1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BioWare & BIS RPGs -- starting zones

Discussion in 'Playground' started by TheBlackRose, Nov 29, 2002.

1. TheBlackRose Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Which "starting zone" did you like the most?

Baldur's Gate - Candlekeep
    Baldur's Gate 2 - Irenicus' Dungeon
    Torment - The Mortuary my pick
    Icewind Dale - Easthaven
    Icewind Dale 2 - Targos
    Fallout - Vault 13 thanks ejsmith
    Fallout 2 - Arroyo thanks ejsmith
    Pool of Radiance - don't know
    Neverwinter Nights - don't know

[ November 30, 2002, 16:02: Message edited by: TheBlackRose ]

2. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Icewind Dale 2 - Targos is my favourite by far. Baldurs Gate 2 has by far the worst one.

3. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Oh yes the mortuary, definitely the mortuary. It gives the game a macabre touch from the beginning.

4. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Mortuary, definetly

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Candlekeep probably. The Mortuary put too many people off playing Torment before they even started, so it gets minus points from me, even though I liked it.

6. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

The Mortuary regardless.

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Candlekeep; good place to get to know the game plus you can skip that part easily.

Dunno of Torment or IWD2...never played. Thought of buying the first mentioned, but it has, most likely, as dumb Al as BG. A pity.

[ November 30, 2002, 14:11: Message edited by: Virne ]

8. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Yep.

The Mortuary definately threw me off. I dealt with it, and enjoyed the game. I guess I was expecting Baldur's Gate, and it IS markedly different.

Personally, I'm going to have to go with the Icewind Dale starting area. Easthaven. (that's a suprise :) )

It's a typcial starting area. You control just how fast you get into the game. Granted, you get shoved into the game, ready or not, at the end of the prologue. But it's still a decent starting area.

Candlekeep is pretty much the same thing. You get shoved in after a typical starting area. It's a good blend, too.

Just not as cold.

The starting area for Fallout 1 is "Vault 13".

The starting area for Fallout 2 is "Arroyo".

9. ToTaL Gems: 12/31

I really cant decide. One more for "Mortuary threw me off!", but since my heart was broken after i was thrown out of Vault 13, i think i developed most connections for that place! From Infinity games, i choose IWD 1, why? When I first played IWD, afer BG1, i thought, wow, what a game, look at the graphics (yes, that too :) ) And i relly liked that small cosy town, i like that kind of places, that is why i discarded NWN and IWD2 (here start also threw me off, but the real reason is that the timing was not right for me :( )

My favourite place in Fallout 2 is that half-vault in Toxic Caves, so that also explains my choice and affinities to small places ;)

10. Frog Gems: 12/31

Veteran

The rat infested caves just outside of the vault to be exact.

Temple of Trials, one of the worse next to Irenicus's Dungeon. Ack!

11. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Fallout's rat infested caves, it's nice to begin a game by shooting rats in the eyes :D

Candlekeep is very close second- it was the first area ever for me in a infinite engine game, I loved it

Agreed!! :mad:

12. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Candlekeep, then Vault 13.

If BG1 only would've had the dialogue and depth of sidequests, music & feeling that BG2 did... oh my.

13. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Gotta be CandleKeep.

Irenicus' dungeon sucks, its too long, serious and boring.

However, I always prefer my p'n'p session starts. Its actually developed into a ritual.

"Ok" i'll say to my small four man AD&D group (including me) "Your in an inn, called the XXX in the town/village/city/port town of XXX"

Inns in towns are the best way to start, as if your in there, you have ready access to a safe room, hot food and drink. Also, I always let my players buy any equipment first before I lay down the harsh reality that is my gaming sessions.

14. Ray192 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

either Easthaven or Candelkeep. Candelkeep just has this good feeling... I can't describe it, same thing for easthaven, except it's theme music is soooooooooo good....

15. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Neverwinter nights - Training Acedemy

You start in your room and you are to meet Aribeth. Along the way you'll meet people who teach you how to play the game. When you met Aribeth, the Acedemy is under attack and you are to get out of here. Now comes the fun part, every you go you see death bodies (including those who trained you and trained with you) and low level 1hp hostile goblins. Goblins with 1hp launched a surprise attack and took down the Acedemy which is suppose to train heros to save Neverwinter.

16. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Mortuary, easily. I was initially somewhat put off, but that wore off after a minute. By the time I was trying to pry the armor off of a giant skeleton, I was hooked. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.