1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Buy or copy games?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Mollusken, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

There was a poll almost like this on the front page, but I want to see the results of a more specific one.

[ October 08, 2002, 21:11: Message edited by: Mollusken ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 42 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Buy or burn games? (42 votes.)

Buy or copy games? (Choose 1)
    * I buy everything - 48% (20)
    * I copy everything illegally - 12% (5)
    * I buy only the really good ones - 29% (12)
    * I copy first, then buy later if they're good - 12% (5)

2. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I buy everything. You pirates out there (ar) should be ashamed of yourselves. :mad:

[ October 08, 2002, 21:13: Message edited by: reepnorp ]

3. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Buy. Stealing is for losers.

4. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I don't pirate music or games.

I download music to sample it, and if I like it, I will buy the cd's. I have found some great music on the internet, especially on Napster and Audiogalaxy before these sites were shut down.

5. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

There's a whole list of games I would never have bought, or soundtracks for that matter, if I'd not have checked them out first.

And, of course, there are a few that I would *never* have bought if I'd just checked them out first... :)

6. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I sometimes burn a music compilation, as its legal, but copying game's is just cheap.

7. Astin X Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I buy or swap games, but only have really been after Black Isle/ Bioware games. I surely would prefer them to work together again, SP on NWN was pretty weak.

8. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

definatly buy :cool:

9. Rogue Rasta Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I've scored one game via pirate, AOEII, but I lost it so I ended up buying it anyway. Talk about Charma. I will never again get a hold of a pirated game again. People put blood, sweat and tears into the production of a game. There is no doubt that they should get my dollars.

Now music is another story. Music comes from the heart and soul. You can't put a dollar sign on that. The muisc I truly love is old Grateful Dead...I mean old 1965-1972, most of that music ain't for sale folks, but that music can be found for free (and in high quality format, aka shn files, not mp3's) if you look in the right places. Where else can you hear The Beach Boys Jammin' with the Grateful Dead. Great line from one of the beach boys jamming with the Dead during Good Vibrations..."We did this on the bus with The Buffalo Springfield all stoned and drunk...it sounded great!!" Can't buy that in the stores. Music should be free. Now I have no problem buying a Dead Show or Marley disc that I can't find anywhere but in the store. Gotta support the band somehow if they can't/don't play live anymore.

But this is my point. My old man who is 54 years young now, played in a band back in the early 60's in Iowa. He played rythym guitar in a band called The Stompers. Yep never heard of em right! The Stompers used to be the back up band for Chuck Berry and The Everly Brothers every time they came to town. Chuck requested The Stompers on several ocassions. That was often, and Chuck requested The Stompers every time he was in that area. The four Stompers made around 150 to 180 dollars to split between them. And that was for a weekend show. 150-180 dollars for 3 days (Friday-Sunday)of playing plus free beer. That's nothing, they played for fun not for the money, well maybe for the free beer as well, but that's the way it should be.

Now my Old man and his band have been getting together for the past 14 years and have been playing a 'Free High School Reunion'. Me and my brother have jammed with them as well as the other band members sibblings, and it's a blast. Once again it's all for fun, not the money.

Now and again I jam (guitar) with other bands around the city, a Dub Band, Reggea band and a Dead cover Band, I get paid in beer. I have never collected any cash from any of the bands I've jammed with. Lemme make it clear right now....I have never ever earned one stinkin' penny for my playing, and thats the way it should be.

Moral of the story, buy your games with your hard earned cash, gotta support the lowely developers. But when it comes to music, (it's your call of course) support them by going to their show, that'll pay for their beer, buying thier discs supports the record label more than the band, and well that means more 'drinks' for the record execs and less beer for the band!

[ October 09, 2002, 15:12: Message edited by: Thorongil ]

10. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Off Topic, but I HAD to respond to Thorongil.
    I don't listen to mainstream music. So the money I'm spending on cd's goes more into the artists pockets and to the promotion of other artists, than into some fat cat record execs pockets.

Almost all the bands I listen to are indie bands on small labels. Folk is kind of an indie genre by itself, and there's indie rock, indie pop, indie metal, etc. Even indie rap and hip hop, if you are into that sort of thing :rolleyes:

None of these bands make tons of money, and in many cases the labels they are on are run by one indie band with help from some friends (like Ida's Simple Machines label), or a music lover who wanted to give others an alternative to signing with mainstream labels.

I will gladly go see a show, but a lot of bands I listen to (particularily the European-style metal bands) never come to Pittsburgh. We are driving to Cleveland to see Pinetop Seven next month, cause my cuz and I really like this band, but it's not normally an alternative.

Just wanted to make you realize there is another alternative to lining the pockets of mainstream record execs: listen to indie bands! I've heard a lot more of them that are original and different than mainstream. At one time I used to think that the mainstream music world was pretty much all there was to offer, and most indie bands were small for a reason: they were not good enough to get signed by major labels. 375+ cd's (all indie bands) later, I can clearly say that's not the case!

Check out www.insound.com, they have a really wide range of music available, or www.epitonic.com, which often has mp3's that you can sample.

[ October 09, 2002, 19:14: Message edited by: Nutrimat ]

11. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I have to admit, I do burn games. I'm only a kid, so I have no money. I wouldn't buy them anyway, so I guess that's how I justify it. One thing that helps me sleep at night is that I only burn games from big corporations, such as EA, Activision and Microsoft(let them burn in hell). I always try to buy the games from the little guys, like BioWare, Blizzard(although they aren't so little no more) and any other good games that deserve my scanty cash.

12. Kovsky Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

i never buy games

why should i spend money if i can not?
    i prefer buy some beers and cigars to enjoy while a play :D

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    For the same reason you get paid for whatever work you do to pay for those cigars and beers.

14. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    ooo, a Warez D00d. Looks like it's time for some meathook sodomy.

If you can afford a game-capable computer, you can afford the games

15. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] *ahem*

I have 5 music CDs - two of which are copied, 3 are bought

I don't actually but mot of my games either - several came with my computers, a few were gifts or pass-em-ons, a couple were borrowed, and I have about 4 copied games.

two games were from BC as he copied a few old games no longer in production for me, the other 2 are from my dads friend who cpoies games for a living - I have AoE2 and Who wants to be a millionaire from him.

I can often get things for free, but then again, I'm a dragon ;)

16. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    For games, I either buy it if it's one of those games that deserve to be brought (Final Fantasy Series, for instance). Sometimes we copy them, then if we like it, we buy it.

17. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

We've debated this many times over, and I think the general consensus has generally been that by far most people on here would buy the games *IF* they could afford them.

I dare say that those of us that can generally do.

It's not rocket science, if the games are pirated there will eventually be fewer good games. That would be a shame.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.