1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Games that made you sad

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Jesper898, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    The ending of TOB. You have developed this character through BG, SOA, and TOB. It's like watching him leave home. And I always get a tear in the eye when Minsc's epilogue plays.

Other than that, probably PS:T. It was so sad, but also quite uplifting. I'm a sucker for a good story.

2. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The end of Gabriel Knight 3...the hero, Gabriel, acts like a selfish cad and, sure enough, the girl leaves him - just as he makes up his mind to do right by her.

Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone?

3. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Yeah, IWD in the Severed Hand. I guess I'm not the only one who felt moved by it. That's pretty much the only one, but all good games bring a touch of melancholy when you finish them, like good books.

4. Sirus Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Dammit, can't you give a spoiler warning before you spoil the ending of Torment?

[After a game's been out for 5 years you can hardly expect people to post spoiler warnings. Where've you been all this time?] -Tal

[ July 04, 2004, 23:58: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

5. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Yeah, Planescape: Torment is sad too. After I finished it I sat there for 5 minutes, just staring at the screen, feeling sad :wail:

6. Cryohydropyro Gems: 2/31

Betrayal at Krondor tops my list. Suikoden come second and FFVII comes third.

I really hated it that the ending of FFVII didn't reveal what exactly happened. It just showed Red XIII overlooking the cliff and viewing Mako City.

Suikoden broke my heart. If you didn't collect all the *stars*, you'll get a very sad ending.

Betrayal at Krondor literally shattered my hopes when I saw that Gorath had to sacrifice himself to stop the powers of the ancient Glamredhels/Moredhels to escape.

7. Sirus Gems: 2/31

I was right in the middle of the game when I read that. Kinda sucks.

[ July 05, 2004, 20:49: Message edited by: Sirus ]

8. Jhonka

Jhonka This is the face of Justice Veteran

While I haven't played many RPGs, which are definitely the most emotionally charged genre, I still have a great moment :p .
    SPOILERS AHEAD (WarCraft 3: TFT)

The final cinematic in WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne, with Arthas slogging his way up to the Frozen Throne... the voices of those he's betrayed and murdered ringing loudly through his head... Then, as he stands in front of the Throne, you hear the Lich King's voice commanding Arthas to "Return the blade" and "Complete the circle" (or something like that).
    When I saw Arthas thrust his sword so violently into the Throne, shattering it, I was stunned. What?! Did he destroy it?! Then, Arthas picks the Lich King's helm off the ground... and places it on his head.
    "Now, we are one!"

END SPOILERS. That ending filled me first with sadness, then hope, then blind, burning, rage. I've always loved Blizzard's storylines and how they move them along in cinematics as well is during the campaign missions. This was predominant in WC3 with the advent of in-game quasi-cinematic cutscenes, but the style of story progression started in StarCraft (or perhaps even as early as WC2 or 1)

9. Emmanuel Julius Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I haven't really played all that many computer games but definitely for me there is sadness in the Baldur's Gate series (especially the ending of BG and TOB)

NWN was also kinda sad (or disappointing maybe) cause i guess it didn't have the glorious ending that I so wanted.....

10. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    "Is this going to be scary? Because I warn you, I'm easily startled and WILL scream like a baby."

IIRC, there was a song in one of the King's Quests, that made me feel kinda sad.

11. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I thought that the way that Cait Sith sacrificed himself in that ever reducing temple was quite sad.

Final Fantasy 8 was really gut wretching when Rinoa is like stolen and you have to rescue her indeed. Sad moments!

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Parts of BG2, parts of IWD1 - particularly the elf Kaylessa.

Empire Earth, when Manfred von Richthoffen got shot down.

Pool of Radiance when I realised I could have got ten beers for the price.

13. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I paid 800 kr (133$) to have it shipped from the U.S, the day it was released, thinking it would be the next Baldur's Gate.

Worst decision of my life :wail:

(At least I don't have to worry about that game anymore. I gave it to my cousin. Muahahahaha!)

14. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Descent to Undermountain...

It is such a piece of **** that not even Tal found worthy to mention it in the games section.

So high expectations... so lowly results.

The WORST game EVER.

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That's because it was made prior to Baldur's Gate, and our coverage starts with BG1.

16. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

The Fortress of Regrets in Torment - very moving.

17. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The game that makes me the most sad is Fallout 3. The whole thing is a tragedy.

18. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

This made me sad for 3 years!!! :

When I was younger, me and all my friends used to play Fallout 2 alot, and I loved it.

One day, I decided to move the game files from one directory to another, but I accidentaly deleted them instead. Because I was young and not too advanced in computerstuff, I didnt know I could enter the CD with explorer and reinstall the game, I just though that if I couldnt press the "install" button on the thingy that comes up after you insert the cd, I could never install the game again.

This made me realy sad, untill 3 years later when I dusted of the CD and decided to make one final attempt to install the game, and this time, my comp-skills were better and I installed the game and began playing it again.

19. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

***SPOILER ALERT***

I thought so too - as he slowly ascends, and all his victims' voices echo in his head. All I could think of was how much Arthas had wanted nothing more than to save his people... and how he had become both the leader of his master's legions of the dead and still he was no more than a pawn in the Lich King's plan to escape the Frozen Throne, a slave to death and decay. He's been weakened by the Lich King as the game goes on, forcing him to return to Northrend and save his master or simply fade to nothing. The voice commands him to "Return the blade... release me! Release me from this prison!" and he can do nothing but obey. After he puts the helmet on, the mountain of ice around him crumbles, the camera pulling back leaving him sitting atop a throne of ice, surrounded by arctic wastes and gently churning sea as operatic music hums softly in the background. Arthas has not only lost his kingdom, his honour, his family and his soul, he has lost his very existence - all that is left is his shell, inhabited by Ner'Zhul and powerful beyond belief. I wasn't blubbering, but it was sad and beautiful at the same time.

The Mannoroth-Grom and "Death Of Hellscream" cutscenes in WarCraft III were pretty moving, I thought, especially where Mannoroth is taunting Grom after corrupting him and later, after whipping Thrall without taking a scratch. Grom knows all that he has become is because of Mannoroth, and that the only chance he has to save himself and his entire race is to use that rage and power, possibly losing himself to the darkness yet again. He glares up, his eyes flare, and he screams as he charges and buries his axe in the demon's gut, buckling his weapon and shield before being destroyed as Mannoroth explodes and living just long enough to say his last words to Thrall. It fitted the whole story perfectly.

20. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I never played any sad games. But then again, I have always owned Nintendo systems. Everything's funny there! Closest would be BG2+ToB, the music makes it a little sad I believe. But I never cried during games, unless of happiness, or irony...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.