1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I need a new game!

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I'm pretty open to suggestions, seeing as how it's been about 2 years since my last game purchase. Games types I really like (in order of preference):

1. Fantasy/RP - but with real movement. I hate games like FF where I hit you, then you hit me, in a strict turn-based sequence.

2. RTS - my favorite from this genre was definitely Starcraft

3. Strategy in general with an emphasis on wars within set geographies.

The only games that I absolutely won't do are FPS. I hate them. We've done every conceivable thing with FPS, and I don't care what we're killing or how cool the graphics are, they're just different versions of the same theme.

2. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    X2: The Threat for some space trading?

3. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

RPG recommendations:

Divine Divinity - not the best of graphics, but a surprisingly absorbing game. It can also be bought at budget prices - I got it for £5.

Arcanum - guns and magic. Hurrah!

RTS recommendations:

Spellforce - terrible voice-acting, but an excellent game in all other respects. Good merge of RTS and RPG. Becomes just a standard RTS in multiplayer though, which is a shame.

Age of Mythology (plus Titans) - Nice story and units, with three (four with Titans) completely unique races.

Kohan: Ahriman's Gift - without strategy, you fail. No more idly throwing units at the enemy! Customisable companies, and an absolutely huge amount of different units.

Other Strategy recommendations:

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic - haven't played this in a while, but it has about 15 unique races, and the skirmish mode is fantastic. Multiplayer is a bit of a let-down, since you can't micro-manage the battles like you can in singleplayer.

Sorry about the amount of games - I got a bit carried away...

4. Dark Haired Beauty Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I recomend Empire Earth. You seem to like Civ III plus I saw it for $20 today.

5. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

You could try 'Gothic II' for some RPGing with an enjoyable combat. The game is quite nice graphics wise, everything is voice acted and there are several paths to choose from to finish the game.

If you liked Civ III get conquests to add many more features to your game and it'll make you play Civ quite a few more times to try the new units, new strategies and the new scenarios.

6. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

This won't earn me any friends on SP, but I absolutely love gaming consoles that are 3-8 years outdated. The first things that come to mind are the Nintendo 64 and the Super Nintendo ES.

Unfortunately, I never played any RPGs (unless you count Zelda: Ocarina of Time) on the N64, but I'm sure there are several good fantasy games. SNES had some other RPGs. First things that come to mind are Secret of Evermore and Chrono Trigger.

---

Okay, I realize that you are probably not talking about console games and that you want games that are reasonably new. I suggest Warcraft 3 (I liked it a lot), Vampire: the Masquerade - Redemption (RPG), Myst series, and Final Fantasy XII (I don't think it's turn-based).

7. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Strategi:
    Hearts of Iron, with the latest patch(1.6 I think) this game is a great simulation of the world around 1936-1948, from the makers of European universalis 1 and 2 (lol didn't that sound like something from a gamebox?)

Civ3: Conquest.

Warcraft 3 with frozen throne, great single player campaign and it's fun multiplayer or at least it used to be.

Roleplay:

Divine divinity as already said, this game is kewl in it's own little way, kinda combine bg with Diablo.

Gorasul: legacy of the dragon. I found this game a couple a days ago and so far its great, its kinda like a mix between Divine divinity and bg (which makes it two part bg and one part diablo). Its really funny there are a couple a classes you can choose between and you can get a party of up to 4 people.

Sure it will, I for one love Chrono trigger, Secret of mana, Saiken dentetsu, Terranigma and so on. does old Rpg's are great

8. Elendrile Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I highly, HIGHLY recommend Knights of the Old Republic. Though seeing as you haven't purchased anything in the last two years tells me your PC might not be able to run it right now. But I have to say there is absolutely no RPG that has addicted me so; not PST, not the BG series.

9. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I'm with Abomination, get Gothic 2, (and this is important), not until you play the original Gothic. There's a couple of reasons: so you'll know what's going on in the world, so you'll know all of the people from the original that you'll meet, and so the crappy controls in Gothic 2 will seem better. :D

Try Deus Ex (the original, I haven't played 2), or one of my favorites, System Shock 2. Hands down, one of the best RPGs ever. But be warned: you said no FPSs, and both of those are first person POV RPGs.

Vampire was really good. Kinda reminded me of NWN with a great single player story. Recomended.

10. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

RPG: Torment or KotOR, both of which are very good.

Strategy: Age of Mythology is an entertaining game, and so is Medieval: Total War (although Rome: Total War is coming out later this year).

11. Void Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

RPGS:

I would higly recommend Arcanum. The NPC interaction is really good and diplomacy plays an important part in the game (if you want it to). It also has an excellent point-based character creation system and the while technology VS magic thing is great.

I'd also recommend Torment, Baldur's Gate series and pretty much anything from that company (as would nearly anyone who's played them, especially with Torment), for all the same reasons as everyone else.

Morrowind is very enjoyable purely because of the freedom - you can explore every inch of wilderness on a whole massive continent, although some of the sub quests are impossibly tedious and it's way too easy to become massively overpowered.

Strategy: Age of Mythology and WC3 are both great (get the expansions). AOM focuses on macro more than WC3 (i.e. economy managment).

12. Sirus Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

For the RPG catagory I HIGHLY reccomend Knight's of the Old Republic.

For the RTS catagory try out Rise of Nations.

13. Hugo Gems: 15/31

KotOR is absolutely GREAT.
    If, and only if, you're into vampire things, Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption will be great fun (I loved it), and it's budget-class by now (saw it for 5 euro's the other day) - Morrowind (+expansion pack(s)) is/are great fun.
    If you don't mind a bit of hack'n'slash at times, try Sacred.

AoM and WC3 were cool, and Rise of Nations is cool IF you don't mind a heavy focus on research, combat that IMHO is kinda difficult to predict, and a rather different resource gathering system - Imo Empire Earth was boring, can't say why, I liked RoN which really isn't so different...
    I also agree that, despite it being a FPS, Deus Ex has more RP'ing, and more freedom of action, than many a good RPG - I didn't care much for FPS games either until I played DX - don't bother with Deus Ex 2 though, it pretty much was just another FPS with in the DX setting.
    Also, if you haven't allready, buy the Broodwar expansion for SC, it adds a new 3-campaigns that each are just as good as the OCs."
    On a side note, I should get Arcanum some day soon, I've heard it being praised with great praise by many SP'ers. The best recommendation an RPG can get IMHO.
    :borg:

14. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Everqurst..if you wanna dish out 10$ a month ;P

15. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds and Clone Campaigns. It's like Age of Empires but with Wookiees and Stormtroopers. It's fairly entertaining.

16. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

NO! NOT EVERCRACK! Do NOT play a MMORPG! It will destroy you! It will consume you! IT IS THE END OF DAYS! Avoid them at all costs. You will find reality and fantasy to switch places. You will think your job is collecting goblin head bounties for 1 platnim a skull... Do NOT get into this game or any game like it.

Resist... resist... resist...

17. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

the second dues ex has extremely good graphics but the story is kinda linear :S i got bored with it halfway through. The first Dues Ex is highly recommended though. AoM is Great Game, dont know bout XP. WC3 is a sweet game with great single player. For strategy, if you dont already have it, i would recommend Age of Empires 2: The Age of Kings, and the Expansion The conquerors(sp?) be careful though, its extremely addictive. Last night i started playing at 4 pm and seemed like ten minutes later and its 6am

18. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

If you want a cool RPG, you should really get Diablo 2! :D

Due to my laptop specs I haven't been able to buy any game that has appeared recently but I am more into oldish games anyway.

Vampire: The Masquerade is nice, but the single player only allows you to take simple 2-choice dialog decisions that will increase/decrease your humanity, but that is all the RPG I could find in it. The rest is pure hack and slash (and blood sucking). I loved the story and the possibility of being a vampire, though.

Arcanum is a treat if you like RPG games. No other game I have seen offers the amount of possibilities when solving quests, and the freedom of action that Arcanum gives. The problem is that the real time combat mode is really bad.

Don't like FPS? I don't like them either, but you may consider Thief and Thief 2. They are First Person Sneakers. Old, but still good. The sounds are absolutely brilliant. Although you can kill enemies you are rewarded for not doing so, and for not being noticed. In some missions, killing is strictly forbidden. "You are a thief, not an assasin".

I don't particularly like RTS, can't help you there.

19. Hugo Gems: 15/31

Oh yes, how could I have forgotten - Thief was really good too.
    I considered it pretty creepy though.
    AoK is also way cool especially multiplaying, but IMO AoM was even better + it's newer so it looks prettier.
    All the Age of ... games are rather addictive IMO, but then again, I am easily absorbed into things.
    It has only a fraction of the 'races' AoK had, but unlike AoK, they are all hugely different (rather then almost the same in AoK)
    :borg:

20. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    If you don't mind firstperson view, try Morrowind. This is a great game with a big world and culture to explore. I like it very much and had an addiction with it together with BG's and IWD's.

If hacking and slashing is you're thing: Diablo 2 or Sacred.

For RTS I reccomend Warcraft 2 (not 3). This is a budget title but a lot of fun.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.