1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

If you have to choose between battle system and story...

Discussion in 'Playground' started by aj142, Feb 24, 2003.

1. aj142 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Which would you compromise in an RPG? Both are very important to me. Which RPGs do you think have the best in each category?

2. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Hmm, well essentially, these days, RPGs are all very different. I mean the Baldur's Gate series is utterley different to the Final Fantasy series. Now I much prefer Japanese console RPGs to the North American D&D RPGs. I find the story about three times better. And I much prefer the turn based combat element too. So both are heavily important to me. Something which alot of these D&D RPGs are lacking for me. Combat is still great. But even the Baldur's gate saga's storyline seems a little timid to me these days. Especially after having played through the likes of Final Fantasy X.

3. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

"I find the story about three times better"

Oh, man.

Z, I dunno if I'd say it that way. I might very well say it's 3 times more complex. With 3 times the number of plot twists and betrayals and deceptions.

But I'm not really sure I'd call it "better".

4. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

I'm not talking about just FFX. I mean Japanese console RPGs in general, tend to have much more rich and emotional plots than any D&D CRPG.

5. Kuldaharian Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] japanese is so creative...from anime to games to movies..(the ring)...

another thing is japanese games are very versatile in themes..to medieval to futuristic..etc...

6. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Japanese understand what the ingredients for a good plot are. I don't but I can taste the taste nevertheless. BG2 is the best combination of western and eastern style RPG, having both put both character dialogue and relationships as well as combat and personal freedom to a very high priority.

But when you compare any modern RPG:s with games like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6/7.. Well the fact that some people call games like Diablo 2 RPG's tells enough. With the Japanese, it's the social nature and the complexity and involving nature of the plot that makes a game. Their dating games and dating & RPG combination games speak enough of this.

With us western people, all that you basically need to make a RPG is to be able to customise the abilities and traits of your characters to some extent. After that some basic kill 1 000 000 enemies hack'n'slash is all that it takes.

Of course there are exceptions, though.

Oh in case I didn't say it already, I'm for the social style with a good plot all the way.

7. aj142 Gems: 1/31

Xenogears was Japanese, wasn't it? I'm pretty sure it was, but either way it sure was a great story, don't you think? Plus, I think the battle system was pretty decent too. I can't wait for Xenosaga ~ it's part one of the six-part series and the battle system will probably be even better.

8. Kuldaharian Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

40% story 50% battle system 10% longevity...
    i like tales of destiny 2..because of nice battle system...the best system i think..(followed by valkyrie profile)

9. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

The thing with Japanese RPGs is you can't actually "role play." The very thing that gives the genre its name. The stories are good, but far too linear for my tastes. And the script isn't up to par because it has to be translated over to English, no doubt losing some of it's original flavor. These are some of my major pet peeves with the eastern style.

Story, Atmosphere, Characters, and the ability to "role play" is what I look for in an RPG. Combat is good, but isn't essential. (case in point - Planescape: Torment)

10. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

For me, start the game with one or two definite items of story that progress you and tell you what you need to know in order to get into the game. THEN, start a bit more story so that it builds up. Lots of fighting is good for me (hence why i prefer IWD to BG).

I suffer with early bordom if i can't get into the game quickly. Example, i played Morrowind for about 2 hours and then never played it again, and sold it. Purely coz i couldn't get into it. That's why i like first person games such as thief. The objectives are clear, so i can get on with it.

So, in answer to the question: Not one or the other. A game without any story will be mindless bludgeon, but a game with all story will get really annoying as there will be more emphasis on story than gameplay.

To highlight a point, i think there is too much story in bg. Hence, whenever i play it since completing it the first time, i hardly speak to anyone, except for people i really have to.

11. aj142 Gems: 1/31

Why don't they make more games like those old "choose your own adventure" books? Ya know ~ where there is only one beginning, but eventually it branches off into many possible story endings... like, 50 possible endings!

12. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

I can't wait to get it either. It's been getting on average 9/10 reviews. :)

13. aj142 Gems: 1/31

Doesn't it come out TOMORROW???

14. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

Maybe for you. But i'm in the UK.

15. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

An epic story and lots of roleplaying. If its linear than get it away from me! I couldn't stand a game that just channels you where you have to go. Combat systems are also impotant, look at POR:2's. It was just terrible, you get a minute to do something while these things take more than a minute or something and you end up going nuts!

16. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Dang it, why do we Brits get the back end of the sale times. The only games we get first(ish) are those created primarily by European game designers/creators.

I can't wait for Xenosaga, I bought Xenogears on import, and loved every second of it.

In terms of this post: Story is my main aspect when it comes to buying a new RPG, although i'll credit that Xenogears had a cool one (not so much the gear combat, more melee)

I still think the best RPG of all time (remember, this is IMO) Final Fantasy VII, closely followed by Xenogears.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.