1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Worst purchase ever?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Apeman, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

[​IMG] Everyone has at a time of total stupidity bought a game they should never have bought.
    Which one?

mine is most surely settlers 3

that game sucked after one of the best games in its genre: settlers 2

[ October 03, 2002, 18:01: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Mine is most surely Ultima VIII.

That game sucked after one of the best game series in its genre: Ultima III - VII.

[ October 03, 2002, 18:03: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Diablo2.

Hmmm, BTA always points U8:pagan as the worst game, but it wasn't so bad to me.

4. Masher Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Of course, that all depends how much history you remember. I regret buying Go for Gold for the Sinclair Spectrum 48k, but that was a long time ago. I don't think I've made a bad purchase for PC (I don't have enough money to waste it), but I'm sure my brother regrets buying Theme Park Inc. (heh)

5. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Ultima 8 or Ultima 9.
    Somebody got a coin?

[Whoa! You purchased U9 after that stinker U8?! ;) - BTA]

[ October 03, 2002, 19:02: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

6. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Hmm which game sucks above all the other games?
    which game claimed to be a roleplaying game with 3rd edition rules?

Pool of Radiance !!!! :flaming:

7. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace.

Ugh.

8. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Seventh Legion. It's fairly obscure, but it was an RTS with a fairly odd gameplay feature. Instead of the resource management of C&C et al, at regular intervals players were given resource injections based on teh number of enemy units killed, along with "fate cards" which could be played, generally powering up a unit. It resulted in a very stop-start style of play, and some gimmicky rubbish with the fate cards. It also didn't help that the units, backgrounds et al all looked bland and similar

9. Ray192 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

definetly diablo 2.

10. Veralius Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Mine was Grandia II for the playstation: honestly, I must not have been thinking straight since that "game" sucked big time!

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Ultima IX. While Diablo 2 comes near, at least that was playable to the end. Which is more than I can say for the bug-ridden POS of Ascension.

12. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

No One Lives Forever
    It's not that I don't like the game, but after about 10 minutes I got so sick that I had to stop playing.
    I bought it at a commputer store for $50, and had to sell it on ebay for much less.

Some FPS games (Half Life and Medal of Honor) I can play fine, some (NOLF, Return to Wolfenstien) make me sick as soon as I start playing.

13. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I had to rummage through my old computer games to find this one, but it's called Dracula Unleashed. It was some terrible movie game I bought when movie games were first starting to come out on cd rom and were all the rage with some designers. The concept of movie games always sucked btw, and this was a shinning example. I seriously think it was unplayable, as I always no matter what died by the first night. Wretched waste of money. That and Daiblow 1 are the only games I've ever bought and hated.

I found ultima 8 fun, but again, it was one of my first pc games, and I didn't have any of the previous ultima games to compare it to. A point of reference I suppose is key.

14. [​IMG] Soul here. I don't know about you guys, but in my opinion, Diablo II rocked, and Grandia II was one of the best RPGs I've ever had the pleasure to play. For me, though, I'd have to say the worst purchase was Grand Theft Auto III. Don't get me wrong, the game is awesome, but the computer I had at the time wasn't powerful enough to run it! That's why it was the worst PURCHASE ever. I had to wait for four and a half months before I found a good deal on a more powerful computer, and every single day, I would have the box... and the instruction manual... and the CDs... and even the f***ing fold-out MAP of the city, for crying out loud, but the game wouldn't run! Torture.

[Why do you preface every post with "Soul here."? Do you think we can't look to the left of your post to see who is posting? - BTA]

[ October 04, 2002, 03:19: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

15. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Nutrimat, I must disagree. I really enjoyed NOLF.

On Topic: Fallout Tactics.

16. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Mechwarrior4 for me.

There have been no others that have even come close. Not Wing Commander Prophesy, Star Control 3, or even Daikatana.

I still have my Daikatana original on a spindle, somewhere. As do I the others too.

God, just thinking about Mechwarrior4 makes me want to kill something...

17. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

[​IMG] The worst game actually wasn't a purchase for me. I downloaded it off of aol. It was some caveman game were you walked back and forth across the screen picking plants to survive. You were suppose to be able to use a club to kill animals for food and when you met another caveman (or caveperson) you were suppose to be able to become friends and trade stuff. But everytime I met someone, they attacked and killed me. Hell, when I tried to kill a rabbit for food, it attacked me and killed me.
    I think I mentioned this one before, a game called Vikings with the voice of Michael Dorn (Worf from Star Trek).
    I also bought a game called S.P.Q.R. something based in Rome during Ceasars time. I bought it at the dolloar store, ha ha ha! Even though I only paid a buck, it still sucked.
    Should have used the dollar to call someone for 20 minutes! :D

18. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

I must say that i really enjoyed playing diablo 1 I thought it a great game (except battlenet though). Diablo 2 was not so good indeed.

Another really bad game in my collection has to be: darkstone

19. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Might & Magic VI. The only one of the series i have purchased, the only one i ever will. Argghh. Turned it off after about 10 minutes and it now acts as a really ugly book-end.

I was thinking, what would happen if i put a firework in the hole in the middle of the Might & Magic VI cd?? Hmm, maybe i'll give it a try this Nov5.

[ October 04, 2002, 10:39: Message edited by: The Intentioner of the Dammed ]

20. ettercap Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

titus the fox and the pc adaption of first samurai.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.