1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Recommend me a good old game.

Discussion in 'Playground' started by trillex, May 30, 2003.

1. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Having completed everything I got more than twice I thought that there's tons of games that I haven't tried yet. So.. recommend a old game for me!

By "old" I mean 1997-2001. Mostly because my puny puter wont run all those fancy new games that everybody is talking about. I wont listen everygame that I've tried but I know at least some of you will say: Thief and Deus Ex. And yes, they're in my collection too and has been completed.

What I'm looking for ís a game with a good storyline and a good gameplay (graphic aren't that important) and it would be best if it run in Win9x or 2k. Got payment for a couple of days ago so I can afford at least one or two games.. but keep them coming :)

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Try Battlezone, Caesar III, or Half-Life. Might & Magic VII is rather entertaining too, as well as MDK 1 & 2.

3. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

All the Half Life games, Diablo 2, Warcraft 1 & 2, and Starcraft.

4. ToTaL Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Since i saw Warcraft 1 on the list...

Master Of Orion II, Final Fantasy VII or VIII (some say that story is better in VII, some say in VIII :confused: ), Terra Nova Strike Force Centauri, Alpha Centauri or Civilization 3, Total Annihilation (try first, see if you like it), did you miss Planescape Torment? Fallout serial? Heroes of Might & Magic series (beside allready mentioned Might and Magic VII, you can also try VIIIth part but under no circumstances dont buy IXth part!!!)

5. Jschild Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Fallout Series and System Shock 2 and Jedi Knight

6. trillex Gems: 13/31

I've never liked the Might and Magic series or Final Fantasy (haven't dared trying it.. it sounds confusing with all those sequels).

But I've played the rest. But keep 'em coming :)

7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nox and Ultima Underworld 1 & 2 are awesome games, require very little from a PC, and can probably all be acquired for under $10 total. I'm sure you could probably find them free online, if you look hard enough.

8. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Diablo or darkstone, they should be in the bargain bin by now. Pretty good games for just a little money.

9. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

No sequel of Final Fantasy has to do something with another ( except X and X-2 ). I would at least try them, they are really great games :)

10. Nocturnal Nomad Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Adventures like The Longest Journey or Gabriel Knight 3. There aren't too many adventures out there but most of them are pretty good. Nice atmosphere, good storyline. But they can get frustrating. Adventures aren't for everyone.

11. Ameorn Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Broken Sword 1&2, Majesty, Planescape: Torment.
    Can't think of any other that haven't already been mentioned ;)

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Might and Magic VI might be older than 1997 a little, I don't know this, but it's the best part of the series. MM7 is also worth playing, but MM8 sucks blatantly. MM9 is something you should rather borrow from a friend - no way you would like to replay it, but it's not bad enough not to play it when you have virtually nothing else to play.

13. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31

This doesn't meet your requirements, but I just picked up Shogun: Total War and its really good and totally addictive. I ended up playing until 5 in the morning. Otherwise-find a System Shock 2 if you can, a lot of fun and genuinely scary.

14. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Try Silver, it's a fantastic Rpg !

15. Hassassin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

Albion, Arcanum, Call to Power I-II, Warhammer - Shadow of the Horned Rat, Warhammer - the Dark Omen, Warhammer 40.000 - the Rites of War, The Chaos Gate, Mechcommander, Steel Panthers I-II, etc. etc. ...
    I know you problem - I am quite frequenlty on the way, so I am using a notebook - it is a currently a bit 'out of date' :D

16. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Two words:
    Full Throttle

17. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

there's colonization for windows, a good ol' civ kinda game :) though you shouldn't pay a fortune as it looks more like civ 1 than civ2

18. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Fallout1 is a good one. Thief2 has good gameplay. Panzer General 2 is a good strategy game. Jagged Alliance 2 is good for gameplay, and Command and Conquer: Renegade has overall theme and gameplay quality.

19. trillex Gems: 13/31

The first civilazation was the best one. I remember playing it on my good ol' amiga and blah blah blah and it was cool.

Anyway, I've tried most of the games but thanks for the tips. I guess I'm off to my local game dealer and see if he got some of the games on the discount shelf.

20. outputrotation Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

X-Com and Dungeon Keeper should run on your 'puter w/ out any problem at all. They are probably like $5 in your store's bargain bin too.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.