1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What was your first computer RPG?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Late-Night Thinker, May 28, 2003.

1. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Akalabeth through to Ultima 8, then i discovered BG2, BG1, IWD2 and NWN..... I love this world....

2. Slackertoast Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well, lets see...Memories go back and I find that the first RPG/D&D style game on computer I played was Dungeons of Magdar on cassette on my Commodore 64. That and maybe the awesome Bards Tale series' shortly thereafter. Of course this is if you don't include the AD&D game on Intellivision. Oh crap now you know I'm a bit old. Oh well.Once a gamer always a gamer!

3. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games. Good 'ld game from 1995 that combines strategy with RPG. Modern times where you hires mercenaries and kills your enemies in new and bloody ways. Godda play it. :)

4. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

My first game would have to probably be Kings Quest 2. I never could (and still can't for that matter) finish this game, it's so hard.

5. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] It was Kings Quest 1&2 on the amiga.

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Baldur's Gate, its only now that my computer can't run that game that I turn to the older stuff. Right now I'm looking for the Gold Box Pool of Radiance game, though I might decide to grab Menzoberranzan or Eye of the Beholder instead if I don't find it soon.

7. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

It was BG1 along with TotSC. I loved and still love this game. :D

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Around 1988 I got to play my first PC-RPG. It was very much like Might & Magig. Sorry, can't remember its name, but you started on a dock, near a shop in a desert looking mountains. Oh, and there was a *bridge*, and troll (Bert ;) )who would join to your group if you found his club. I never figured out what the plot was...

9. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

BG1 with sword coast expansion! For less than £20! Never read any reviews just liked the idea of a game that would last 'More than 80 hours' lol.

10. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I think Bard's Tale on my Apple ][e was the first real CRPG I ever played. I have an Atari 2600 before that but I can't really say any of it's games were real CRPGs.

11. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] For me it was Secret of the Silver Blades on a 486DX machine.

It was the first computer game I ever played on my own computer.

To this day, I'm amazed my girlfriend decided to become my wife after she saw the way I was hooked in.

12. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Like Voltric my first CRPG was Tales of the Unknown Volume 1 - The Bard's Tale, but I had the PC version.

13. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This would go back about 20 years. It was either Zork or something like it, and was entirely text-based. Probably more of an adventure game than an RPG, but it was fun as hell - required a lot of imagation to visualize what was going on (much like reading a book). It was on the word processor that a secretary used at work, so we used to stay after hours just to play this game.
    The first "real" RPG was from the Might & Magic series (II, I believe) on a Sega Genesis in 1990. Lots of fun, but I got to a point where I just couldn't figure out what to do next, so I gave up (there were no such things as walkthroughs back then, at least not that I knew of). Kind of got soured on RPG's for awhile after that.

14. Alaeila Harktree Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

My dad introduced me to a lot of CRPG's when I was really little (like 4) and I remember a lot of them...Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds (I could never figure out how to play those, I always got lost) and Bard's Tale were a few. But my first and my favorite was Dungeon Hack...it was on my dad's Tandy, which he still has hooked up to his new computer. I still play it every once in a while, just to amuse myself, while I've got the really old game playing and Icewind Dale II playing right next to it...

15. Demogorog Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

My first was Darkstone, a lovley game. Then it was Diablo II and after that BALDUR'S GATE 2!

16. Register Gems: 29/31

My first CRPG was Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games. It is really cool, still play it sometimes. Also, Dungeon Hack rocks.

And my first D&D game was BG1.

17. Alaeila Harktree Gems: 1/31

The same Darkstone as the PlayStation game? Or am I thinking of something else?

18. book_marq Gems: 1/31

Does "Oregon Trail" for the ol'Apple count? LOL, kiddng

My first PC RPG was the gold boxed Pools of Radiance. I completed that game entirely in study hall my Junior year of Highschool!

19. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Betrayal at Krondor in 1996. I started the bussiness with Pen and paper rpgs but this game was a real blast. I played it over maybe a five or six times... :D Then came Might and Magic 6 and 7, and the infinity games.

20. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Baldur's Gate one

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.