1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Lionheart, after a long wait...

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Rotku, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

2. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

It looks a lot like Diablo II to me...

3. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I've finally gotten a hold of it. My opinion? It's good. Even very good. The character system is essentially the same as in Fallout, albeit modified for fantasy and realtime. Thus far, the story seems above average, although I haven't gotten all that far yet. Gameplaywise, I'm not sure how I like the real-time aspect. On the one hand, it speeds those annoying little battles up, and makes it feel more dynamic and immediate, on the other hand, it can also feel very rushed, and make larger battles into clickfests. I definitely would have liked the option to switch to a turn-based system, like in Arcanum, or at least pause and issue commands, ala BG. The graphics are, while not the greatest, still not bad. One aspect that I really enjoyed, was getting to hobnob with real historic characters, such as Shakespeare, Cortez, Machiavelli, and such. All in all, while it's not the absolute greatest RPG ever, (don't worry Fallout), it's still a very enjoyable game. Plus, the mongol goblins are cool. Goblins finally feel like real enemies, not just pests or comic relief. :)

4. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Bought it today. I want to read the manual completely first. But I'll speed read through it. I hope it works on my computer!
    by the way, if you buy it from "Best Buy" here in the states, you get a bonus cd with it!

5. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Skipped from Fallout 2 to this game and I must say that Black Isle has done another masterpiece (I don't even think they've made a bad game)

You great thrown into your role and then it's just exploring (I haven't come that far yet). The dialoges are very well written (what I expected) and the voice acting is superb! (The guy who did Sarevok is voice-overing the tribal spirit) The story is quite good so far but it's yet another "You're unique" game which I think I've had one too many of.

The only downside I can find is the Diablo 2 like combat style. It's just too fast. And the spell system just isn't my taste (mana based).

All in all, you should get this if you want a good RPG, just to kill time or for whatever reason you buy games.

6. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Elios, what's on the bonus CD?

7. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31

I played the demo and it was great! Its a wonderful mix of a little Arcanum, Baldurs Gate, and Diablo II! I agree with you about the goblins Kam, they seem somehow more real. Oh and the story, somewhat suprisingly, was actually pretty good as far as demo's go...not sure about the actual game though. Hope to get it real soon!{Mr. Darkfire excitedly hastens off to 'Best Buy' to purchase a copy of the newly released Lionheart}

8. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Just bought it today!
    Too bad I'll only be able to start playing in two days time...

9. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] I'm installing it right now :grin: :grin:

Will post more once i play it a bit.

10. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I have it! it's good, but beware if you want another BG2 or Fallout 2!

I've played it for 12 hours here my opinion:
    BTW this ¨review¨ is out of the box with no patch ( I don't think a patch is out yet anyway)

+Davinci, Cortes and Sheakspear! the setting is great!

+The quest are many and original (most of the quest anyway Fedex quest won't quit so fast :p )

+Voice Actor realy good, The Beast Spirit's voice is Sarevok's one! :D

+You realy feel persecuted if your anything than a pureblood

+Background realy well done

+SPECIAL system work very well

-STEEP requirement: Recomended 1 ghz?! WTF?! look at the sreenshot look like a 2000-2001 game to me. BTW Morrowind has similar spec... :confused:

+-The resolution locked at 800 by 600 grr...

-The sprite are well ugly most of the time and the animation are simple

+-Does I have mentioned the steep requirement?

-Battle too fast and too hard and they are clicking festival

-The ally are USELESS, So far one of the ally simply didn't move or anything They are even Dumber than NWN ( freaky no? :mommy: )

+-MANA system

But that is a good game anyway enjoy Nueva Barcelona Scion of Lionheart

spoiler ahead

We must slay La bestia my squire!

Woo-hoo I just love madman

11. Gothmog

My twenty pounds of opinion based on short 6 hours of playing.

- Nice classles system. Skills and perks define character abilities in combat. Very non-limitating... finaly i can be a mix of barbarian and a druid. :)

-Combat is way too fast and becouse of lack of pause-key clickfest as Dungeon Master said before. The consequence is near useless ranged combat. At most you can get in one shot before the monster closes on you. And one shot does not justify spending skill points on it.

-Lots of perks dependant on you're race,...

uhm... I'll post more when i get to it.

12. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

One of these day, i will get so irritate by rushed products, i can swallow a cow alive.

Clearly Lionheart falls under the ever growing category of "release now, patch later". Press ESC and what do you have? Under the Configuration screen, what do you have? Nothing. i really wonder if Lionheart went through extensive and serious product testing. There are tons of problems one can easily idetify if they actually do play the game themselves.

My first disappointment is this is yet another non archer friendly game. Before i can fire a shot, enemies already surrounded me. Of course i have companion(s) but like IE games, enemies will stay at the first target they engage. So my meat shield companion(s) isn't doing anything much helping to block melee attacks. The only playable character in this game is fighter/paladin/barbarian type - huge melee support by some magic.

The other thing i cannot stand is the 'tab' function. Everytime i load the game, i have to re-tab so that the game shows enemies hp. Why only tab? Why can the game saves sneak, follow, search, target and other setting but cannot remember tab?

Gamespot.com gives this game a 6.5 out of 10. i agree with it wholeheartedly.

13. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Well, when I first downloaded the demo, I expected to find A LOT of improvements in the party management (more like BG style -I always found the way Fallout handled that aspect annoying). Nope: no improvement. It's basically the same system. :(

Second, like above stated; the battles were too fast paced. Guess what my first PC was? ;) Archer-mage. :shake: Speaking of a bad choise.

Three: 17" TFT and 800x600 isn't really a good combination...

14. trillex Gems: 13/31

After getting constantly killed by undead and goblins, I grew tired of this. I really hope they make a patch for some HUGE improvements. I'm talking combatwise, archer stuff and make the magic more useful. But when you look away from the combat, you'll see that the story line is quite good.

15. Rogue Rasta Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

It's not too bad, but not worth the 50 bucks I paid for it. At times it feels as though it was 'slapped' together...just plain rushed. My advice to anyone else planning on picking this up is; wait for the price to drop, or check the bargain bins. It should be there, right next to Deer Hunter and PoR. I have a feeling a few people out there will return this game.

I played the demo and read a handful of reviews, so I knew going in that a melee based character is the way to go. Is it even possible to cast a spell or use a bow? It almost seems impossible to do so. I'm playing a fighter/thief type character and have had a lot of success. I'm well into the game and believe it or not I've only died once.

I agree with all of the negatives posted here, so I'll just name a few that haven't been mentioned.

I really don't like how the inventory works. You should be able to move items around in your inventory. Categorize them so to speak, but on the same screen. I like to keep my inventory neat and orderly. I understand you can switch between armor and weapons, but I'd like to see everything on the same screen. You can't sell multiple items at once. I know you sell stacked items at the same time, but can you sell a short sword and long sword at the same time? If you can I missed something.

The dialogue window is very strange too. Switching back and forth between combat feedback and dialogue just plain sucks. I want to see all the feedback in one window.

The music and sound are a bit off. Maybe a patch will fix that. The character animations are extremely awkward too.

The interface is decent, but it's way to big. It takes up quite a bit of space. Well at least you can hide it.

I do like the story and the voice acting is really good. The backgrounds are detailed, beautiful if I may say so. Character development is no doubt the best aspect of this game. That alone has held my interest.

Not sure if I'll play through this again. I'd like to play a spell caster, but that just may not be possible. Maybe a patch will fix a few things. We'll see...

16. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Is Black Isle going to re-step the steps of 3DO?

17. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

One thing I didn't like was the inability to choose weapon and armour combos ala NWN.

Actually, what happened to Dual-Weilding?

I for one thought the combat magics were very useful and efficient.

Then again I only got the demo yet. Is it any different in the full game?

18. Gothmog

Yeah, options are truly amazingly extensive! lol the only thing you can adjust is brightness :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I find it a bit too easy too.
    The camera movements are too slow. Either i play with camera centered on char or i have to use my left hand solely for camera movements. Mousing to the edge of the screen is way too slow.
    Also there are not enough quick-keys. Only 7 of them. And i'm supposed to store all my spells on it as well as my bow and other weapons :( And i cannot put both my shield and sword on the same key :eek: :mad: Just one

There are no marks on the map. Every time you try to find you justhave to remember the right house.

A good thing is that there are quite some little quests for fun. Loading times are quite fast too. Levels are gained a bit too fast imo. I'm playing for like 10 hours and i'm level 8 :cool:

19. The Wise One Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I have only played the demo, and IMO, unlike the ads said, I still find the story of BG2 and other RPGs better. Also the inventory system is not very good, and battles are way too fast. Also in the demo, you get a War Hammer doing 2-12 damage plus poison, and infinite arrows and bolts. Cheap, huh? The graphics are good, although I haven't tried to change the resolution. I also don't like the mana system. Mana is more useful in console games when you only have 5 buttons or so to press. Scrolling is smooth, but very, very slow. You also gain levels/skill points too fast, and I could raise dead enemies when I was level 3 or 4. I haven't bought the full version yet, but I would give the demo about a 6 or a 7 (out of 10), for the extreme 'munchkin'-ness.

20. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    It's realy rare these day but Lionheart don't need the CD to play! Even Diablo needed the CD...

ADVISE for new player: Feralkin, Strengh, Two Handed melee, Lock pick, strengh, Heavy hander, strengh, find/remove trap and most important strengh.

:p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.