1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Taking a party through all the games

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Elios, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

[​IMG] Ok, I am working on developing a party to take through all the role playing games, BG I & II, IWD I & II with the expansion packs and mods.
    What I want to do is start in one game, play it, then "transfer" my party to the next game. What I may have to end up doing is creating a party in multiplayer, but just assigning control to myself. I also realize I will prob have to use an editor to keep the party the same in every game. I only want to edit stuff like stats, try to keep the same weapons or weapons with as close to similar properties as possible.
    I have some questions I need suggestions on.
    1) What order would you recommend playing the games in? I am thinking starting with BG>BGII>IWD>IWDII. Does that seem to be a logical order? Also, is there any other games I could play and throw in there and keep a party of 6.
    2)By the time I finish a game, my level and experience points will have obviously gone up. So when I start the next game, should I edit my stats on the party to where I left off? Start from scratch in each game? I'd like to have some sort of progression from game to game. So maybe edit my stats slightly higher, but not all the way?
    Thanks, and anything else I haven't though of, please feel free to mention.

2. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I think playing IWD with a party that has finished BG2 is going to be a bit easy and lacking in challenge.

3. ettercap Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

even a successful bg1 + mod grandmaster can easily have reached level 8+ with his chars, which makes iwd up to the lower pits of dragon´s eye keep a cake walk. well maybe the heart of fury-mode can spice it up enough to vindicate that way of playing.

probably the best way to play is:

bg -> iwd -> bg2

but the same problem goes for the second shift, having completed iwd, how and the luremaster should leave your chaps at something round lvl 25-30, which makes bg2 pretty easy to beat...

since iwd2 features 3rd edition rules you have to start all over with a new party for this game anyway.

4. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    huh, the last time I tried to export my BG1 characer to IWD it didn´t accept the character

[ January 07, 2003, 21:27: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

5. Elios Gems: 17/31

That's why I'm thinking that when I start another game, I use an editor to bring my stats to what the party had from the previous game. As for the experience and levels of my party, I'm thinking to keep the game challanging, I'll just have to start the party from the begining in each game.

6. ettercap Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

you somehow contradict yourself, when you speak of "when I start another game, I use an editor to bring my stats to what the party had from the previous game" and then continuing with "As for the experience and levels of my party, I'm thinking to keep the game challanging". ;)

you can only have it one way, either rebuilding your party from the last game, or accomodating them to the level of the current game. both won´t work. i guess that´s why black isle made two seperate gamelines.

7. Elios Gems: 17/31

Ok, I see the confusion there. Lets say I start out with BG I. For simplicity sake, let's just say I am soloing. Fighter-Str:17, Dex:14, Con:12, Wis:13, Int:14, Cha:15. Say those are the stats when I create my character. So I take him all through BG I, including the expansions and finish. By now, lets just say he's level 18 (just threw a number out). Now I want to take him through BGII. Now I can import him into BGII I think. So I do it, play the game and finish. Now, let's just say he is level 33, whatever and I want to take him through IWD I. But he is too high of a level and will make the begining of that game way to easy. Plus I can't import him. So, I make a brand new fighter from scratch and it won't really matter what his stats are. Because once I start, I'll save the game and open it in an editor. I'll change all his stats to what it was in BG I. Fighter-Str:17, Dex:14, Con:12, Wis:13, Int:14, Cha:15. Plus saving throws, etc. I'll edit in whatever weapons he had in BG II or rather give him comparable weapons. Everything else, like his experience points and level I'll leave alone.
    Does that make a little more sense?

8. Mortensen Banned

I thought that was what you meant Elios :) Yes it sounds like a fun idea

9. Uluk the Armripper Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

In fact Elios, I have tried this. I took a party of six through BG1, made a new game with "imported" chars in IWD and played it nearly to the end until I got a little bored of playing IE games in general. I still have the saves though and plan to continue to BG2+ToB some day.

Anyway, I feel that if you want to go through these games, this is the order you should use. Of course IWD was much easier (and BG2 will be also) with those "super"characters but it was still fun. Even though I dislike those seemingly endless dungeons in IWD...

Nonetheless, so-called powergamers would probably like this approach. ;)

10. Silroth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Especially fighters will have weapons and armor at the end of a game which will allow them to walk through anything thrown at them for the first half of any game.
    So keeping the weapons is more or less like keeping the experience.
    Also I think it would be merely half the fun to know that in the whole game there are only one or two artifacts which are worth getting your hands on.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.