1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Games that made you sad

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Jesper898, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Did any game ever make you sad? (everything from feeling a little bit sad to crying like a baby is accepted ;) )

I actually got tears in my eyes the first time I watched Final Fantasy 10's ending.

Damn I hope I'm not the only one :p

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    IWD1 Severed Hand parts.

Aerie romance in BG2 wold make me sad, were it not so candyish and you know what.

My recent underachievement in Warcraft II makes me really sad too.

3. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Viconia's epilogue. If I could, I would change it. It is really sad.

Also, I agree on the Severed Hand.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The Baldur's Gate games are rather emotionally charged, though more towards anger and hatred than sadness.
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I found the ending very sad, as I had played the game for so long to get to that final point, to finally defeat my nemesis, and when I had done it there was nothing left...
    POR2: For its sheer patheticness and the fact that I spent money on it.

5. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

FFX ending...no jesper ur not alone
    FFVII the end of disk one. I still cant believe they made aeris die... :( :( :(

6. Frog Gems: 12/31

Veteran

Aeris death wasn't that sad. I mean Sephiroth slowly desended from the ceiling only to impale Aeris while she was in prayer - Hilarious.

7. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Aeris dying was probably more traumatic for the Japanese than the Americans. I don't try to justify it; I just call it like I see it.

Other than that, the IwD1 Severed Hand/Nym thing bent me the most. I wouldn't really say "sad", as much as "take Nym out, no matter the cost". I don't get mad; I pull all my people back, and nuke the entire site from orbit.

Twice. Nuke it twice. And sew salt into the ground.

8. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Planescape Torment was sad in places, I thought, I think the ending was a bit sad as well. The severed hand in IWD1 was as well, BG1 as well, if you really get into the RP role.

Another game I played (I can't remember the name, fallen darkness, or something like that.) You played the main character you could name yourself and change the appearence, though you had to be male, and you had a girlfriend called Ciara, at one point you are trying to escape a place and you end up on the roof, the guards come and try to take you away, sort goes like:

Ciara: NO! Leave us alone!
    (you are pushed around and the guards start taking you away.)
    Ciara: No, you can't just leave me here!
    (Guard turns round and pushes her off the roof)

It sounds stupid but in the game, the atmosphere, the story up to that point, the music and seeing her fall with a splat... well... okay, maybe not quite splat...

9. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Dorn's Deep and The Severed Hand in IwD l made me really sad. :wail:

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Deionarra's fate in Planescape: Torment really made me sad, especially when you got to the Fortress of Regrets and met her there. Tragic.

11. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

When i finished Planescape Torment for the 3rd time, having done all the characters sub-quests and due to prior knowledge (having completed the game before) I didn't let annah die once, actually throwing the Nameless one (who I was playing as a mage = low HP) at whatever was attacking her, true i'm immortal but it's still gotta hurt. I did the final ending with all the different ways, and the one that made me the saddest was - ressurect one companion, for the fight (rather than all of them) and i ressurected annah and her words 'I'll stand by ye'.

But the atmosphere of the whole game was just amazing, i played it almost constantly for about 3 days this time and when i finished it (at about 1 in the morning) I was just sitting there feeling almost empty inside *sniff*. Alas we will not see it's like again.

12. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The ending of planescape defnitley, I mean, you fight so hard and what do you get in return, you burn in hells for all eternity.

13. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31

Aeris's death wasn't funny. She was one of my favorite charachters.

14. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Yep, Torment was by far the best I've seen for pulling the emotional strings (lots of *** SPOILERS *** ahead). It also managed to avoid being black and white in emotional terms. For example the ending while sad and tragic also had something of hope and redemption in it (for me anyway).

Another good example was the philosophy behind the philosophy of Dak'kon teachings. Realising that his whole life had been a con by the Nameless one but then thinking about whether that really mattered... Even Ignus' story managed to pull the emotional strings. Annah's development and gradual opening up was also a delight. The only one that didn't really work for me was the walking suit of armour. Saying that though I didn't have him in the party for long enough really.

The biggest tear jerker for me though was my dear old avatar Morte. After the pillar of skulls when you realise just how long he has been around to help look after you, the dedication, the abuse he has suffered, the tradgey of his existance, etc and all because he hasn't really got anywhere else to go. When you put that in the context of how you've felt about him prior to that and his happy go lucky nature... well it just works for me.

There have been lots of other instances in games especially role playing ones or where characters have been killed off but nothing really comes close to the mighty PsT.

15. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The saddest moment in a game I've ever played is in Bard's Tale 3. The basic plot of BT3 is that the god of evil, Tarjan, has escaped from his imprisonment.

You, as the heroes from the previous two games, are sent by the Old Man of Skara Brae to try and get the various deities of the old pantheon together. Unfortunately, you're always a step or two late. The god was killed one on one by Tarjan, or he's turned traitor.

The most tragic moment in BT3 comes when you're sent to find Alliria, a goddess of love and beauty whom I saw as combining aspects of both Aphrodite and Galadriel. The Old Man also provides this warning: "Beware, for she had a very jealous consort, and he will protect her as best he can."

In a tavern in Lucencia, her home dimension, you listen to a bard sing the story of Cyanis and Alliria. Cyanis used to be a warrior-prince, soldier of fortune and all that. He is of course smitten by Alliria. Initially, she's not warm to him because of his violent ways. Cyanis eventually changes himself, he settles down to become a peaceful man and an artist, because he finds that he truly does love Alliria. She's as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside.

The Bard's poem concludes with:
    "So he made for her the Rainbow Rose, like Alliria's beauty, a blossom unsurpassed"

By the time the party locates Cyanis, he's a mess. He's sobbing uncontrollably underneath a painting he had made of Alliria. I have to heal him, after which he breaks this news to me:

"Alliria was murdered many moons ago by something far more powerful than anything she has ever fought. Tarjan tortured her before she died, and I was forced to watch this happen. Her screams drove me insane, for I could'nt do anything to save her." He has one request for the party: "All I ask is that you find this being and kill him for what he has done." Before he turns away, he lets a tear fall from his eye. Undoubtedly, he wants to cry some more. But he realizes that he must move on, and live in the present.

That I can quote word for word even though I played the game as a teenager tells you what kind of an effect that moment had on me.

16. Greystar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I agree with Tal about the Deionarra part, its quite sad.

And in BG1, when your foster father got killed is sad too, especially when you learnt how much he cares about you... :cry:

17. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

LOL! Splat? Someone fell 10 floors to the hard pavement, and you say... "splat?" :shake:
    ---
    Final Fantasy 3: Several places made me feel a bit or more sad, plus the ending -it came way too soon :(
    ---
    Final Fantasy 7: Aeris' death, albeit done stupidly. I simply cannot accept that Sephirot just "jumps" in, kills her, and then jumps out. :mad:
    ---
    Chrono Trigger: Several points, but the best I remember is the place where you get the time machine.

"I have just one request: please shut down this robot..." :sosad: Probably the saddest scene I have seen.
    ---
    Thief II: the second last scene, where Gareths ally, the dryad (or whatever she is), dies. Revealing something...

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield.
    And those to whom it is a weapon."

---
    Tales of Phantasia: the prison in the beginning. I won't spoil it here...

[ July 18, 2003, 13:19: Message edited by: Virne ]

18. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Final Fantasy 3, the death of General Leo. Something just stabs you inside when the incarnation of dignity and honor is killed by merciless traitor.

19. AlexGK Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Chrono Trigger has indeed very strong and emotional rich plot, alone some of the sound themes make me sad.The best game in that matter I've seen....

20. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Chrono Trigger: Many scenes that made you feel some sort of loss or empathy for other characters losing something.

Final Fantasy VII: Probably the most emotional moment was, as for so many others, the death of Aerith. I played the game a half a dozen times again just so I could prevent her death or revive her. Yet I never could. In the end I found out from the net that it was indeed possible. I still keep wondering though what the heck her ghost is doing in the church when you go there in disc 2-3. Probably just a bug, yes, but still...

Aerie's music in BG2, combined with the story of the romance was for me very emotional. Too bad it got so full of syrup.

Also, the end of Tashia romance made me sad in a way. Not for long but it's still something to remember since it's the first mod I've played with such a strong emotional charge. Seeing both the god and mortal end of the story, I could easily compare the situation there with how I view life in general. I would have a good point to this as well but since I'm not about to spoil the ending, I'll just leave it at that.

Many games at least used to make me sad though. I have a very strong ability to use the so-called "suspension of disbelief", which means I can experience games and movies as well as they were another life entirely, instead of being just products to earn money. This ability has lessened since my teenage years, but it is still there.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.