1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Which one is your favorite: IWD2 or BG2?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Dujku, May 15, 2003.

1. Dujku Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

...hmm Icewind dale 2 or BG 2 plus expansion..

[ May 15, 2003, 04:27: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 20 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: What one is your favorate? (20 votes.)

What one is your favorate? (Choose 2)
    * Icewind dale 2 - 15% (3)
    * Baldurs Gate 2 - 90% (18)

2. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Overall, BG2 and the ToB Expansion win in my book. BG2 has a better story, more content, more charm/personality and is probably the most memorable computer game I've ever played (I actually got a little choked up reading what happened to the PC, Keldorn, Minsc, Nalia, Anomen and Imoen long after Melissan met her fate). I played through the Single Player game twice, and I did another run through in Multiplayer mode so that I could create my entire party from scratch.

The one major area where IWD2 wins over BG2 is with respect to its implementation of 3rd edition D&D character development (if only there was a 3rd edition BG3 on the horizon -- hell, if they wanted to build it with BIS I'd buy it.. its not about uber graphics really ;) ). A major part of the fun in IWD2 is coming up with different parties to try out.

So, although I give IWD2 a high rating, BG2 had a certain magic that doesn't come along in a PC game very often, which puts it over the top.

A tad off the topic... a BGish game built with the NWN engine would be cool too. Think about it.. you get 3rd edition rules, a lot of content, a good, single player optimized adventure, a strong story and a full party (either NPCs or guys you create yourself -- throw in a handful of prestige classes for good measure, and perhaps, do I dare say it?... ok... an implementation of D&D Epic level advancement\abilities... yikes! I mean, weeee!).

P.S. The henchmen and 1-2 summoned pets you get in single player NWN are bleh... ya I know its primarily designed for multiplayer games. I'm talking about the creation of the single player version of NWN meets Baldur's Gate with some sprinkles of IWD2 in there (why not). I'd buy it.. would you?

[ May 15, 2003, 07:55: Message edited by: larendor ]

3. Urgazhi Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

a 3D (three dimensional) BG2 game would be absolutly huge. you would probably have to cut back on the number of items, quests etc. just so you could fit it on someones HDD.
    i wouldnt mind if i had to delete my entire Hard drive just to fit BG3 ( :lol: ) on my computer.

4. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

BG2 without a doubt.

Actually I'd hate BG with the NWN engine. Gone would be the easy on the eyes look of the game, the cool cut scenes, the wonderful maps.. You'd whack Firkraag and get a whopping 50 XP for it and every fight could be won by running in with your sword

5. corbulo87 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

NWN meets BG? That's just wrong, in all senses of moral and ethics :flaming:

It would be a shame for BG to go so low. A new pathway system version of the Infinity Engine would work wonders for the gameplay of the next Black Isle Forgotten Realms game. As would the implementation of a great, barely linear story and 3E Rules!!!! And an official editor! And mod-maker! And they should give it to us free of charge! No they should PAY us! YES! THE BEST GAME EVER!!!!

...or not :rolleyes:

6. Dujku Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I said BG 2 because i think that open -ended non-linear questing is what i like best. IWD 2 is FAR FAR too linear for me.

7. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    BG2, definatly BG2. IWD2 just wasn't long enough for me.

8. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Of course BG 2 !
    I really missed a good story and the NPC's talks in IWD 2.

9. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Hard question (note the sarcastic tone in my voice). BG2 with out a doubt. The only good thing with IWD2, as someone mentioned above, is the party creation. After I completed IWD2 the first time I just have fun creating different parties, I havn't even got past the second chapter. ITs far to linaer (spelling?), where did the NPCs go, they were good? And some of the classes seemed to have disappeared as well.

10. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    BG 2 + expension? well SOA WAS something a brillant game eh 3 years after it's release we are still talking about it! But TOB well isn't bad I guess, the story is linear and previsible (spelling?). What have they thinking 8 million XP cap? It's not even fun I miss the day where a Ogre berseker WAS challanging sigh... HAEM back to the question shall we? Even if your demi-god (literally I mean LEVEL 40!) the battle aren't better than in SOA, they are just the same but with more dammage. On the other hand IWD II was a deception (spelling?) toooooo linear and just hack 'n slash, but the partie creation was suuuurrreee fun. So when I compare SOA and IWD II SOA win, but betwen TOB and IWD II win.

11. Mariana Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

BG2, because IWD never cut it for me. There is just so much more in BG2.

12. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    BG2 hands down. IW2 offers a better rule system and multiclassing possibilities, but the story is weak and far too linear. BG2 has so many possibilities and replay value that people are still talking and obsessing about it 5 years now after it's original release. Already I saw the price of IWD2 drop to 19.99 in a Best Buy store the other day. It's on it's way out, while people are still playing, discovering, modding and discussing BG2. And speaking of modding, as soon as Weimer finishes his IWD2 rule & interface conversion for BG2, there will be no more arguement at all.

I still like IWD2, but BG2 spanks it bigtime. :D

13. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I have to say BG2. 3E rules are fine but I prefer a better plot.
    As for Throne of Bhaal(or Baal?), I believe that it's nice only the first time you play it; after that it sucks.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.