1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Arcanum

Discussion in 'Playground' started by ejsmith, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Ray192 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

the problem with firearms was that they just took too much action points to use, there are faster ones, but they either are extremely weak, or just spend bullets like crazy(one spent 6 bullets per shot).

2. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yeah, there's no good minigun in the game.

Where you just call in the C-130, and tell them "I'd like that entire site hosed down, please. No; I don't care if it's moving, just shoot it anyways for good measure. Yes; I understand the place will be unwalkable from all the trees that get shot down, and houses that are now gazebo, but we'll just drop in a load of napalm and clear up that problem when it occurs. Thanks."

3. alighter Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] The disintegrate spell in Arcanum is the most messed up part of the game IMHO, I just pretend it doesn't exist when I play the game. :o

4. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] I just bought Arcanum for a fiver!!! :spin: :lol: :rolling: :square: :) :D
    :shake: :p

5. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Isn't 5 pounds like 7 dollars?

That's good to go!

Now, all you have to do is start playing the game.
    The only advice I can give you:

DON'T GET HOOKED ON MAKING STUFF!

6. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I picked Arcanum up for a fiver too. The only problem is that on my just-above-min-spec. PC it only runs smoothly when my character is the only one on the screen. Meaning I can't get into Tarant. Meaning I might as well be playing the demo. *sigh* Still, I've not seen it in the shops for a long time, and might be gone by the time I finally get my PC upgraded - so I'm hanging onto it.

7. r'Hant Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

@ Ironbeard:

I experienced about the same problems as you. My solution (since I enjoyed very much the beginning and wanted to play some more) was to play in turn-based mode when I entered large areas (i.e. Tarant - the largest, if I remember right). It is your choice - the game might lose some of its charm... :(

8. TheNovak Gems: 5/31

Ugh...Tarant on a near-min-spec computer, bad. Until I upgraded this thing, I had to set Arcanum aside. I could tell the game was going to be great, and it was once I got a better PC, but only being able to venture through Tarant at night got old quick.

9. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Yeah, min specs are *NOT* min specs for this game.

It's hardest on the cpu, so a 1ghz processor will do you a whole lot of good in most places. Especially the dwarf caves, and Tarant.<Plus, all the background noises really chew on the cycles too.

It's a good game, but you've got to double that "min spec" processor before you can even begin to enjoy it. Choppy is one thing, unplayable is another.

10. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

Hah hah, just started it and have been playing for about an hour and a half. I can tell you this games just about beats Torment and BG2... I'm playing on the Magick side and it is deffinatley beefy as I havn't encountered a single enemy that has posed even the slightest threat. Magick is deffinatley alot better than techno as you can just cast a ton of spells at once! My character is at level 5 already and I havn't even been to shrouded hills yet! :shake:
    I love this game! :D

I just did everything possible before going to shrouded hills. Beat every enemy and done that quest for the holy artifact. Going to watch The Simpsons and then it's straight back into the wonderful land of Arcanum! :rolling:

I SERIOUSLY reccommend this game to just about any RPG gamer who dosn't mind a very posh RPG. :)
    Your CRPG collection isn't complete without this game... go buy it you fools!!! :lol: ;)

[ October 16, 2002, 18:51: Message edited by: Z-Layrex ]

11. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Just a little FYI, Z.

The end of the game has a "movie" like the Fallout series. Where you are shown what happens to everyone that you interacted with.

So, the most quests you solve, the "better" (i.e. longer) the ending will be.

Think upon that...

12. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

Don't worry, I try to explore everywhere in RPGs.

13. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Huh? How come I never got one then? I thought I finished almost everything... Bah, I'll just have to replay it. ;)

14. Saerdna Ranadta Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Arcanum is good and the only thing I dislike from this game is my party members always rush into the battle field and get themselves killed.
    And have you meet that old elven mage?...errrh what is his name...I forgot.
    He is the father of Arronax...oh yeah I remember..Nasrudin.
    When he telling why he banished Arronax...the MV was very cool.I think it is the best part of the game.

15. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Kel Auryn, that was a spoiler. People who haven't played the game yet generally don't like being told what's going to happen, especially when it's something as vital as this. So, in order to avoid ruining some people's fun, I suggest you edit that post immediately.

16. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

Too late. :flaming:

17. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Z-Layre:

You still have to find him. Trust me; it's not like he just shorted your gameplay time by 5 hours or anything. For Arcanum, you need a clipboard, about 100 sheets of blank typing paper, and a mechanical pencil that has like 5 sticks of lead in it. There a couple of times where you just might need a calculator. =)

Take notes. The storyline of Arcanum is a little twisty.

18. Ray192 Gems: 5/31

"You still have to find him. Trust me; it's not like he just shorted your gameplay time by 5 hours or anything."

I'd wish he had..... that part that you had to go through to get to nasrudin is the one of the most annoying part in the game.... those apes were weak and didn't give any experience, the place itself was a super maze, and the treasures worthed squat....

19. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Yeah, but actually getting Nasrudin on the *map* is the tough part. Those Mickey Mouse instructions to the Tomb, and then you have to pickup on the clue that was etched into the "other" guy's tomb, would have locked me up at the stage.

For the record, I would like to note that I was unable to finish Zork 1 and Zork 2 without using a walkthrough. I've blanked Zork3 out of my memory, and Zork Zero was nearly another genere.

20. r'Hant Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Ookay...enough already with the spoilers...poor Z-, he might wish to enjoy this game...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.