1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Opinions, please - Updated again

Discussion in 'Playground' started by chevalier, Oct 25, 2004.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Master of Orion 3 (Edit: yeah, it was MoO 3, not 1)
    Morrowind
    Colin Mc Rae Rally 2 (Yeah, not 1)

These are a bit old, so I'd like you to tell me if they aren't too old, as well. In case of Morrowind, I'm also interested to know if you can play a paladin sort of individual, or at least something that is neither a wuss nor a dumbarse (and by this I don't mean a thief). Thoughts?

[ October 31, 2004, 22:36: Message edited by: chevalier ]

2. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Morrowind is great. It certainly is not too old. Heck, age just means more mods are available to improve it.
    In the vanilla game there isn't really that much roleplaying unfortunately, but it's still a great game.
    By Paladin do you mean rp wise, or skill wise? If the first, then yes, you can sort of play a good guy. If you mean more the latter, then of course. You can pretty much play any type of character, and if you get bored of your current playstyle, just start using differant skills.

3. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

My Morrowind charater is a spellsword (casts spells, uses medium armor and a long blade) The only real difference i can tell at this point between the types of character you have in Morrowind are your primary skills (which effect how quick you level). But,as Kam said, to improve any other skill, you just have to start using it and you gain experience in it.

Haven't played any other character, but if there are paladin type skills then there would definitely be use for them in my opinion, as there are plenty of undead/daedra, and there are definitely good and evil ways of completing the quests. There are also an vast number of objects/enchantments/weapons/etc which you'd be able to choose as you progressed to customise your character to be a paladin.

As for Colin McRae - driving games are never too old. I still enjoy a bit of carmageddon 2, never was a bit fan of McRae, but it was still good, and if i ever saw Gran Tourismo 2 for the pc i'd definitely buy it.

4. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Morrowind sort of sucks, I can't believe I'm stuck with two copies. It's the type of game that you will play for a little while and think it's complete genius, and it's great to a point. However, once you hit that point, you'll realize how shallow the NPC's are (They're just walking search engines), how boring the dungeons are, and how boring the overall plot is.

Aside from that, the skill system is easily exploited, and comes off as rather dull as well. If you keep the sneak button on overnight, you will have a sneaky character in the morning, and so on.

Lastly, every animal in the world is against you, from crabs to vampires, they will hunt you down and engage you in crappy point and click combat.

5. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I recently started playing Morrowind again, probably for the 5th time, completely revamped the game with all sorts of new mods that i've never seen before, and i still think it's one of the most entertaining games ever. Since you can probably find it in the bargainbins these days, it wouldn't hurt you to try it out.

6. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Colin Mc rally is boring.

7. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Master of Orion :thumb:
    Though if you're talking about the first one, it is old (1994 I believe). It's one of the most fun strategy/management games I've played though. Never got around to playing the sequels unfortunately (I think they got as far as 3)

Morrowind is a game I played for around 10 minutes. During the first half I was amazed at the graphics, the skill system, etc. Then I realized how dull the game is (as Rednik points out), and stopped. There's really nothing to do but walk and kill everything that attacks you (ie mostly everything in the countryside). I never saw any of the mods, so I can't say if they improve the game.

Colin McRae 2 (never saw 1) is the only car racing game I have ever enjoyed, so it *has* to be good! ;)

8. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

MoO was a fantastic game in it's time, but it's too old now.

I picked up Morrowind from the bargain bin over half a year ago and just started playing it this month.
    It takes time to understand how the leveling system works and how to select the right skills for the character you want.

The morrowind community is fairly large and active so you'll be able to get help. There are also plenty of FAQ's (I checked out gamefaqs.com) to steer you the right way.

You're supposed to pay trainers to train your skills up as a complement to the skill points you gain from actual experience. You will also spend time training skills on your own, by doing the same thing over and over again until you gain another skill point.
    That is not fun.

The environment is good looking, but OTOH huge portions of the world has a very depressing look, similar to an overcast day in the fall.

You join guilds or factions and can in fact join many of them with the same character. There are huge numbers of quests. Most are fedex type though (Go pick me some flowers...).

In conclusion I'm kind of happy with Morrowind. I can't see myself ever finishing the game though, it's not that good.

If you have plenty of time to spend it's a decent buy from the bargain bin.

9. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31

Master of Orion II is playable even today. One of the best space strategy games ever. Apparently MoO3 seems like a mod for Excel though.

10. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I would have to agree that Master of Orion II is still a great game. Master of Orion III is a complete and utter piece of garbage.

I found Morrowind to be very pretty but ultimately quite dull. The NPCs and quests are as interesting as ditch water so the game pretty well turns into aimlessly wandering around killing things. This seems kind of funny given that I enjoyed Daggerfall.

11. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Never played Master of Orion, so can't comment.

Morrowind is boring and rubbish.

Colin McRae is a good racing game. It you're into racing games.

12. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31

Morrowind is spectacular! You could play as a paladinish character, easy -- just join up with the Imperial Legion or the Imperial Cult, or hunt down the heads of the Thieves' Guild and Camonna Tong. There are lots of daedra to slay, too -- one of my favorite activities was desecrating daedra temples. (No particular quest -- just my own personal vendetta, heh heh.) There's a premade "Crusader" class, but don't be enticed -- it's better if you custom-create your class. You could even call it, uh, the "Chevalier".

Give Morrowind a try. It's well worth a few months of sleepless nights.

13. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Morrowind is great. The ability to customise your classes are great fun. If you want to be a 'paladin-esque' class then I'd suggest taking either Nord, Reguard or Imperial (Orc might be plausable) grabbing Long Sword, Heavy Armor, Restoration Magic, Persuasion and Block or Athletics (depends on what type of weapon combination you want, two handed sword or sword and shiled) as your primary skills and Medium Armor, Armorer, Mercantile, Blunt Weapon and Athletics or Mysticism (depending on your first choice, if you already have Athletics take Mysticism) for your minor skills. Join the Imperial Legion, Imperial Cult and Fighter's Guild for Paladin-like quests, you could even join the Temple if you want to be more 'native'.

Master of Orion? Don't bother, get Master of Orion II - it's FAR better. That being said, MOO2 is brilliant, pretty much like Civilization in space and the ability to customise your race is a fun feature. It's a must have for any strategy and sci-fi buff.

Rally? Never played racing games much, they're only good with friends IMO pretty much like fighting games and if you're talking about the PC version (is there one?) then do not get it.

14. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Master of Orion

A legend among legends. I'd advice you to go for MoO2 instead. As it basically has everything that MoO has with better graphics and some extra. Not exactly like that but close enough (MoO is better in some ways than MoO2, and vice versa). My system doesn't run either, as MoO is dos and MoO2 somehow makes my mouse confused. But if you can make em work, I suggest you try them out.

Morrowind

To me Morrowind is just a sorry excuse for a roleplaying game. While it certainly was beautiful at least when it first came out, and offered a huge freedom, it has no immersion of plot, dialogue and interesting characters at all. So If you're used to the depth that BG2 for example offers, don't go for this one. For someone who just wants a game where to level, find stuff and read unimmersive text like you were reading a history book instead of following actual people make conversation, this would fit perfectly.

Colin Mc Rae Rally

Never cared a bit for sports games so I can't say.

15. chevalier

Media:
    Well, sorry guys, but it was Master of Orion 3 and Colin McRae Rally 2. My bad, I failed to remember the numbers.

The reason why I'm asking is that the biggest local distributor is having some sort of promo: you buy 3 games of their "Classics" series, you get a fairly new game for just the shipment fee. You buy five games from that series, you get a new game.

Except ones that I already have or know that I won't buy, here's the list:

Morrowind
    Master of Orion 3
    Colin McRae Rally
    Desperados
    Etherlords 2
    Fallout Tactics
    Industry Giant 2
    Worms World Party

It's not like all are great games, but I can get Crusader Kings for buying three of those, and here's the deal: I'm going to buy Crusader Kings anyway, and three of those games plus shipment will cost me not much more than buying Crusader Kings alone would. Even buying three random games would pay off, but I'd rather not get stuck with something I won't play.

I'm getting Morrowind today, so what other two are still worth playing despite their age?

[ October 28, 2004, 18:26: Message edited by: chevalier ]

16. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Fallout: Tactics if you don't already have it is worth the buy. It's a VERY good tatical simulator in the Fallout universe and it gives you an in-depth look at the Brotherhood of Steel.

MOO3 is confusing at first but once you start to understand the mechanics of the game you'll find it VERY fun. It has all the functions of MOO2 with more. Many people are confused by the sheer vastness and ability to micromanage but you're an intelligent guy, you'll have no problems.

Etherlords 2 is a fairly interesting game. VERY nice graphics for its time. However if you don't like the concept of card-based strategy (e.g. Magic: The Gathering) and if a storyline is a necessary concept for you then don't bother with it.

Worms World Party is great fun with friends. However unless you plan on playing other people at it the game is rather pointless. Just like Colin McRae Rally 2.

Crusader Kings is a game I actually want to play but I hear that Medieval: Total War, despite it's age, is still better. I guess they're just trying to get rid of Crusader Kings and that's why they're having the promotion?

17. chevalier

Media:
    I don't really know their plans but yeah, it seems they're getting rid of games before giving them chance to rot on shelves. My guess is that Crusader Kings will join the reduced price Classics series so long as this promo is over and they move on to the next one. That's how it was with IWD2.

Medieval: Total War is great, but for some reason it's expensive here and they aren'r reducing the price any time this year. Don't know why. It's a pretty niche game, after all.

18. Rednik Gems: 21/31

I agree with Abomination, Fallout Tactics is awesome, although Fallout 1/2 are better. You should play them before Tactics. It's still an excellent romp though.

19. chevalier

Media:
    Hmm... not to spam the boards with another thread, seeing as you guys obviously have had experience with Morrowind, what's the better race for a paladinish kind of spellsword (would be longsword, restoration and speech, I guess) between Imperial and Breton (want to keep it human, and Nord or Redguard doesn't fit)? Imperials have longsword bonuses and are best suited for speech etc, while unfortunately get will penalty. Bretons have the nice intelligence and willpower bonus, but they are believed to suck at anything else than pure magery.

While I have nothing against heavy reliance on magic, I'm not going to give up sword combat or talking skills.

20. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

@ chev: Actually, a Dark Elf would probably be the best choice for any sort of Fighter/Mage char as they get bonuses to both longsword and magicka in general. Actually, they work very well for pretty much any class with their bonuses.

Back on topic, Fallout Tactics is a good game, but nowhere near as good as Jagged Alliance 2. It's incredibly linear, but still great fun. It's nicely gorey, but quite often the bodies lay over scenery and it looks crap. Also,

SPOILER

SPOILER

Whatever you do, don't take the APC into the fourth base. It'll get stuck and you can't use it again.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.