1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Worst purchase ever?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Apeman, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I agree with Blog:

KQ8: Mask of Eternity

After all the fun I had playing these kq-series, Sierra succeded to create a game I only played for 1 hour.
    Congrats, Sierra! It's a tough job, making an 'RPG'-game even I don't like...

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

[​IMG] Dungeon Siege. It looked nice, it was an RPG, and it had decend previews. :shame: Tsh...waste of money. It was just too simple and therefore too easy. If that piece of sheit weren´t on the top, Final Fantasy 8 would be there, but I got it cheap, only 20€, and managed to play it through...

[ November 24, 2002, 14:18: Message edited by: Virne ]

3. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Hmmm worst purchase - a bundle with rebel assualt 1 and 2 in it. Bought for £20 about 3 years ago, sold it 1 year ago for £10 to a friend (who loooooves SW and SW games. He even though Sw:episode 1 was a great game!). Rebel assualt is unplayable without a joystick (well you can use a mouse but it's nigh on impossible to steer) and while the sequel is easy with a mouse it's just a string of bad voiceovers to equally bad sw clips (but with different faces) and although i finished the game (i didnt have any other games at that time, it was on my first computer) it was just the same thing again and again for about 20 levels grrrr :grr:

If i'd actually bought it i would have said neverwinter nights (i got it as an early birthday present from my mum). I got it about 3 weeks for my birthday. It was fun for about a week. That is not good for a game i've been looking forward to for over 3 years.

4. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

ChuChu Rocket on the Dreamcast also sucks.

5. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Neverwinter Nights so far...I bought it specifically cause I had someone who would play multiplayer with me, and we no longer talk. That's $50 I could have spent on Warcraft III man! Also, a game calle Star Trek: Final Unity that never got past the first mission. Stupid buggy game.

6. AlexGK Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

@dragonjewel13
    Warcraft III?I too don't like NWN muck but WC3 is way more stupid after you finish the singe campaigns... Playd it like 10-15 times on Battle.net, now i'm playin BW again :mad:
    Somebody said something about Lord of Magic and Lords of the realm 2.You got both english?If so i can buy them at once!They are just great WITH the last paches for them.Especially Lords of the realm 2.My brother has them now :( :(

On topic:Definetly Fallout Tactics :mad: :flaming: :mad: :bang: :mad:

7. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Ok, I just bought a game I'd like to add on here to my previous lists. I living in a hotel right now while we wait to close on our house (another story for somewhere else :flaming: :bang: ) and only have a hockey game cd to play. So I went to Walmart and bought this bundle "Gamefest: Forgotten Realms Classics. Talk about a waste of ten bucks. All the games suck, they are old games, most are DOS based and won't work properly on my computer.

8. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I too purchased the Gamefest Forgotten Realms Archive. I'd played a lot of the Gold Box AD&D games back in the day, have fond memories of them, and thought it would be really cool to check out Pool of Radiance, Secret of the Silver Blades, etc. again, as well as some of the games I never got to play, like Menzoberranzan and the Eye of the Beholder series.
    Wow. Either something went horribly wrong translating them to PC (I originally played them on a C-64), or my memory is going bad. I played most of the games for about 10 minutes, then had to stop. The graphics were much much worse than I remembered, my mouse won't work at all with these, and the developers were too lazy to make the games easy to use with a keyboard (why can't I just use enter and the arrows to navigate menus?). I can't get my characters to attack diagonally on the POR type games, I have to cycle through every enemy and friendly to select someone standing right next to me.
    This one's going up on ebay!

Other bad PC games I've bought and hated:
    Kiss Psycho Circus. I used to be a big Kiss fan, so I thought this would be cool. Well, none of the menus worked at all until I downloaded and installed two patches. The graphics and level design were very reminiscent of Heretic (An almost 10 year old game). But I persevered. Until I got to the second area. I'd saved at this point the previous day, and I had an autosave as well. After about 7 failed attempts to load the save game, with the game crashing my PC every time, I was faced with the choice of reinstalling the game or deleting it. BAM! Up for sale on ebay. I should note that a friend of mine loves this game, and had none of the problems that I did playing it.

Evil Islands. If you get a chance to pick this up for a fiver, buy a roll of duct tape instead, give it to a friend and tell him to tape you to a chair and use you for a dartboard while chanting the BG spell incantation at you until you are almost insane. It's more fun than playing this.

Black and White. Oh hey, this is neat, you get a creature to help you! Oh cool, you can train him! Look, he's flinging his poop at the villagers! Look, he's eating people! Um, is there anything else to this game besides a really, really bad camera and nifty creature AI? No. Nothing. At all. I kept thinking there was this really cool game underneath it all, but came to the conclusion that they simply forgot to make it.

9. Karunirin Rochambeau Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Aw, Civ2 is fun. It's old, but it's better than most of the repetitive crap out there.

I gotta say Civilization: Call to Power. That was awful, so bad that MicroProse brought Sid Meier back to make another: after he resigned! Ha!

10. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

My worst purchase are two chinese games called 'wind and cloud' and 'dragon god'.

i suppose chinese games aren't that popular and famous, so my worst purchased english title is 'Dungeon Siege'.
    Personally i think Dungeon Siege is insulting the player's IQ. i do appreciate the intention of the game designers to keep the game simple, but what they have presented is pure stupid. There is a serious lack of 'special moves'. What makes a fighter different from a mage? The usual huge hp, huge strength, hugh melee damage, and that's it. How about adding some special moves that can execute by certain fighter level? After i finished Dungeon Siege, suddenly i felt that Diablo 2 is sophisticated.

11. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

true pinball to PS... hate pinball... here home in sweden we call it flipper and i was only ten or so and got really dizzed...

12. Tam1970 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] At the moment, Neverwinter Nights. (For more information, see my post on the NWN forum)

Tomb Raider (nice polygonal bazombas, but you couldn't get the silly woman to go where you wanted her to)

13. MrGrouch Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Oh so many...let's see...

Descent to Undermountain : I couldn't get the thing to even run. And from what I heard, even when people could get it to run, it did not run well.

Blood & Magic : It was billed as an AD&D game, but it certainly had nothing to do with D&D as far as I could tell. And the thing was so darn hard, that it proved unplayable for someone of my meager skills. Oh, and the fact that it wouldn't let go of memory when you quit didn't help my opinion of it either.

Sin : I thought the first level was great. But I couldn't even figure out the second level. You were supposed to sneak around, but everyone saw/heard you even when you say still. And even though I didn't make it there, there was major bug problems with later levels.

Forsaken : Actually, I kind of liked it once I got used to the Orb controller. But there were two things that kept me from completing it - sheer monotony and extreme difficulty at later levels. But my roommates and I did have fun in Deathmatches.

Though more recently there is
    - Empire Earth (computer didn't like my playing style and kicked my butt every single game)
    - Heavy Metal FAKK2 (sloppy controls)
    - Heroes of Might and Magic IV (what happened?)

MrGrouch

[ December 13, 2002, 06:33: Message edited by: MrGrouch ]

14. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Yeah, i agree about Empire Earth. Me and a mate played it about 6 months ago. You spend all that time doing the training missions which are a pain. Then about 2 or 3 missions into the main campaign the computer lays down some severe whoopage.

It was a level where you had to get into the enemies fort and raise it (I think a trojan horse was involve but that could have been a different mission). But at the main gate there was an army. Even with a multi-skilled army of our own we got whooped. Even trying to draw off a couple at a time didn't work - the enemy would respawn behind the fog of war and double in number when you next reveal that area.

The masacre that ensued was nasty. We lost every time. The whole game needed to be toned down a bit by way of difficulty.

15. Klonz Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Pool of Radiance !!!!

Worst game ever.

16. Sylvan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Sim City 3000. It just put me to sleep, I can't even think why I bought it in the first place. Maybe sleepwalking or something at the time :sleep:

17. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Neverwinter Nights.
    It might not be the worst game I ever bought and the store I bought it in had a rebate the first week so I got it ~$10 below normal price, but it sure was the biggest disappointment.

18. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Probably the game StarGate, or something like that. You had six health bars, but if you got hit, you lost three. If you fell a couple feet, you lost three. If you jumped, and landed on a spike, you exploded.

19. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Lords of Magic was one of the most terrible games I ever bought - right down there with POR2 and the entire FR Archive - total wastes of money all around.

But, I liked Diablo 2 - used it to kill many many hours of boredom. It is no Planescape:Torment, but it is still a decent game.

20. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

NWN- So much effort, so little resulting flair. Perhaps they should have tried to create an advanced BGII, with those graphics and some of the systems instead of creating a full foundation, Lets face it, a game which everyone expects to have a common touch to it to other games of the same genre must be exactly that. So what if its practically ripping something off, at least they are ripping off something good.

I don't care what anyone says, Last battle on the Mega Drive. :( :mommy: :cry:
    Designers: I know, lets make a game HUGELY based on 'Fist of the North Star'.
    Ok, what do we have to work on.
    Motorbikes, fighting, post apocolyptic land, single guy can take thousands of other guys out, has plenty of head explosions.

Sound cool? Ohhhh, no. A side scrolling beat'em up, stupid difficulty, and so much ripped from a cack manga anyway, it was doomed to fail from the start.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.