wirhe, I'll remember them, and I dare say many other people, but I'm sure you'll do your best to forget them, if for nothing else, just to spite me, which seems to be a frequent hobby of yours here on the boards. I hope you're enjoying yourself, at least. ;)

4. L Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

Shrikant
    You're getting your Need for Speeds mixed up. I have no idea about V, but II certainly wasn't the one with the cops. II had some pretty bizzare tracks. The one you were thinking of might have had the II in the title ) they have after all had sequels to sequels in there), but it wasn't just NFS II

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

1) How come Splunge hasn't voted for Space Invaders yet?
    2) I agree with Civilization for all the same reasons mentioned.
    3) I nominate Icewind Dale II CRPG
    Pros: Awesome character generation options, more advanced rules than previous games, can make a whole party, fantastic music, some great battles, cool items
    Cons: A bit linear, little NPC interaction
    4) You're doing a great job here Abomination - keep it up
    5) Can't believe the Civ games don't have more votes as I know from previous threads that there are plenty of Civ players on these Boards.

6. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Actually, I was thinking about nominating Etch-A-Sketch. :D

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Spite you? Mua? Would I dare? Do you really think of me so lowly when I treat you with the highest respect every day... You really should *at least* thank me for all I have put up with you.

*Sigh* There just isn't any respect left...

8. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Etch-a-sketch> Half of today's games.

9. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

err... OK.

Hitman
    A 3PS for the PC platform where you play a guy with no memory and absolutly no idea why he is doing the missions, except that he gets paid. (I told you, crappy story.) But the sheer number of ways in which you can kill targets (or not, depending on the mission) using disguises, stealth, skill or just plain bluster make it a very entertaining game. Also the no saving during the mission makes for very wary gameplay, though it can get to you when you missed a turn at the last block and are now dead inches from a succesful mission. Also a game where not everyone is your enemy, where you can't go on a kill fest and sometimes have to save lives to continue. The graphics are a tad jaded for today but remove nothing from gameplay.

Hitman 2
    More of the same. Better graphics and weapons. Also the first time where you are rewarded for carrying out your task with as little bloodshed as possible.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
    This game is nominated for one reason only. Cops chasing you. The first time I had seen that happen in a racing game. A decent selection of cars and some modicrum of customisation. Though the tracks had way too many right angle turns.

Need For Speed: Porshe Unleashed
    Beautiful Porshe cars through the ages. I would have preferred Mercedes though. Great tracks to careen about. Beautiful scenery, ie graphics. One of the smoothest driving experiences on PC. No consoles.

Fifa 2000 was for PC and PS2.

10. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Is Hitman 3 worthy of being on this list? Do you guys have any opinions on it? It got roughly the same reviews as Hitman 2, but nobody seems to comment on it here.

I'm borrowing it from my friend tomorrow hopefully and should see if it's any good. Also, I vote for each of the Civ games, they are genius. Which reminds me...

Alpha Centauri-(PC-Strategy) Obviously, taking Civilization's gameplay and strategy into a sci-fi, space world makes the game even better. I love the custom unit generator and the civs, and the random map generator is awesome. Probably one of my favorite strategy games ever.

11. Abomination Gems: 26/31

I agree with Alpha Centauri.

Medieval: Total War - PC, RTS/TBS
    Pros: Pretty accurate, realistic combat, empire building, family management, moddable.
    Cons: Missile units way underpowered.

Rome: Total War - PC, RTS/TBS
    Pros: Realistic combat, empire building, family management, moddable, engine, graphics, battle-speaches, elephants!
    Cons: Not as accurate as many would hope.

12. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

vote for
    Age of Empire 2 : historically relevent. The bonuses and strength of each civ actually reflects their actual achievement or stereotype (in a good way) in history.

Nominate,
    Mario Brothers, Super Nintendo(??), action
    The colorful mushroom and makes you grow big. The side scroll action. The music that gets into your head and never gets out. The first of its kind in side scroll action game. The bond of Mario and Nintendo, like Final Fantasy and Playstation or Halo and XBox.

13. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Rednik agreed with hitman 1 & 2. :roll: right after the double nomination post.

NFS V was for PC only. Why would an earlier NFS be made for any other platform? Then again I agree I should have been clearer.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit was made for PC only.

Anyways, I think I've nominated just about all the great games I've played.
    Hey just counted the number of games we have already. 117. :banana:
    Though a large number of them have 1 nominationor less. :borg:

14. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just to make HB happy I would vote for all of the Civ games, each installment deserves its own place. Judging them by their era I would say that Civ2 was the best and 1&3 were equally good for their era.

15. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Agree:

Alpha Centauri

16. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Agree: Super Mario Brothers

I'll tally these up in about a month to ensure anyone who wants to have a say has had their say. If there isn't a clear top 100 rankings I'll start a few polls.

17. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Agree: Fallout, Baldur's Gate

Would like to add a cons to Baldur's Gate II, the previous game was so much better :p
    Also the AI was awful, which deserves to be listed, though I don't actually disagree with it being on the list. The quests seemed mostly forced upon you, which I found annoying (probably only in retrospect, but still)

Disagree: Diablo II - because it was a boring, repetitive hunk of crap. Stopped playing it quite a way through, not sure when exactly.

I'd like to add:

Banjo Kazooie [N64]

Genre - platformer.
    This game was just damn fun :)

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time [N64]

Genre - action (sometimes called an RPG)
    Good romp through Hyrule. Had a very epic feel about it and was challenging.

Kirby's Dreamland [Gameboy]

Genre: 2D platformer
    Yeah, okay, so I'm being hopelessly nostalgic here :p Basically, A short walk through dreamland that will take, at most, 40 minutes to finish (not a bad thing). Breathing in and spitting out enemies mindlessly is fun :) (and somehow I don't expect anyone is going to agree with me...)

Wow, I almost sound like a console gamer...

18. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Agree:

Super Mario

19. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Disagree:
    Diablo2 - 1 was so much better imo.

Nominate:

Double Dragon- gameboy, action

The movie sucked bu this was THE gameboy game! c'mon! where else could you drop kick minor bosses o conveyor belts that qould drop them on spikes?? :p

Final Fantasy Tactics - PS; RPG/strategy

Much better than the breath of fire games imo. The story was good and there were so may different things and abilities to do/give to your characters. This game was a must-play.

20. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Just to let you know, Abom, there's two entries of Jazz Jackrabbit in the list on the top post.

I agree that everyone should own Worms. It's a top notch game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.