1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Final Fantasy Poll

Discussion in 'Final Fantasy Series' started by Foradasthar, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I'll leave out the nes -games from the end in face of the fact that their plot and gameplay mechanics are too simple, graphics too ugly and music too miserable. Vote for the game you think of as best. Selectables are FFIV - FFX. I'll give my own vote for... well you figure it out. ;)

Oh btw. The last question has an error in it. The last selectable is FF X, not FF XX. Not yet anyhow. :rolleyes:

[ November 29, 2002, 10:07: Message edited by: Forashi ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 5 question(s). 43 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Final Fantasy Poll (43 votes.)

When did you play your first (any) Final Fantasy game? (Choose 1)
    * 1988-1990 - 7% (3)
    * 1990-1992 - 0% (0)
    * 1992-1994 - 5% (2)
    * 1994-1996 - 16% (7)
    * 1996-1998 - 30% (13)
    * 1998-2000 - 26% (11)
    * 2000-2002 - 16% (7)

Which (any) Final Fantasy -game was the first one you ever played? (Choose 1)
    * FF I - 14% (6)
    * FF II - 9% (4)
    * FF III - 0% (0)
    * FF IV - 0% (0)
    * FF V - 0% (0)
    * FF VI - 9% (4)
    * FF VII - 44% (19)
    * FF VIII - 12% (5)
    * FF IX - 7% (3)
    * FF X - 5% (2)

How many, and which games (all) of the Final Fantasy -series have you played? (Choose 10)
    * FF I - 35% (15)
    * FF II - 35% (15)
    * FF III - 40% (17)
    * FF IV - 49% (21)
    * FF V - 49% (21)
    * FF VI - 63% (27)
    * FF VII - 84% (36)
    * FF VIII - 79% (34)
    * FF IX - 60% (26)
    * FF X - 44% (19)

Is Final Fantasy uniqueness corrupting because of its huge growing popularity? (Choose 1)
    * Yes. - 30% (13)
    * Perhaps a little. - 21% (9)
    * Not sure. - 12% (5)
    * Not really. - 19% (8)
    * Definitely not. - 19% (8)

Which one(s) of the following Final Fantasy -games was the best? (Why?*) (Choose 2)
    * FF IV - 7% (3)
    * FF V - 2% (1)
    * FF VI - 16% (7)
    * FF VII - 53% (23)
    * FF VIII - 16% (7)
    * FF IX - 19% (8)
    * FF XX - 19% (8)

2. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    FF Five all the way! Getting to be any class was the best! Why can't you choose Final Fantasy 1, 2, or three for the last question?

3. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

As I said, FF 1-3 were nes-games (not sure about 3 now that I think about it). And nes is too underdeveloped, and far too geek -exposed (meaning, many would vote them not because they were really that good, but because they feel more "original" and "better" fans by doing so).

Edit: Btw, some still make the mistake of confusing FF 3 (US -version) with FF 6 (Japanese, original version). In Japan already 6 FF:s had been released, but their sixth was but the third one in US, so it was renamed Final Fantasy III. Most FF:ers know this.

[ November 29, 2002, 14:25: Message edited by: Forashi ]

4. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

I found X to be the best for me. Sure it was very linear, but I really hate games where you have too much freedom. I'm there for the story, not to run around looking for a key. It's graphics are quite simply a pleasure to look at, and the story is the best i've seen so far. My all time fave game, it's the one that sets the PS2 apart from the competition. Just every aspect is brilliant, from switching people in combat, to Bliztball league matches. I remember I got an Early Demo of the game with FFVI, I forgot all about the game I had bought and played the demo over and over again. Not a better game can be played anywhere.

[ November 29, 2002, 22:55: Message edited by: Z-Layrex ]

5. Atreides Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

FFX isn't the best in the series in my opinion. Sure, they added voiceovers and it looked damn good but it was a pain in the neck to give your characters abilities (that whole sphere thing drove me nuts!) However, to it's credit I will play FFX over FFVIII any day of the week, hated that game through and through and there are no decent things to say about that piece of ****.

6. ToTaL Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Thumbs up for FF VIII. I know that many people don't like this one, but i don't know why. I think it was still very good and i had great time playing it. Ok, maybe because i cheated with cocobo world mini game, but who cares since you don't like it. I somewhat liked junction system and all that drawing smagic, it seemed really arcadical. But the story, so many turnarounds, who could follow that... Ok, FFVII had (has) great (best) story!

7. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

VIII was my fave one on the PS1.

8. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I like my RPG's with some character background, and that the background should be interesting.

Hence I don't like FF8, (Oh, isn't it a coincidence that we all came from the same foster home)

Seven, now theres a story with some backbone. Every character, besides Cait Sith, had a background with a story effecting aspect to it. Cait Sith's background is *SPOILER SPOILER* Reeve's, so you don't discover anything about him besides he has a heart (When he disagree's with something its usually for a good reason)

9. Atreides Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Enthasius that's the exact reason that I like FFVII. I couldn't stand the story in FFVIII, I thought that the main character Squall was a ****. With a bad story the whole Junctioning thing made the game unplayable to me.

10. FenixStrife Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I liked ffX, and I loved FF3/6. but none, bar NONE, can even begin to compare with FF7. it has earned its place in the hall of fame alongside chrono trigger and various other games.

--FenixStrife

11. Frog Gems: 12/31

Veteran

FF6 is the best one.

12. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

My first FF was FFVII which was great, but with all FF games when nearing the end it becomes tedious, power up this, max this and so on and so on.

I played FFII - FFVI after FFVII and I wasn't impressed (partially because I didn't really get into the story due lack of time) so my fav is FFVII

13. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Oh yeah. Chrono Trigger has to be THE best console rpg ever. And agreed, FF VII is the best psx game, second best crpg ever. Never played FF X, once saw it during a short visit to a friend of mine but that's it. Chrono Cross was ok as well, though it could've been a whole lot better. Too many main characters in it and the world was too small and simple. But I did like the musics.

14. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

FFVII is the best one in the series (second master summon coming next weekend, finally i did beat emerald weapon... ruby to go...).
    I actually loved junction system in FFVIII (and beating Omega Weapon)

15. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I've only played two of them, FFIX and FFVII.

And out of these, the first one's probably my favourite, but I like both of them.

I got FF9 first, but soon after I needed to get another one. so I got FFVII, because I found it in a second hand bit.

Does anyone know where I can buy FF8? :confused:

16. ToTaL Gems: 12/31

Does anybody know, are they at least planing to transfer FF IX or other sequels to PC?

17. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Final Fantasy VI / III. Locke, Sabin, Celes, Terra... Despite limitations of SNES, they had personalities and their own background -be it a short one. The graphics were good, better than any of the previous ones or even VII, which had toyish characters, or VIII, which was just ugly. The music was not only listenable but enjoyable and the game system was done very well. Plus the game had dozens of secrets and no (weird) japanese humor (like fat chocobos falling from the sky). So, yeah; FF VI/III is the best of the serie...

[edit] But then; I havenĀ“t played FF X...

[ January 02, 2003, 20:09: Message edited by: Virne ]

18. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Virne, I already mentioned that the US version Final Fantasy III (yes the one you are talking about, with Celes, Terra, espers etc) is in reality Final Fantasy VI. In Japan, the sixth Final Fantasy was the third one to be published in US, and for that reason it was renamed FF III for the US version. So put your vote based on that.

I don't think it's too old or shallow either, every SNES Final Fantasy is supposed to be there for you to vote on. I only left the NES ones out. And even when I think that some of the GB FF Legends are good, I don't think it's fair to compare them with SNES / PSX / PS2 versions.

19. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Let me just first of all say that I never liked any of the Final Fantasy games I've played. Except FF VII. Sure, the graphics suffer in comparison to newer ones, but the story was interesting, the characters had real depth, and the magic system was very interesting.

And Red XIII was just too cool. ;)

[ January 03, 2003, 06:46: Message edited by: Kam ]

20. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I quite like FFVIII when I first played it, since it was the first FF game I was ever introduced to. While I ended up enjoying VII better in the end, VIII will always have a sentimental value to me. But my favourite? X. All the way. I loved, adored, relished, and every other descriptive word I can think of, that game. I loved the sphere grid. I loved the summons. I loved the characters. I cried at the end. My secret fantasy is to meet a guy like Auron :D (Though preferably not....well, that would be a spoiler. But you know what I mean.)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.