1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Of all the games

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Dice, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I came to this site originally because I play NWN. I see that there are a lot of different games listed in the first 1/2 of the forums and I haven't really tried any of them except for NWN and the toolset for it. I'd like to know which game you like the best and why you prefer it to the others. I'm mainly interested in the roleplaying games but if there is something you'd like to add, feel free.

2. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

You HAVE to try Planescape: Torment. Beyond that I would say that the Baldur's gate series is pretty good especially the second one. On that point IWD is good too, just play them all except for the Pool of Radiance series.

3. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I agree with rastilin, allthough I've never played PoR, so I don't know anything about it.

So yeah, Planescape, then the Baldurs Gate series, in that order. Both are VERY good. If you have time play IWD as well, I've only played a bit of the first one but it seemed pretty good.

Planescape is incredibly deep in Role-Playing and storyline, Baldurs Gate (there are four games in the series, including both expansions) has a great depth of both, and also some very interesting side quests and combat. Both are very humourous and fun to play. There's just something about Planescape:Torment that is hard to explain: It's not your run of the mill fantasy and is so unique and brilliant that it really is worth a try, I don't want to ruin the game for you so play it and you'll know what we mean.

Have you thought of Temple of Elemental Evil? I bought this a while ago, but am waiting for the patch to really get stuck into it. Fantastic atmosphere and excellent tactical combat, should be pretty good, but I can't give you a very detailed idea because I just haven't played enough :)

There are forum posts here about all of these games, it might give you a good idea of what they are like, but might also contain some hefty spoilers due to the length of time these game have been out.

Edit: They're not covered here, and I'm not sure if you like games from the first-person perspective, but you should try the Might and Magic series, I think VI was the recent one, and then VII, VIII, and IX were quickly succesively released. All are very good and the first three also contain sci-fi elements. They are simple to play, but very enjoyable and with a lot of variety within the game, such as dark/light paths that REALLY affect your charcters- ever turned your mage into a lich? The storylines are interesting and each game of the four is different in pivotal ways to the others, making space for similarity and originality. For example, in some you make your whole parties and then progress depending on your choices, in others you choose NPC's, like dragons or vampires, or blacksmiths, or school teachers. The equipment you can get and the skills and spells you use are also impressive. The history is tied in with the heroes of might and magic series, a turn-based strategy game. I never played these but a lot of people really enjoyed them.

Also try Wizardry 8, and if you can deal with the graphics for a truly immersive, puzzling, detailed game, wizardry gold (which is wiz7 for the PC, released 8 years before wizardry 8)- the skills here are cool, thaumaturgy, kirijitsu, etc, and it has the best selection of original races and classes I've ever met (I would say wiz6 as well, but the graphics are really old and I'm not sure they would run on the new windows OS, or even if it is out on the IBM clone for that matter). The reason I say this is that the three games form one big storyline and your whole pary can be transferred from one to the next. They too have sci-fi elements, I don't want to ruin it so I can't say much more.

If you like wizardry 8, but not wizardry 7, for whatever reason, try Wizards and Warriors instead. It is a new game like wizardry 8, and it too has an old-school feel to it with graphics that are pretty good too. It was made by the lead developer from the wizardry series, and is pretty similar. Good humour, great skills, races, and classes, puzzles to solve, and that varience from the all-too similar fantasy world that is becoming the norm. Ever had a faerie ninja or an elephant-man monk? How about a valkyrie or bishop? I really would reccomend wizardry 7 and 8 at least though, because the storyline is so much more immersive.

Morrowind is also good, especially with the wealth of third party plugins- but it can become overwhelming and can get dry or repetitive, but for me there was so much lore and and history, and detailed areas that this never happened. I was addicted to this game for a while but never finished it. I want to play it again because it was so good, but there are so many plugins that are only half installed that it has become a nightmare to sort out. This is only single-player, like NWN, so you may find this to be best suited to your style of play. I never played NWN so again, I'm not sure.

You can probably pick up these games pretty cheap, so you really should give them a try. If you have allready played these, and it was only the Infinity-engine type games you meant, you'll understand my enthusiasm :)

[ October 20, 2003, 05:02: Message edited by: Manus ]

4. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Well, lets see my game shelf (i need a digital camera)

Best ones (GET them):
    Planescape: Torment
    Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn / Throne of Bhaal
    Morrowind (Tribunal+Bloodmoon) (The Expansions together add about 3 times the stuff NWN has, The game is HUGE!) (Min reqs: P4 1,5 Ghz or equilevant, 512 Ram, a GF4 or equilevant graphics card, 1,5G hd space... And you must patch it.)

The good ones:
    Baldur's Gate (and maybe expansion, i haven't got it)
    Fallout 2

The not-quite-good ones:
    Icewind Dale II (I think that IWD I fits in the same category)
    D2 (Diablo 2)
    NWN (Diablo 2 gone wrong)

The absolutely bad ones:
    PoR:RoMD Demo (I played it for 2 minutes, go read the forum)
    Dungeon Siege (Nothin' from Microsoft if it isn't forced)

And a few strategy games....

5. BossBandor Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

try out the new star wars rpg game! its simpler than baldur's gate, but has a so much better storyline than NWN, oh and expect a very good plot twist, similar to Empire

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Baldur's Gate is better than BG2, do not believe these infidels!

7. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] In response to above post: Play both! :D :D

8. stefan Banned

BG1 and BG2 are the best games ever. No game is even close to those.
    IWD1 and IWD2 is nice games also, not as much RPG, more adventure if you ask me, but still nice games.
    Torment... I really fell for it when I bought it, but it doesn´t has the "durability" that the BG series have. It´s a "one time game".
    Temple of Elemental Evil... Bought it 3 days ago. It has some new really nice ideas. Now aligntment actually matters, which is cool. Not to many nice items though and Lv 10 is max, the only to bad things about the game so far.
    NWN. Liked it the first time I played it with my dual-weilding Rouge... But second time it was boring.
    Morrowind. Nice graphics, really REALLY BIG. A whole lot of things to do and so on. Everything is great, except the fact that it is too big. It was really overwhelming in the beginning before you learned where towns and people where. Quests like "Kill the Egg-Poachers in the *blablamine*" makes you go nuts. Why? Because you can walk for 2 hours real time and then realize that the mine was north, not south of the river. So hey, another 3 hours of walking, unless you have a nice savegame =)
    So, if you´re a patient fella, buy it.

Dungeon Siege was mentioned. And the fact that it has "Microsoft" on the box makes people spit and curse. But I gotta say, they´ve really done it. Great graphics, big, lotsa equipment and so on. No RPG though, pure adventuring. You get quests, but there is only one way to go, which is the bad thing about it.

Diablo 2, great game, especially with the expansion.

Didn´t like PoR because of the turnbased battles, but now when I´ve played ToEE I might give it another shot.

Oh, almost forgot... If you haven´t already, DO buy Fallout 1, because it is just as good as F2. Maybe even better... No, not really, but close.

9. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I'd say the original Civilization bets both BG and BG2 :p

And Taza, that must be a very small or empty "game shelf" you have there.

10. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Well you can get both BG games and their expansions as well as Torment for $50 easy. You might even be able to squeeze IWD 1 & 2 in that price figure. It'll be the best fifty dollars you ever spent for RPG gaming (at least in terms of what you pay vs. what you get).

11. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Ok, now that you guys have convinced me to try Planescape Torment I can't find it anywhere!

12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Chances are that you'll only ever be able to buy it over the internet. I've never even seen a single copy of the game.

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Please stick to the topic.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.