1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is Diablo 2 any fun ...now?

Discussion in 'Diablo 1 & 2' started by chevalier, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, I didn't get a single one in the whole game. And as far as I know (I read this in a review), you are not supposed to get uniques in single-player at all (apart from the story-related ones, obviously). You can't complete any sets in single-player either.

2. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Well I have 3 character fully loaded (chest included) with uniques and I play single player exclusively. Also I have several sets complete, the trick is to trade between several chars. It is nigh impossible to complete one with one char.

And with ATMA you can distribute them freely among your chars.

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hey Ape (or whomever),

Can you point me towards any mods or hacks that increase your chances for receiving a unique/magic/set items in the single player game? Or anything else similar? I would really appreciate it.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yea well, I was talking about regular playing without having to resort to cheats, editors, or trading between your own characters. That's not my idea of fun.

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Online play doesn't differ from the single-player much, so don't recommend it. It's just running around with increased difficulty and some other player running somewhere around the map, stealing items and such. :nolike:

But when there really is team-play, it's a great game to play online, and even the single-player mode should last more than one gaming session. Of course, since I always play as a necromancer, my opinion might be a bit biased by the fact that I always let others to do the dirty job and snatch the goodies while they are at it. :grin:

6. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Look Tal, I play single player without duping/cheating or whatever, you are talking to the biggest defender of fair play. But if I want to have my barbarian use the sword I found with my sorcerer it only makes sense if they can trade it.

I can understand why you think the game isn't fun when you don't find anything or don't trade, well that's your loss. What's the difference between trading between online players or with your different single player chars?

@death rabbit, I don't cheat so I wouldn't know, I only use ATMA to make the game more reachable.

7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Okay, but what the hell is ATMA?

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    FYI - any item that gives a % increase to find magical weapons, also increases your chances of finding rares and uniques.

9. Taluntain

Media:
    Apeman, if Blizzard wanted you to be able to do it, there'd be an option in the game. So argue semantics all you want, but I consider it cheating. Not that I have any problems with cheating, I just didn't find Diablo 2 worth spending my time on any more than it took to finish it. And I managed that with a necromancer with relative ease. It was only a pain because it was boring, repetative, ugly, and pretty shallow. I had more fun replaying the original Diablo a few months ago.

10. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Only once? Then you didn't try the harder difficulties? At the easiest setting the maps ARE pretty boring and empty, but at 'Hell' they are amped full of unique monsters and helluva difficult regulars. Unfortunately, at this point team-play has been made mandatory with the latest patch, published sometime this or previous year (1.10, IIRC)

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

If it got any more full of monsters, than woe! Imagine the tedious hours spent clicking :sleep:

12. ToTaL Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Like Tal, i played single player only with Necro and finished normal and nightmare only... After that i stopped playing diablo 2 for about a year and after that returned to it and played multiplayer for another year ... :rolleyes:

My conclusion: single player... is boring, but playable like solitaire, multi player is more fun, especially if you have good company... I had great time playing with few buddies i knew, but when we switched to the bnet... Well i stopped playing, it wasnt that great if you dont play with people you know or if you have bad luck and enter the games with stupid and childlish people... Of course, as much as we looked forward to 1.10, it came out to be complete disaster if you ask me... Ok the game was a bit inbalanced with 1.09, but it was more inbalanced with 1.10, and that charm... They wanted to remove SoJ economy, but they just replaced it with that charm... :rolleyes:

And as for hardcore... People say it is much better than softcore, but i dont have time and nerves for it... and connection, my v90 modem gets laggy very often...

Edit: and yes, if you ask me: diablo 2 looks worse than diablo 1, i dislike desert, jungle, and everything else looks... so so, as for diablo 1, i liked that extra act 2 from hellfire, and caves... ok, light effects with frozen orb look nice in act 5, especially during night or in frozen caves...

13. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I hate the jungle...it was so tedious(sp?)

14. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I don't think that you can play or not the game based in a few opinions, you can find lots of articles saying that is the best game ever and lots saying the other, the same you will find here. I always thought that is just a matter of taste; let's say, I like real time strategy games, never liked turn based; I like some kind of race games, even I like emulators; I have my friend who bought D2 then the expansion, he liked the game a lot, not me, is not the style that I want/like in a game. Again, is a matter of taste, it doesn't mean that because I don't LIKE the game it is have to be a bad game.
    Oh man, sometimes is hard to express in english...
    Get the idea?
    Best regards

15. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I played the game at battle.net, and I was ADDICTED. Then, I learned that the ladder was going to reset. It pissed me of. I was pretty damn rich in the normal game; I had a MF (magic find(find magical stuff)) of 592, which I found alot of good things with (soj, seraphs and other Elite stuff)

I had full Tal Rasha set, full IK, lotsa high runes (Ist, Mal, Um, Pul)

then when the new ladder came, I got excited and deleted all my old chars. big mistake.

this was the same day the new ladder came. Within hours, some people were already at lvl 85.
    pointless for me to try and compete for the number 1 spot.
    So instead, I got back to BG II, which is a much better game.

Diablo 2 LoD can be fun, but its very addictive, and you basicly do the same stuff over and over and over again, HnS only.

16. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    I played Diablo2 and finished up all the the way through Hell with all character classes.

Thoughts:
    -For any class save the Necromancer, the game difficulty rises to very hard in Nightmare and then straight to insane in Hell.
    -The semi-boss ability randomizer can get very nasty, especially during hell difficulty. Anything that's Lightning Enchanted+Multiple Hit is better left alone.
    -To beat the game in higher difficulties without too much trouble prior knowledge is needed... You must know where to put your skill and stat points. A few levels worth of mistake is enough reason to start over.
    -You need to play extensively to make up for bad luck. If you don't have a Wand with +1/2 to Necromancer Skill Levels by Nightmare for example, extensive amounts of save-and-exit/load is required so you can acquire such an item. Depending on your luck, you might save-and-exit/load enough to cover for the 354 times you died trying to kill a boss without the item.
    -If you want to play a Paladin, get ATMA/Shadowmaster/Jamella Editor.
    -Paladin can be the worst pain at higher difficulty levels.
    -Kurast (Unless you're in lower Kurast already), ie the jungle chapter, has a very annoying background (its the trees) and contains some of the most annoying little cretins I've ever encountered in my gaming lifetime. (ie, festishes and the 2-foot "mind flayers")
    -Enemies in this game have looks that are repetitive, but one can be many times more powerful than the other. A zombie that you can kill in 1 hit in chapter 1 might just have a twin who could slice your HP into two in chapter 3.(This is most apparent in Nightmare)
    -Oblivion Mages and Abyss Knights in packs of more than 6 are not worth the effort of spending "reloads", especially at higher difficulty. You'll learn why after your first attempt at the Lord de Seis in Nightmare.
    -This game is purely Hack and Slash. A dream come true for one with that kind of particular taste.
    -The game actually has a good background story.
    -To enjoy this game, you must be addicted first. When that happens, it can become what BG2 is to most SPers. I should know.
    -People who love to roleplay in BG2 will not probably want this game, unless you like Arcade Games.
    -Multiplayer-wise, this game is best on LAN.
    -I like Tyrael's Wings.
    -With Expansion, every element in the game is enhanced - good ones or otherwise.

17. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Don't expect a roleplaying game, it's hack&slash all the way.

That said, the story is actually pretty good, and if you play it online with a couple of friends you will have a lot of fun.

18. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

A nice bonus is the movies, they simply rock in D2. That said, I wouldn't buy it just for the the 20 minutes of entertainment given from hours of repetetive clicking.....

19. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Heh you can buy a dvd for around 8 USD with all the movies and some "making the game" interviews, not that I could se why people want to, but you can.

20. Kobo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Despite it's no-brainer gameplay, I think it's fun if you play with your friends, but playing alone or with random jackasses on B.net gets old pretty quick.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.