1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Are NWN or IWD worth playing?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Neimad Snave the Dark Bladed, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Neimad Snave the Dark Bladed Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I have become a god and back plenty of times during my baldurs gate 1&2 games but have done it all plenty of times n want new challenges is neverwinter or icewind worth playing? :confused: i havnt heard to much about them and would like to know befor buying them

[ September 29, 2004, 00:46: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

Well, if you like hack and slash type of games, then Icewind Dale I & II are perfect for you. Neverwinter Nights is lame, but I haven't tried the expansions yet.

3. iceviper Gems: 1/31

NWN is a good game.not like BG2 but deffinetly has it's qualities with the graphics,3rd edition rules and the story line.
    The expansions does give you something extra, although i recommend Hordes of the Underdark more than Shadows of Undrentide.HotU is just great,and in my oppinion should have been the main plot of the entire game.

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

wrong forum i think :) imo, NWN was a waste of time :/

5. Xenecor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

6. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

They're definately worth getting.
    Here's how I'd rate them.

Icewind Dale 1+HOW : 8.5/10

Icewind Dale 2 : 8/10

Neverwinter Nights OC : 7/10

Shadows of Undrentide : 8.5/10

Hordes of the Underdark 9/10

As you can see, you should buy them all. ;)

7. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I would get Icewind Dale 1+2 and HoW, you can get them all in a bundle. I have many good memories from IWD 1, and it is extremely fun with a 4 man party. IWD 2 is sort of lame, but Icewind Gate is already an open beta, so if you don't like the game itself, remember that you can covert BG2 to the IWD2 engine.

Don't even bother with NWN, I have the original, which was boring and stupid, and the expansion, Shadows of Undrentide, which was just an exercise in tedium.

8. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I feel they are not.

9. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

All of them are, Iwd with how is great, not bg great, but one of the best hack'n'slahses out there, since it actually contains a good story and require some tactic instead of a pure clickfest like diablo.
    Iwd 2 is kin of the same only with a worse story :)

NWN contains it all, the oc sucks, the expansions are good, particularly HotU. and the mods and online games really makes it a great game

10. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    NWN is only worth purchasing if you're interested in multiplayer. The OC sucks, SoU sucks, HotU is fun, but not exceptional.

Now, if you find a nice server, well, it's more than worth buying

11. Neimad Snave the Dark Bladed Gems: 1/31

12. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I have tried both and neither of them is even nearly as good as BG2. If you do not (seriously) like hack'n'slash a lâ Dungeon Siege, stay away from them. :nolike:

13. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

they are no way near as bad as dungeon siege, first of all IWD is with the right parties more of a tactical challenge then a Hack'n'slash, second of all, it contains a good story, like I said before. while Dungeon siege was pure graphic, it didn't even had the clickfest like Diablo, because the AI would fight fore you.

And NWN is complete different thing, the OC and the expansions might be mostly hack'n'slash, although I still think HotU had a solid story, the mods you can download is a complete different thing. If you want a lot of rp, Check out "in the footsteps of dante" and "nature of a man", they tell a great story of what might have happened after PS:T and have a lot more rp then battle.
    same goes for most of the mods that a ranked highest and have received a place in the hall of fame.

14. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Look at total topics and posts of their respective forum here and i am sure you can find your answer.

15. Tiberius Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

IWD yes play away, NWN I would say no. I have played it twice and the second time was so tedious to me. This is just my opinion of course but I would play IWD before I played NWN any day of the week.

16. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I'll vouch for IWD2 and NWN:HotU. But I'd vote for Morrowind above either!

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I happily played Icewind Dale II for a year. The character creation options in that game provide something a bit different from the other games. It is a hack n slash for sure, but that means it has several very tricky encounters that require planning and tactics. I like it.

I have never finished the Neverwinter Nights original campaign. The game concept is great but it's a shame the story is SO tedious and repetitive. I didn't like it (glad I only bought it second hand).

18. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I have them both + their exp packs, but i still need to complete ID II, and i haven't started playing NWN though....

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.