1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Compare - BG2 or NWN

Discussion in 'Playground' started by thom is my love, Oct 30, 2003.

1. thom is my love Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I just got NWN and i heard it was amazing.
    what does everyone think about it, 1 person player version compared to bg 1 or 2?

2. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

I have only ever played NWN, so my opinion can't really be objective. The Aurora engine and the play style of NWN are quick to learn and easy to master. The game is visually very appealing, especially on a fast PC with a good video card. That being said, the story, the characters, the objectives of the game can be painfully tedious much of the time. You only asked about single player, so that is what I will confine my answer to.
    Playability/visual/interface: :happy:
    Storyline/characters/fun: :aaa:

I'm sure that others will be along to say the same thing shortly. Don't feel discouraged, though...there is a new expansion coming in Nov. that just might satisfy, and the toolset and multi-player are great.

3. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I've yet to find an RPG that can beat BG2 overall.

Story: Planescape wins but the gameplay isn't as good as BG.

Graphics: NWN has much better graphics but the OC, though still decent, simply cannot compare to that of BG.

Gameplay: IWD2's interface was slightly better. Only slightly though. But the sheer variety of kits and weapons make BG2 the winner. TOEE has one of the best tactical combat systems I've ever seen but it simply lacks the 'epic' feel of BG.

Point: NWN is good. But not as good as BG2.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    NWN is: 'OK'

PS:T is a very polished and cerebrally challenging RPG, one of the best: Extremely good

BG2: The daddy

5. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

The only time that I'd ever play NWN over BG2, or play it at all for that matter, is online. It's has to have one of the better online fetures than any CRPG that I've heard of.

Take a look at the posts about A Land Far Away in the online games forum right down the bottom of the main BoM page.

6. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

I really hated NWN I played half way through chapter one, then i deleted it. the story sucks, the gameplay sucks, well the whole game sucks.

if you want to play some 3d Baldurs gadish game, you should get Morrowind, that game is one of the best rpg's ever.

7. Mithrandir Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] BG is way better then NWN, right boo? :lol:

8. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

*squeeeeeek* :D

9. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

NWN's great potential is in the toolset, and online with multiplayer.

However, for out right gameplay, BG2 all the way.

10. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

NWN stank. Let me count the ways:
    • Game world: it had some nice touches (I'm thinking of the spirit world and snow shaker world, in particular). Both BG2 and PT are done with more flair. BG1, IWD1, IWD2 are better too, IMO.
    • Story: horrible and shallow. I simply couldn't bring myself to care less. The worst of all Bioware / Black Isle games. Yes, even IWD1.
    • Visuals: not good at all. Interior scenes were OK, but repetitive. Outdoor scenes were beyond horrible. This comes down largely to a poor 3D engine which, despite its limitations, demands a ninja PC. Isometric view and gorgeous visuals of all IE games much better, IMO.
    • Sound: would have been good in NWN but let down by shocking voice acting. What happened to the people who played Minsc, Jan Jansen and Annah?
    • Single player: NWN is hopeless, enough said. Lacks challenge too. Has anybody bothered with the single player campaign more than once? All the IE games are highly satisfying single player experiences and BG2, in particular, has huge replay value.
    • Multi player: I have no experience. I did try some of the more highly regarded NWN modules and they were, without exception, terrible. Not Bioware's fault, I know, but something to bear in mind if you think that NWN will keep you endlessly entertained.
    I sold my copy of Neverwinter Nights months ago. I'm about to play Baldur's Gate 2 for the twelfth-or-so time. This should say something about their relative merits.

11. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I gotta agree about the replay value.
    I´ve finished NWN once and started a couple of new games, but every time I´ve gotten tired of it after I, at best, have collected one waterdavian (sp) creature.

BG1 - Played countless hours, even today many years after it came I still find it just as fun.
    BG2 - This I have played even more than BG1. Finished it over 50 times atleast, might be 100, I cant even try to remember.
    (Alittle off topic :) )
    IWD1 - Finished it about 10 times maybe, not as good as BG due to the halflame story, but a nice game anyway.
    IWD2 - IMO the worst game of these 4, not nearly as bad as NWN though, I´ve still finished it like 3 times or so.

And last but not least, Planescape - Torment.
    This is one really cool game. Better than the IWD series, and almost as good as BG1 not nearly as good as BG2 though. A must for all gamers. Can seem alittle tricky at first, but once you get a hang of things you´ll love it.

12. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I played BG1 and 2 so many times I can't count. I played IWD1 once. I played NWN for about an hour, then uninstalled it and returned it to the rental store and got something else. I'll admit it was amusing, but it really didn't engage like BG1 and 2. Even IWD1 I could play for awhile.

Of course, if you play NWN first, then you have the benefit of ignorance :D . So, going along with everyone else I've got to say that BG2 is leaps and bounds above NWN. I don't like the 3rd rules either, but that just me.

13. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I remember before NWN was out I was really looking forward to it, Christ what a disappointment it was. The Aurora engine sucks compared to the infinity and the game worlds are so repetitive, weather it looks nice or not it makes no difference if its game play sucks :)

Have you tried the online gaming of NWN ? It sucks so bad I cant believe people actually play it but that is probably because I compare it to Baldur’s Gate but if you think of it as a completely different game (which it is ) then I guess its not “so” bad but imo it still sucks :) and if you want to play online RPG then imo there are far better RPGs online :)

I guess for people who have never played any games in the BG series and played NWN only then NWN probably wouldn't seem so bad :) oh and Bioware wont be making any more games with the Infinity engine as they think people will look at it as “dated” :( but I read something about a new BG type game or even a BG 3 on the bio forums but I wasn't to sure about what they were saying but I hope its true :)

[ November 07, 2003, 23:58: Message edited by: Rillifane ]

14. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I imagine there are enough BG fans to make it worth their while to make another Infinity Engine game. I know I'd buy it.

15. Neriana Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

NWN's single player campaign is tedious and WAY too easy. It's basically a bunch of "find this item bring it back" sidequests in nearly identical dungeons. The developers put tons of time and effort into the engine and graphics at the expense of gameplay and story. The result is a well-polished bore.

The Baldur's Gate series, on the other hand, is wonderful. It's almost too good; no game can escape its shadow. I preferred the BG graphics too. More illustrative and colorful, with a lot more personality than NWN has provided so far.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.