1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

spending ca$h in chapter 2

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by jack-of-all-trades, Mar 23, 2001.

1. jack-of-all-trades Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

do u think it is a good idea to save ur money, or go strait for the good weapons?

2. jack-of-all-trades Gems: 11/31

o, and sorry if i am boring all of u with all of my really pathetic questions. I feel like i am so far behind concidering that all of u are talking about killing dragons and other rather large tasks that icould not even dream of yet.

3. Whoz-UR-Daddy Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Depends on what you expect out of chapter 2. For me chapter 2 & 3 were spent doing all the quests and getting all the experience I could. I believe in chapter 2 I went for the gold then the weapons. But chapter 3 I went for all the experience doing damn near every quest I could. I would say go for money first. If you play it right, you should be able to find most of your weapons and armor. If you do the quests, you get a lot of magical items.

*spoiler warning*

Also the shadow theives eventually lower the price to 15,000 if I remember correctly.

4. jack-of-all-trades Gems: 11/31

yea, i can see ur point, but i am really tempted to get some of the enchanted weapons from the adventure mart and bernard in the cc, but i am not sure if i will be able to get the cash in the end.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There is so much loot to be had that unless you try to buy everything from every store, you'll never run out of cash.

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited March 23, 2001).]

6. Igor Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Don't worry about that. I finished the game with 150k and nothin to spend it on

7. jack-of-all-trades Gems: 11/31

thanx, maybe that is one reason that i am not as strong as i could be.

8. toast Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Save it. Most good weapons you'll find and not buy. It mostly depends upon your class though. For monks there's a weapon that'll make him a better figher than he would be early in the game.
    If you get Viconia with her weak strength, you'll probably want to buy the mace that'll give her 18 strength.
    The game generally structures your opponents to match your own experience level, ie. you'll fight 2 stone golems at level 12, but at level 9 you'll get a couple of goblins or something.
    Depends upon your team make-up, but generally, wait to spend.

9. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

one thing i always buy is the hill giant str belt, even if i dont need it, i can still give it to minsc to do that extra 1-3 damage.
    or make korgon better or something, and if nothing else, jahiera or viconia can use it.

10. Cerryl Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

If you're really worried that you won't have enough cash for the thieves you should get enoough many and then pay Gaelen the cash. I know that this triggers the next chapter but there isn't any time limit for when you should go and talk to Aran or even for when after you've done Aran's quests.

11. Whoz-UR-Daddy Gems: 2/31

Good point. The no time limit helps. I don't have a lot of time to play, and have been playing since New Year's, (first time thru), so maybe I am not the best to answer the question. But I know that (without spoiling too much) in Chapter 4 you don't realy get the chance to buy/sell items, so it would be a good idea to do that before. Go for the quests, which will give you good items & experience. If not you may end up in over your head. Again I don't have the whole 'I've beat the game 12 times' experience that most people probably do, or it could just be the hack'n slash over intelligent fighting that I always end up in. Go for the XP.

12. Whoz-UR-Daddy Gems: 2/31

And listen to Blackthorne. In Chapter 5 I have over 100,000 gold with nothing interesting to buy. Gold comes really easy. A few good quests and you could have the money in no time.

13. toast Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

If you were to sell everything of value you find in chapters 1,2 and 3, you'd easily have over 300,00 gp. easily.

14. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Exact. Spend the money in the earlier chapters, beacause in the beginning of the game, you need good equipment to kill enemies and to get stronger, and with good equipment you can get quests that afford a lotta money. Later in the game, you've got plenty of money and then it's time to pay the 15000 to the thiefs.

15. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Wait, only some weapons are useful.

The most important thing is to buy GOOD SPELLS. That will really save your life.

16. Igor Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Yeah and when you go to the underdark make sure that you got lots of money coz there's some things you might wanna buy

17. I started a thread with the title "What to do with $40,000?" and had dozens of great suggestions on what to spend your money on in the first two chapters. Consult that thread for lots of good suggestions.
    http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001519.html

Let me offer that RolePlaying comes into the picture here.

There are some items that are a must-have: Robe of Ven. for mages
    Robe of the X archmagi
    Shield of balduran for fighter vs. a certain evil creature
    Helm of Balduran is in anyone's budget
    Plate of Balduran is darn good plate until you get the Hart +3
    Fortress Shield for getting that AC down for a single-wielder
    Belts for increasing strength of thin-armed mages
    As many big jugs of healing as you can find
    As many arrows +2 as you can find
    The things that a guy in the Bridge district forge for you

Other than that, buy stuff that fits the character--things that make them happy. Get your loveable druid a nice green ring of animial control. Get your Kensai the nicest Katana you can find--just because he wants one, darn it! Wear the damnable helm of infravision if your character thinks that red feather draws attention away from her bird-legs.

This is where power gaming and role playing kiss and be friends.

bgp

18. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31

I don't know what your class is, but I found out that when you're a fighter like me, you'll end up with Nalia's keep and that cost's a lot of money, more then you get from it, but it's just cool to have it. At one time, I remember that the uumm, I don't know how to say this, the walls along a river, broke and wiped out all farms. I had to pay 7000 gold to fix the thingy and 5000 to help building up the farms again. Ofcourse, I could refuse, but that would be rude. So I say, save a couple of coins, like 15000 and spend every penny that you have above it. You'll need good equipment to face Firkraag or Kangaxx etc. The Adventurer's mart is the best place to be, just as good as that is the copper coronet after you completed the quest of the inn. Adventurer's mart has very cool stuff like that girdle of hill giant strength, the fortress shield and the staff of ryne +4.
    The spell shop at Waukeens Promanade is the best place for spells.

Spent your money wisely though, not at things like a short sword +1 or +2, there are LOT'S of those items. Go for the best like +3 and +4. And good armor you will get as loot, there isn't real good armor to buy anywhere.

19. jack-of-all-trades Gems: 11/31

hey, da punisher, i am a fighter as well, so thanx for the info on the keep. That is the quest that i am working on now and i have just reached over 10,000 gold as of today. so i guess that the rose sword of somthing or other isn't a good idea right now huh? oh well, i'll get it l8er.

20. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31

Blade of the roses?
    That is not a real good sword, well it is but Daystar is better (read the spoiler below to find out where you can find it, it's real easy).
    BTW, you'll get a lot of money from Nalia if you finish her quest, so you can buy a couple of things.
    If you want a real good long sword read this spoiler:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >In the citygates, there's this inn. Go inside and have your thief look for traps. In the upper right corner of the room, there's a secret door. Rest well before you go in, because it's a real small room and the creature in it is very powerfull, but I defeated it the first time without any cassualties on lvl 10 or 11, so you can do it too. The sword is daystar, and I'm at chapter 7 right now, lvl 19 and I still use the freakin' sword!
    DAYSTAR RULES!!!! Jump on my sword while you can Evil, I won't be so gentle! ;)

[This message has been edited by Da Punisher (edited March 24, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.