1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why the fuss in media over Neverwinter Nights only?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Farthy, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

[​IMG] The media has failed to recognize the original Baldur's Gate and all its following (BGII, ToB, IWD, PS:T) as revolutionary games. I have not read a single article in a non-video game or computer magazine about these games. I hear about Neverwinter Nights in the news, Time Magazine, Newsweek (in the US), and just about every other media type. Why do they only see Neverwinter Nights, which most of us agree is NOT better than the good ol' Infinity Engine games, as the true DnD game? I know NwN has the dungeon maker and advanced multiplayer, but isn't it time the other games got more recognition?

Perhaps the majority prefer hack'slash to true role-playing.

2. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] What are they saying about it?

3. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I think you've answered your own question just there. The majority of gamers are the quick thrill sort (IMO) and don't like having to think, which you inevitably do in RPG's. However the hack n slash can provide them with the quick thrills they want because they know they never have to actually think. NWN was made for the majority which is why a lot of the Hardcore or even Semi-Hardcore true RPGer's didnt like it.

Well that's my two cents.

4. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, I'd dispute that NWN is more hack n slash than the IE games (with the exception of PST). But that's another topic.

On this topic:

The non gaming media is not interested in, or skilled at, evaluating games on a quality basis. They are interested in important trends and developments, though. NWN has sold well enough to make its new concept newsworthy. The attempt to replicate genuine D&D play is notable in a way that just another CRPG is not.

5. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I think the big reason NWN has made so much of a splash in the mainstream media is the way it was presented.

I've seen some of these articles, and they basically made it sound like you could exactly duplicate the pen and paper aspect in this game. And not only that, but you could do it quickly and easily. And you could basically make any type of content that you wanted. That was the hook.

Never mind the fact that 90% of the user created modules are garbage, never mind the fact that I've not played one mod that came close to what these articles were describing (most of them gave you the impression that DMs would be monitoring the games and adding new content "on the fly"), these articles touted the "potential" of the game. I think the idea was that most games are made by a (relatively) small group of people, and are finite in scope, and in NWNs case, they are opening up everything you need to make your own games to the general public. So the game was pretty much infinite in terms of replay value and content.

Of course the other Infinity Engine games are much better, but they don't really allow you to make your own content. You can, in some cases, modify these games (I've seen "unofficial" expansions for the BG games, and some of the others), but the average person does not have the ability to create their own Icewind or Planescape mods.

The main draw in the mainstream press was 1) Easy to make your own content 2) Freedom to make anything you wanted and 3) Online play, usually regulated by a DM that could easily customize the game while people were playing. Not hard to understand why they got so excited about that, is it?

6. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Its just like Britney Spears...
    Why are all media full of that stupid girl?
    Somebody makes a good effort to push her there.

7. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Actually, I read an article in PC Gamer touting the IE games over NWN. The truth is, though, yes, NWN is a bit more targetted at the majority of gamers (more profits for Bio).

That said, NWN is a bit more revolutionary. While the IE games started out revolutionary, we have to agree that the sequels and such don't really advance the genre any.

8. ettercap Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

"...don't really advance the genre any."

imo a fact that has not been proven by nwn yet. time will tell...

9. Farthy Gems: 10/31

Veteran

[​IMG] IMO Bioware compromised their position with us (correct me if I’m wrong) by trying to create a hybrid with DnD and, it disgusts me to say it, DIABLO II!!! Our worst enemy, right? Now I’m not saying NwN is totally horrible or anything – it is quite good – but is little compared to the previous games.

Big B, they are basically saying that NwN is like EverQuest and Morrowind and that it is one of the best of the summer of ’02 (which are all untrue except for the latter part). That does not anger me. What does is that they do not bother to mention Baldur’s Gate or Icewind Dale or Torment. Perhaps no one shoved it in their faces like many of you said.

Rastor, you saw that in PC Gamer, but I mentioned non-gaming magazines. Again, game magazines will without a doubt look beyond the hollowness and gilded NwN, but mainstream media will not tolerate the original Bioware CRPGS.

All of you are correct; I’m beginning to feel we are lucky “the chosen” in terms of quality computer gaming. I just can’t stand it when I show BG to other people and they say it sucks because there’s too much talking and thinking (my world record for someone watching the game for the longest time was up to the genie’s riddle Irenicus’ dungeon)!!! In fact, one of my friends preferred Dark Alliance over the computer Baldur’s Gate. I know, unspeakable. I feel much better now, at least some people in the world look beyond the “rush out uncompleted with bugs and a lot of blood and profit and make patches later” mentality of gaming companies which Bioware is slowly, I’m sorry to say, slipping into. :(

[ November 10, 2002, 10:12: Message edited by: Farthy ]

10. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG]
    I believe gaming reviewers overrate NWN and that the mainstream (non-gaming) press mainly get their opinions from them.

One thing not mentioned yet in this thread is the hype over 3D. IMO NWN's graphics are not nearly as beautiful as the 2D sceneries in the Infinity games. NWN suffers from too few "landscape modules" (I forgot the exact term for it but hopefully you know what I mean) making it repetitious and boring.

It's not like 3D is new; all those first player shoot-em-ups (Quake etc) have been around for ages, haven't they?

11. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I have not seen anything about any of those games, but if what you say is true, that is pretty odd.

12. Farthy Gems: 10/31

Veteran

Why is that odd? Haven't you listened to news from the radio or read news magazines about Neverwinter Nights?

I'm sorry I would give you the links to the articles but the news magazine websites, due to their capitalist greed, have made it so you must subscribe to their magazine to read and post their articles.

13. Vince Clortho Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The interface change makes the Diablo connection most noticeable. I don't hate Diablo, but it is totally sad that BioWare sold out on this point: the game is less fun because you have such an attenuated immediate scope on things compared to IE games. Your point seems right on target, that they tried to forge a hybrid--and that this is the downfall of the game...

The story of NWN (what does IMO mean?) was apparently left thin -- and for that, somebody in Edmonton probably ought to feel ashamed. Could it be that only Black Isle would have made it what it should have been? *sigh*

As for me, I'd rather see people learn to use the TeamBG tools and create their own maps than play NWN mods with that limited interface.

Aaaamen. Every time I see a spinning golden arrow at the edge of a screen in BG or BGII these days, or remember the awe-inspiring autumnal foliage from BGI, I feel like chanting "all hail the mighty 2D sprite."
    :cry:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.