1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dungeon Siege

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Elios, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Anyone play this game?
    Has anyone had problems with the game? Like the game play is not smooth. The game freezes and then moves from time to time, but in short freezes. Even though my computer is well above the min requirments.
    Just wondering if its a bug or my computer.

2. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I played it for a few hours at my cousin's house. No problems at all, ran just fine. I must say, the game gets a little boring after a while though.

3. Elios Gems: 17/31

Yeah it did get a little boring after awhile. Especially when the game doesn't work right and you know nothing about computers to fix it.
    Kinda reminded me of the Diablo games. I like how you have a little more control with the NPCs who join your party in DS than you do in the Diablos.

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

So, you're saying there's a strong similarity between it and Diablo?

Man!

There's soooooooo many d&d games that I've not played, and that are just screaming to be played. And what I hate is, with the time I have, I have to just absolutely hammer through a game. Like Arcanum; I got side tracked for nearly two weeks just making things. I spent my 3 or 4 hours a week just making everything I could find reagents for.

I'm gonna mark Dungeon Siege down on my list of games to get. At this rate, half the games I want to play aren't carried by Amazon anymore... :)

5. Elios Gems: 17/31

Yeah, I'd say there are some strong similarities. To me it was more of a hack and slash game like Diablo.
    Don't get me wrong, I certainly would play it all the way through if it worked on my computer. Not having a it work right is really what makes it boring. THe problem is I know more about turning the computer on than changing settings to get a game to work. I'm probably just not setting something correctly to get the game to work.
    I think the game also has a great soundtrack to turn the speakers up for, especially with a subwoofer.
    YOu can stack items in your inventory, much like in Diablo as well.

6. Milliardo Peacecraft Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'm currently playing this game, and I really enjoy it. I am now in Chapter 6 or 7, I think. Have yet to see how it will end.

7. Ray192 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

bha, one of the most boring RPGs I've seen in years, yes, even more then diablo. The gaempaly is actually more similiar to BG in appearence, it's party based and pauseable, but then, it's even more repeative then diablo, as it rarely puts you in a position where you have to think hard about strategies as in BG2, most of the times you just sit back and watch, not doing anything, not to mention many damaging spells and ranged weapons takes so long to get to their targets that using them against smarter enemies(another thing that the game rarely has) is waste of time, so the only other thing is melee weapons, so all that is left is just blast all of them to hell with a meat brawl. The story is even more pathetic, I mean come on, how can a GOD DAMN FARMER DO ALL THAT IN A MATER OF LIKE 3 WEEKS?????? Then of course, there is hte extreme linearity, while console RPGs have a excuse for that(nice storylines), this one doesn't have any, add on to that a VERY short playtime, and it's even more of a garbage then it is, you may think that it's multiplayer has some hope, I'd too if it has a server like battle.net, but it doesn't, making it SOOOOOOOOO EASSYYYYYYYYYY to cheat, so you'll only be able to play against friends, which I doubt you'd have enough to make it worthwhile for a longer time.

8. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] What are the req'd specs to run this game well?

9. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

I think something pretty close to BG2.. So like a 500mhz p3, 128meg of ram, and a geforce2 mx.

10. ettercap Gems: 2/31

are u sure? i think these are rather the minimums. i play it on an amd tb 1000, 512 mb 133 mhz sd-ram, gf3 ti 500 and it still got it´s "freezing" moments, especially when there´s a lot of enemies around (worst part were the swamp witches and their fancy spellworks so far).

the overall performance is ok, when you run around and hammer into the usual 8-to-10-monster-no-magic-user-group it will do fine. but i got the hell of a lot lockdowns. maybe there´s a patch by now, i haven´t checked and played for weeks, since, like the others stated, it gets pretty boring at a time.

advantages:

- colorful graphics and animations of spells, especially in the beginning, i really liked the woods and the ice caverns. very nice scenery.

- pretty big single player world to explore

- nice music, though a bit repititive in a while.

- enemies fit very good in the respective scenery

disadvantages:

- battle system is boring. there are no real melee techniques you could use like in bg2 or diablo2, just "agressive", "defensive" and "normal". no weapon proficiencies.

- magic system sucks. i´m at chapter 5 now and my sc´s will still cast those tiny bombs, since they will do the most damage at that point. the rest of the spells either suck or will be available in 10lvls+. either way, it didn´t seem that the magic system was very good balanced by the programmers, e.g. most of the conjuring spells you will get are way out of date at that point and so of no real use (and i usually make a good use of these conjurer tactis :( only 2 schools available, nature (clerics) and combat magic (magicians).

- animation of monsters look very repititive (walk, waving weapon, walk...) and thus make no life like effect. some "villages" or camps should´ve been added, where everybody sits and suddenly springs to the attack at your sight would´ve created a much more "real" experience.

- ai of monsters is poor. everybody charges, regardless of the opportunities that the terrain or the combination of different weapons might provide. in some places the mutual placement of long and short range or conjuring monsters by the programmers gives you a hard time (swamps or that one spot with the beltdrive in the goblin fortres), but in most places you can either outsmart them with the old bait tactic or by just rushing in an smashing them to pieces. and its the same as stated before, some guerilla/drawback/team-tactics of the enemies would´ve spiced it up a lot.

- pretty big world to explore and it´s just running around, there´s no teleporters (until now at least), no other vehicles or means of transportation (flying carpet, balloon or ship come to my mind) and even the huge size of the playground can´t keep it from being horribly linear. no leaving the path, no optional ways to go, no exploring. feels a little bit like a huge rebel assault at that point.

- very simple character generation and advancement. you basically concentrate on strength for your fighters, dexterity for the archers and intelligence for the mu´s. oh well, hello stereotypes... there are no proficiencies or combination of classes, no fancy abilities or attributes or races or classes. glad they´d put a dwarf in, but that´s ´bout it. ah, and no thievery, all boxes are unlocked, the traps can´t be disarmed, only shot from the distance, but if i saw right, your archer will be injured anyway (could be wrong about that). this is really sad, since the character management is one of the most motivating part about a role playing game for me.

- storyline is standard. you get thrown in right from the start, but there are no optional or side quests. some logic bugs (some magician asks you in chapter 3 to return his staff, which you will find 2 chapters and a major world travel later, did anyone ever go back to bring it to him?).

so, i´d definitely recommend it for a newbie. i must say i was pretty catched and amazed by the graphics and the fancy effects in the beginning, which sucked me very fast and deep into their world. but as often, the shiny armor scratches fast and so does the game. if you´ve played more than 2 serious rpg´s in your life and one of them happened to be wizardry, you´ll be bothered by this game in less than 3 hours.

[ September 26, 2002, 10:28: Message edited by: ettercap ]

11. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Will this work:

700 mHz Celeron
    64 MB Geforce2 MX Graphics Card
    128 MB PC133 RAM

12. ToTaL Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I have Duron 700, and rest is like yours Slim, and the game runs nice, but sometimes it slows but that is just momentary.

13. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Yeah, that celery will work just fine.

RPG games are always hardest on the cpu, so there's not a lot of point in turning down the gfx settings.

You might get a performance boost by chopping down on the number of "AI" updates, but I dunno how Dungeon Siege's setup works. I've yet to play the game.

14. ettercap Gems: 2/31

if you chop down ai on dungeon siege, every monster will just walk into walls probably ;) and if i recall it correct, you can´s set that there.

ah, and what about turning down some efx/details? should do the trick in the most obvious way, hum? ;)

[ September 25, 2002, 17:04: Message edited by: ettercap ]

15. TheNovak Gems: 5/31

How about you don't play it at all, return it to the store, and get a game that *doesn't* suck? :grr:

I played that damned thing for more than 20 hours, before it finally hit me how freaking pointless it all was. There's literally no plot: you're a freaking mailman for the king, butchering thousands of increasingly tougher monsters just to tell him he's under attack...which he's probably already figured out. Not only that, but the NPCs suck. There aren't any Jans or Minscs, or even Aeries. None of the hirelings have any personality to speak of, and you'll just drop them anyway when you find a better character of the same class. I couldn't believe my eyes when, after rescuing an uberpowerful archmage I rescued from the ice caves, I came across a small hermit shack in the swamp that hosted some nameless apprentice who was almost twice as powerful as the archmagi. Rrrrgh.

Rant over. Return the game. You'll thank me later :grr:

16. Milliardo Peacecraft Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] Actually, it plays more like the old RPGs. If anyone remembers such old classics like Eye of The Beholder II, people who got used to Baldur's Gate might find it boring: basically, the whole thing is nearly the same as Dungeon Siege in that you hack, slahs, fireball, heal, and do it all over again. Party interaction in old RPGs was almost non-existent, if ever there was one in the first place. Sometimes I think people have become too used to such games as Final Fantasy and Baldur's Gate, and expect RPGs to contain such things as in-party banterings and interactions. But for those of us who have played early RPGs, such luxuries weren't present, so we're really quite more forgiving on such RPGs than those who were weaned on the above-mentioned RPGs.

17. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

" butchering thousands of increasingly tougher monsters just to tell him he's under attack"

Dude!!!!!

That was totally the plot of Icewind Dale. Heck, it's even moreso the plot of Icewind Dale 2! Icewind Dale 1 had entirely too much plot compared to IwD2.

I am totally playing this game after i finish IwD2 and Arcanum. I guess if I go down to the liquor warehouse this weekend, I might even load up NwN and give that another go.

18. TheNovak Gems: 5/31

Don't say I didn't warn ya.

Eh, to each his own. I thought the game was complete, utter, and total crap, a complete waste of $50, and probably the worst thing I've had on my hard drive, including three viruses and Pool of Radiance II, since my dad bought Deer Hunter. But, hell, if you think you'll enjoy a game that's completely about hack-and-slash and eye candy, by all means buy it.

One last thing...never played IWD1, but IWD2 has one definite advantage over Dungeon Siege: it's third edition. The 3E rules are so much better than Dungeon Siege's crappy level-up system, it's not even funny. Another reason to hate that game :p

[ September 26, 2002, 07:57: Message edited by: TheNovak ]

19. ettercap Gems: 2/31

@milliardo

i really can see your point but then i have to ask where is the sense in releasing a game which will not fulfill already set standards like party interaction and descent level advancement or character management. or balanced and/or interesting spellcasting system. and even in the first bard´s tale or wizardry releases you could determine if your fighters should bash, slash, dodge, melee or guard.

so apart from the catchy graphics there´s nearly nothing and some of the old computer games might have had their problems for sure, but not even beholder had such a low set and boring magic school or character system.

ah, and there were riddles in the old rpg´s - something i did not stumble in so far in ds - and not to mention, there was freedom. i could decide where to go next and what to do now. so maybe it was just for a walk in the next forest and gaining a few levels, before i would start to explore a little bit more into the depths of the world. something i really miss a lot in dungeons siege, like i said, it´s like a good-looking rebel assault for rpgs.

did i moan about the ai already? ah, well, just read my other post ;)

[ September 26, 2002, 10:29: Message edited by: ettercap ]

20. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Just to make one thing clear:

There is no catchy graphics in this game! It's just really bad 3D (with crappy textures) like everything else released lately.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.