1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best RPG-Game ever

Discussion in 'Playground' started by The 'good' guy, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

BTA, I still can't understand why you constantly avoid to say once and for all that the only RPG you've ever loved was Ultima 8. :p

I have two on the top:
    - Fallout2
    - Planescape:Torment

2. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Baldur's Gates (both 1&2 with expansions). Planescape: Torment could be the best, but I haven't yet finished it, so I can't decide.

One of my favourite CRPGs is Exile/Avernum-series. I liked the story, the world, character generation and building system and oldish game system overall. Good story and hack'n'slash dungeon-looting combine in those games.

3. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Considering I've not played many, my opinion really doesn't carry much experience with it, but I've really got to say BG2.

A little difficult when I first played it, but once I got the knack, I was hooked for good.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Tehehe Ex. You know how I loathe the 8th installment of the Ultima series... the Ultima 7's were the last of the Ultimas as far as I'm concerned :)

5. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Dungeon Master, for the Amiga. Good Stuff.

Seriously though it was a good game, I don't know if I could call it the best. That is a hard one and as such I'm leaving my judgement suspended. It's too easy to say how good those latest games were (and PS:T, BGI/II, and Morrowind are great games, don't get me wrong) but we forget the old games we played which we enjoyed back then as much as the new ones. For example, despite the technology, Daggerfall is arguably better than Morrowind. The Wizardry games and Might-and Magic series are also a favourite of mine.

You see, it's hard. but Dungeon Master stands amongst them.

Yea, I miss the Amiga. Dune II and The Settlers were never better on any other platform.

Edit: Anyone know how I can get a copy of that Quest for Glory series?

6. a soubriquet Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I think either Final Fantasy VIII is the best. I know many others don't agree with that, but I remember that game the most vividly and enjoyed playing that game the most. Next would probably be Baldur's Gate.

7. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

That is because FFVIII was one of the worst stories of the FF series. But I must admit that I found the GF system and limit breaks very well thought of but so were the other systems, so the only thing that was bad was the story. (and the graphics when you played the PC version, high resolution 3D characters on an ugly low resolution 2D background)
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a FF fan and I enjoyed FFVIII but it just doesn't have what it takes to get the award of best RPG ever.

:idea: Which makes me think that maybe this tread should be transformed in some kind of award nomination which could then be followed by a poll to vote for the award in a new tread. :idea:

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Baldur's Gate is the best I've played, far outstripping its sequel and IWD2.

9. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I don't know what I was thinking. If I had to choose one, and a modern one unaffected by nostalgia, then the choice is fairly simple.

PS:T get's my vote, deservedly placed on top.

10. InquisitorX Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

That's an Incredibly hard question! Either Uncharted Waters: New Horizons, Baldur's Gate 2, or Valkyrie Profile.

I also like Fallout 1 & 2, Torment, Shining Force 2, Final Fantasy 4 & 6, and the Stone Prophet (it was great when it came out :p ).

11. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Planescape! Planescape! Planescape!

12. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Second that, Goph! Second that! Second that! :D

13. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

And the winner is....Planescape: Torment.

14. Thais Paradox Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Truly.
    I'd have to place Planescape up there at the top also, followed closely by the BG series.
    In third place would come Deus Ex, because, though it isn't, srictly speaking, an RPG, it had enough RPG elements to make you feel you were participating, not playing, and to make you *care* about what happened next.

15. GI Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Baldur's Gate 2, good story, excellent gameplay.

16. Vengeance Incarnate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

1. The FF series (primarily FFVIII)
    2. Baldur's Gate 2
    3. Deus Ex

17. monkey Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

1. Baldur's Gate (with TOSC) - Durlag's Tower is still my favourite part of any game.
    2. Baldur's Gate 2 (without the silly black isle xp) - epic.
    3. Icewind Dale 2 - it had subraces (and no that isn't the only reason I like it).

I have a slightly irrational hatred of Planescape: Torment as it corrupted all my save games really close to the end - I've never been able to get back into it and I don't remember liking it that much when I was playing it.

I'm sure very few people would agree with me on IWD2 but I thought it was really good fun and was a fitting end to the Infinity engine games.

Other rpgs I've enjoyed:
    Morrowind (a bit boring after a while)
    NWN (rubbish single player until HotU)
    ToEE - this is a really weird one. I hated it at first. With the patch it became acceptable and now I'm entering the lower levels of the ToEE it's becoming rather addictive (I've avoided the henchman as from what I've heard they are the cause of many bugs).
    Ultima 7 - I played this on my cousins computer years ago but have never got round to playing it properly. I loved the attention to detail (being able to bake your own bread and stuff like that)

18. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

1. The FF serie (where FFVI is the best and FFVIII is the worst)
    2. Chrono trigger (would be #1 if FFVI hadn't beat it)
    3. the Baldurs gate serie

19. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

1. BG2
    2. BG
    3. NWN

20. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Best RPG ever. This is a very, very, hard question. It´s been changing back and fourth between BG1 and BG2 for a long time. I cant really decide between them. I like the story alot more in BG1 but all the extra items and classes makes the replay factor higher on BG2. Not that I dont play BG1 anymore, just started a new party the other day, just finishing up Durlags Tower and then I´m off to Sarevok... Ohh, sorry.

FF7 is also a great game, yet another I still play.
    I liked PST alot to, but the replayability was to low to rate high on my list. Only played it like three times or so.

The IWD games are great to, especially IWD1.

Although, my choice will have to be:
    Baldurs Gate 1, with Tutu installed. This way I get the greatest story, with BG2 classes. I highly recommend getting Tutu if you haven´t already. Not as easy to install compared to other mods, but well worth it!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.