1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ever enjoy cheating?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Takara, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Heh, running amok in GTA was sure fun with cheats on. But I agree with Aik, that most games grow dull with cheats. Without challenge, they generally dont last. But there are a few exceptions for me. But not many.

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Well, way back when the original Bard's Tale came out I got quite a thrill by hex editing my characters. I had already beaten the game once so it was more for the challenge of being able to do it than to help me play the game. It was quite fun monkeying around trying to figure out what each section of code did, trying out all of the possible items etc. If I remember correctly there were quite a few gag items that were not available in the game - holy hand gernades anyone?

This was back in the good old days before the general public had ever heard of the internet and character editor programs were unheard of.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    LMAO! I did the same thing with Bard's Tale! Too much. :lol:

4. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Yeah, I hex edited my Might and Magic 1 and 2 characters. But the sad thing is, I STILL can't beat M&M 2... even with insanely enchanted equipment (photon blade + 20 is when I decided to stop) the monsters still manage to kill me.

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    DHB sweet, how about filching all ammo from Metzger's band before the fight? :shake: :lol:

6. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I cheated at the end of Ultima VII: BG (running on Exult). For some reason the game went screwy, and my mana refused to return (even after resting), Arcadion refused to do anything (no matter how many times I let him glut himself on a kill - this meant *he* couldn't return my mana either), and Hook's key refused to open the last door.

Thus, I cheated.

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I don't cheat in RPGs but I found it pretty fun to cheat in StarCraft :) "show me the money" and "black sheep wall" hehe.

8. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    @Blog: MM2 adapts the number of monsters and their difficulty in most fights to your characters' level. So, the more you cheat, the harder the monsters you have to fight :)

Using spells (and plenty of them) is the only way to survive certain fights, IMO.

9. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I cheat like crazy in a lot of games. Expecially games like Duke Nukem 3D. I barely ever cheat in any RPG's, because it really takes the fun out of it.

Oh, and looks like we'll have another person with a Rogue Stone soon!

10. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

In pretty much any multiplayer game I'll flagrantly cheat if I can get away with it. I also do this in board games. I don't do it to win, just because I enjoy it. If I'm playing with someone who wants a fair match, all they have to do is say so and I'll play fair, but otherwise if I can use glitches, or whatever, I'll do it.

All in good fun.

11. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I used cheats in the "Cossacks" campaigns. Some levels were just not fair. If you were still building up your economy, the enemy was already sending massive armies your way, making it as good as impossible to succesfully complete a quest. So i used a cheat which gave me money, food, wood, stone, coal, and iron, and took away the fog of war to see from which direction the enemy would come. I really hated doing that, but getting destroyed time and time again wasn't much fun either.

I also give myself money in SimCity 4000, i simply can't seem to turn a city into a profitable business. Unlike in SimCity 3000, it's really hard to make money in 4000. I've tried and i tried, but i couldn't do it. I found one cheat that gives you 1000 Simolians, but you gotta keep hitting the buttons on your keyboard. If you wanna "donate" 500.000 Simolians to your budget, it means that you have to hit a button on your keyboard 500 times, and frankly i think that's a little tiresome. So if anyone knows of a cheat that gives you a lot of money with one single action, i'd be grateful if you shared it with me. :D

I also used to cheat when facing dragons in SoA, but that was when i hadn't fully discovered the meaning and power of several spells to protect your characters. I no longer have to do that, thank goodness.

That's it, i never cheat in any other games, because basically it takes the fun and exitement out of a game, but sometimes there's simply no other way.

12. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Heh, I used to use "fake talk" against dragons. That was before I knew the game too well. I havent used that 'cheat' in ages now.

13. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I only played ToB once and cheated at the end fight - because I built a crappy Kensai and didn't really know how to use him. The rest of the vanilla campaign was so damned easy; there really was no need for me to explore the depths of the character. Didn't work against Melissan, though. I did feel robbed of my rightful ascension afterwards. Therefore, in retrospective I'd rather not have cheated...

At other times I get bored with a story and just want to get it over with. Unfortunately, I'm way too neurotic to simply pu the game aside - unfinished games make me all itchy. PoR2: RoMD was the only time I managed to pull the plug. Normally, I even have to finish crappy games, hence I cheat sometimes to shorten the torture.

14. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Doom 3 - coz it was boring and i wanted to see the bosses.

I've been thinking about cheating on Postal 2, for a bit of fun.

Recently cheated on the second worm boss on Tron2.0 coz the stupid data wraiths kept owning me.

When i first started playing video games and i was no good at them, i couldn't play without cheating, but now i hate having to cheat, but sometimes its the only way to get past a bit of a game (when you just saved with little life left and you find a big baddy waiting around a corner :doh: , for example).

15. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

For console games I almost always cheat so I can get all the lvls/cars/guns, etc.

I don't own a console, so whenever I play on one for a couple hours I figure there's no way I'm going to beat the game legit, so I might as well see some cool stuff.

16. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Well, I cheat by repeating missions so that I get better stats when my characters level up in Fire Emblem. Its more "abuse" of the game engine, but I'd rather do that, than have characters with crappy stats...

And that game is helluva lot of fun... :D

17. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I'm with the Jedi Knight people. The game is incredibly fun when you have full disposal of all the force powers you need from the start. I don't go godmode though, ever. But I do like to play a "Jedi Master" over a feeble padawan. Usually pursuing a theme of some sort. Say a completely good Jedi, or a completely Evil one. I love the games where the only healing power you have is level 1 Force Drain. And yes, realistic saber combat comes as obvious, as I never play without that OR the close combat abilities (grabs, holds & kicks, and quick dodges) even in an otherwise uncheated game.. Man it's fun to make the limbs go flying. And of course the compulsory Grip 3 + Lightning 2, or Grip 3 + Saberthrow 3 combinations are also a must from the start.

Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross both had the "+Game" option. Meaning that after playing the game through once so that you'd done basically all of the essential quests, you could start again with all the powers, experience and stuff you had when you finished that last game. Not exactly cheating but the effect gameplay-wise is pretty much the same. Nothing was much of a challenge after that. The fun part though was that in +Game you could finish the game in a variety of different ways because of your extra power. For example during the cliché where your nemesis would come and beat the crap out of your gang, in +Game you could well be powerful enough to beat him instead and effectively end the game there. :)

That idea is something I wish they'd put in other games as well. Precisely in that order, that you could not possibly be strong enough to do any of that the first time through, but second or third time...

Sometimes I also cheated in MoO1 & 2. It's incredibly fun to play a sort of "Vorlon" game where you create a hugely succesful, scientifically advanced empire and basically set yourself in a position where you're the controlling force of the galaxy watching those young baby races make their first trips out of their planets. And then of course dictate how they should go about with their lives and politics. Ahh the memories...

Protecting the Mrrshan / Elerians against other races (helpless females, how could I resist ;) ), doing your best to offer these races protection through an alliance and giving them your own planets deep from within your territory to guarantee their survival. Contacting their enemies and trying to convince them to stop the war, being cheated on and called a scum that will be erased by a race that can't muster enough strength to destroy the smallest of your little fighters, and then blowing their planet to stoneage but just letting them live... Then they beg for peace and attempt to give you some form of donation you have absolutely no need for.

.. then ending up in a war *with* the Mrrshan / Elerians you're trying to protect, putting battleships to their orbits keeping them trapped inside their planet and giving them huge amounts of gifts to buy peace (notice the similarity between real life females :D ) only to make them angry again after a while.

Gah, I have to find out why my Master of Orion 2 isn't working. I need that game so desperately.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.