1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Some Final Fantasy 7 help please

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Faragon, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I cheaped out the Emerald Weapon at a low level the first time through the game. Not too sure how low, but I battled him shortly after seeing that the weapon exists down there (so maybe 40ish???). So no underwater materia, no knights of the round, no final attack materia, no mime, no Luck Seven, etc... it was my first run through the game (albeit not the very first time I attempted to kill it), and I thought it was one of those challenges that is hard, but do-able at that stage of the game.

So to war I go. I remember clearly that Cloud was using Blade Beam because it was cool how it hits the center guy and splits up to hit the other four gems. Barret was using Satellite Beam because it was my best available limit break. Cait Sith was using slots. Needless to say I had no clue what I was up against, thinking that the Level 2 Blade Beam damage was useful against Emerald Weapon.

So we hit him and he hit us. We healed, got limit breaks and unleashed them. After about 10 minutes of dealing such minor damage, Cait Sith got another one of his slots limit breaks. I rolled a picture of a cat... hmmm never got that before... Game Over! Instant win against Emerald Weapon. So I saved because I beat the challenge.

So I told my friend about it next day and the conversation was like:

Him: You beat Emerald Weapon yet?
    Me: Yep
    Him: How'd you get the final attack materia so early? [He sorta knows my progress through the game]
    Me: What's that? I didn't get any final attack materia.
    Him: Then how'd you survive his instant death move?
    Me: What instant death move?
    Him: When the weapon just stomps and kills your whole party?
    Me: He never did that move.
    Him: Huh?? So how'd you kill him then?
    Me: I used lots of limit breaks.
    Him: But they are sooo weak. Which ones?
    Me: Blade beam was cool. And Cait Sith's limit break rules.
    Him: Blade beam is way too weak, and Cait Sith's limit break just plain sucks.
    Me: No, the slots gave me a Game Over and I won.
    Him: ...

:D Ahh, the sweet FF7 memories.

2. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

@ Blog

Well, he probably did his instant dead move, but in fact it isn't really an instant dead move, but a move that does damage based on the number of equipped materia. That's probably why you survived that early, I suppose you didn't have enough materia equipped to be killed by the move. That's one of the strategies that can be used against it, don't equip materia except the Underwater materia and then just use regular attacks and limit breaks.

3. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Actually he doesn't do the instadeath move every time. Besides, with a party of level 40, I can guess he wouldn't have too many hitpoints either. Even at higher levels you need one or two high-level HP+ materias in order to get high hitpoint values.

I've battled the Emerald weapon on numerous occasions without him ever using the that supermove. In fact, if I remember correct, the first time I ever saw that move was on my third time through, when I still had no idea of the existence of Final Attack. I had an episode then about how the whole battle was based on luck etc... :)

4. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Oh now that I didn't know. I had always thought the 'stages' of the weapon's attack was based on the amount of damage you deal to him. ie: when he's halfway dead, he'll start using it or something. Sorta like a contigency, BG2 style. I assumed that I barely scratched him, which is why he never reached that stage to use that move.

5. Darhken Rahl Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

ffvii is a great game, i always get stuck at that part no matter how many times i play..and ive beaten it 59 times..so ya I play it alot

6. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

It sure is a great game. To bad you have to go through Midgar every time. I dont know why, but I hate Midgar.

Emerald Weapon... In every fight I´ve had against him he´s used his "Big Thomp" (Aire something IIRC). I guess I´m one unlucky s.o.b :)
    Anyway, not even this big meanie can stop a Lucky Seven, a Master KoTR and 2 Mime´s :D

7. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Wha-? Someone *hates* Midgar? I love that place, it's the best part about the entire game, with loads of pre-scripted events, characters and nice musics. Best part about the second-best game in the world, that's a lot that.

8. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

Sure, the music rocks in that town and it´s nice and all. But what I like in FF7 is that you´re almost free to do anything... AFTER you exit Midgar that is. In Midgar there are only so much to do and you gotta do it in the same way every time. I start loving the game when you climb down that wire :)

I started a new game the other day, but when Jesse (IIRC) starts explaining about the railroad and your fake ID´s I had to quit. I just couldn´t stand the pain it caused me to have to listen to her again for the 500´d (or so) time :)

9. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Now I hate you all!

I'm gonna have to dig it all back out and play again. Oh well.

I only ever played it through twice and never killed off neither ruby nor emerald iirc.

Both times ended up around level 68 - 70 or so, so I've never had the pleasure of trying to beat Sephirot at level 98/99. Gather he gets quite tough. ;)

10. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

He doesn´t, atleast not in the PAL version.
    I´m Lv 99 with all my partymembers and he´s just the same as he was the first time I completed it (at Lv 40).
    Although, getting all characters to Lv 99 and mastering every materia available is still something that one have to do atleast once :)

11. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Do you honestly believe I'd call FF VII a good game if it had the cancer of autobalancing enemies as some other games do? I think not.

No, in this purest of JCRPG games, YOU have full control over the challenge. If you are of low level, then the enemies will be tougher than you, and if you are of a high level, they will be much weaker than you. I have a friend who went and played 200+ hours maxing out all characters and getting all master materias to each. Combining the extra materias with other nifty special effects amounting to such a power that any enemy that attacked any member of his party even once, would be destroyed by a horde of boosted Knights of Rounds in one single turn. Sephiroth could take no more damage than normally, and so he died the second he hit Vincent, every time.

And that's the way it should be, allowing the player to decide the challenge. That's the point in why I'm going through the game with a very low-level party this time. Challenge.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.