1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Vote for "Baldur's Gate continuation"! *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Kovalis Darkfire, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I know this may sound a little silly. :) But I am encouraging people to vote for more Baldur's Gate at: http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/ . Who knows what afew hundred votes could do. The pole there reads as following:
    "With the closing of Black Isle Studios, which game series would you like to see another company buy the rights to and continue the storyline?"

The pole is located at the bottom right of the page...please, go vote Baldurs Gate for PC!

[ February 10, 2004, 21:38: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Can't we just let dead games die? Let them rest in peace and so such, and have original ideas appear?

3. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Why must it die?
    Nay, I say, BG is one of the most acclaimed saga in the whole of the Gaming World.

Any way, I would still want the Child of Bhaal saga to continue, like a side story?
    How about a part on the Harpers and The Shadow Thieves?

The Cowled Wizards and the Pirates of Brynnlaw?
    Or the battle between the Elves and the Drow?

In fact, there should be tales regarding the Hero's return home!

4. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

How much farther can it go? By the end of ToB the character is either a god or terribly overpowered. However I wouldn't mind another game with the freedom of BG2.

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Hell, by the end of SOA the character is hidiously overpowered.

I don't think that people should just slap the BG name onto their game to make it sell (like what Interplay is doing with DA). If they're going to make an entirely different game, then they can come up with their own name for it. Plus it would be more incentive for them not to simply make a BG clone.

BG has been desecrated enough already. Leave it alone.

6. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I say let it keep going. Just shift ahead in time or back in time or something. Maybe a different location.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    No one is going to continue the BG saga, that's a silly poll question. While making a game about playing a god in FR might sound like a good idea, it really isn't. You can't come up with a full game's worth of challenges for a god, nor would WoTC ever allow anything like it, as it would have too great an impact on their fantasy world.

Anyone who would buy the licence would start over again from scratch. You can count on that. BIS was working on Baldur's Gate 3 before they were closed down, and they started from scratch.

8. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Heh, this has been brought up so many times already... just make a search and you'll see.

In my opinion the best way to go is to create a new story with occasional connections to Bhaalspawn story (just to make you feel epical from ToB ;) ), but under the name of Baldur's Gate III.
    Hah, damn i'd like to see a game on a shelve titled "Baldur's Gate III" one day :(

9. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

If given the choice between a hideously overpowered BG3 with the main character smiting elder dragons and titans with a glance, or the likes of NWN 2 or TOEE 2, I'd go for BG3 without a doubt.

Not going to happen of course. Graphics are more important than storyline these days so BG3 isn't likely to happen. Or if it *did* happen it'd be in the kind of hideously bland setting of NWN and people would lose their faith in the series.

10. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] I think there is a chance that the game will be made. But unforatunately, if it is, it will likely be nothing more than a money grabber using the title: Baldurs Gate as easy advertising, especially to all the BG fans and rpg veterans in general. Tell me honestly, who wouldn't buy a game if it was called Baldur's Gate 3.

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I sure as hell wouldn't if it would spoil the experience of the old ones.

But I have heard that Interplay has regained the BG licence. However, seeing that they fired the BIS crew, they don't have anyone left to work on it.

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Maybe they'll put Reflexive on it, considering they did such a good job with Lionheart... NOT! :shake:

13. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

@ david w
    If I'm not mistaken SW:KotOR uses a very similar engine to NWN, but it is much more immersive in the graphics then NWN was and it has great storyline, so the added accent on better (probably 3D) graphics isn't necessarily a bad thing. The storyline of KotOR can match itself with that of BGII and since the graphics and gameplay immerse you better in the game I find it a much better game then BGII. So if BGIII would be anything like KotOR I'd say bring it on. It could be a really great adition to the sage.

The only thing I'd ask with it is that they don't try to make it open-source like with NWN cause although NWN is a nice program, it doesn't have the epic feel BGIII would need to fit in the BG saga. NWN is just a sort of developpers studio so that people can create, play and exchange adventures without need for the game industry to create these stories.

14. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I would love to see the Baldur’s Gate series back but they wont make any more games that have anything to do with the Bhaal spawn saga on the PC, of that I am certain.

Cross your fingers and hope they make something better then the BG series.

15. Meatdog Gems: 15/31

Off course they won't, since they have discovered the console market.

They already did, look at my post -> SW:KotOR. So I cross my fingers that they make something even better.

16. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I haven't played KOTOR myself but from what I've heard it's almost as buggy as TOEE. Is it really any good?

17. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I have actually found KOTOR to be quite enjoyable. I have had no problem with bugs, I gather that most of them were worked out before the PC version was put out. The only bug that I am aware of that is still in effect is that force regeneration is not working for the special lightsaber crystals.

18. Turambar Gems: 13/31

What I would really like to see made into a new BG game is Mellisans story.

You play as Mellisan starting at about the same time as you start in BG1 and go through the whole story from the other side. Just setting the scene for all the other Bhaal spawn to kill each other....

Or any other characther for that matter. Just the idea of starting all over again from a different place with a different story ahead of you in is worth desecrating BG.

19. Meatdog Gems: 15/31

Well, I finished KotOR and I only encountered a bug once, it was after a whole day of playing so it probably had nothing to do with KotOR itself but more with overstraining my computer.

@ Turambar
    The problem with a Melissan based game would be that you already know what will become of her (if you played ToB at least) so there is no point in directing her actions, since there can be no variation in ending. But I agree that they could make some game about another Child of Bhaal before he goes to Saradush, one that isn't really important in ToB. But what would be the point of that? No the best option would be an independant and original story, with the only link being that it is playing in the same region. I would even go so far as to let the game develop around the region of Baldur's Gate once again.

20. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] I want a BG3! A BG3 which world (and everything in it) would be based on the brilliance of BG1! I will defy the sad reality! Oh no, I cannot :(
    The only thing that comforts me that I can still play with BG1 again and again :cool:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.