1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mame

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Riddley Walker, May 5, 2002.

1. Riddley Walker Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Does anyone play those old arcade games using MAME?
    http://www.mame.net/

Those games are reproduced exactly it brings back childhood memories of going to the arcade and being mugged by teenagers for my 20 cent coins... ah those were the days when a young boy could walk the street with his hopes held high. Its all gone downhill from there... but I digress........

My favourite is Rygar if only for the music. daa daa da-da-da..... or somthing like that.

But i've got to get a proper joystick otherswise its too hard,. try playing Street Fighter II with the keyboard... Dhalsim kicks my ass every time!

I had a plan once to buy one of those old cocktail table arcade games, rip the guts out of it, and put in a PC with MAME running so I could play any game I want and be the life of teh party!

(oh goody my username change worked!)

2. total Guest

[​IMG] I played some games with MAME, my fav. was Toki, but im still searching for two games: one is an arcade (normally ;) ) with a ninja that had a dog as his helper (i cant remember the name so i cant find it :( ) as i remember the firs stage was on airport and the BOSS was in the airplane, looked like some big bug?, and the second (or third) was a train?, you could kill them only by shooting to ceirtain blob that was on it's head, and you could get limited ammo of fire shouriken's, help me to find it, please. Tell me the name if you know it! And the other game was something like Vietnam war, you had one soldier on the botom of the screen and you moved cross over screen to shoot enemys, you could make a "star" to avoid bullets ("star"-throw yourself to the ground sideways and stand up). Last enemy was some guy with a big robot (as always) that had laser, anybody remembers it? And third is similar to the second except that you are on the wild west. So, do you remember them? I would like to see them once again!

Thank you!

3. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Help!
    I downloaded the MAME emulator and i have no idea how to make it work. Pleases help:help:

4. Riddley Walker Gems: 8/31

5. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I toyed with MAME a while back, but the games in emulates were before my time, and I could not get it to work stably, so I dropped it. :(

6. Fergus Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Mame is brilliant.
    I originally downloaded MAME a few years back and have always had an up to date copy ever since.
    Make sure your downloading the windows MAME (it will install all the correct directories) and put the rom sets (zip files) in the roms directory. For some games you need a neogeo rom set in the roms directory.
    Shame mame.dk lost thier rom sets.

7. total Guest

Yesss. that is it, but what happend to mame.dk, why cant i download .zip file???:confused:

8. yappie! Guest

Could i just ask...what is Mame?

9. total Guest

Mame is "emulator" program that enables you to play games that rocked in 80-thies, similar to C64 emulator, but for different comp. Games for Mame are 0.5 to several Mb and have relatively good graphics. Good example of those games is Golden Axe that was converted to PC also. There are other good emulators like Callus.

10. Fergus Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] You can download roms (zip files) from other sites like www.roms.co.za .
    Just do a search for mame roms as there are loads of sites.
    MAME.DK lost it's roms as it was so public (got mentions in UK magazines that some of the software companies checked the contents and forced legal action against them (copyright). They removed all thier roms which is a big shame. They had just got Marvel vs Capcom and was one of the first sites to post the rom. Check out the site for full info.

Heh the webs a big place someone else has all the roms for download.

11. Thorin Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Actually i am downloading mame right now, can never have too much retro. :)

12. Riddley Walker Gems: 8/31

[​IMG] I am having trouble connecting to mame.net I get errors "The requested URL could not be retrieved" and "Zero Sized Reply". Is anyone else getting this?

On another topic... does anyone remember an RPG arcade game... it was 2D and you had several dungeons to travel through, at the end of a level there was a shop where you could buy weapons and stuff. AFAIK the arcade version could have 4 players in a party. I just can't remember the name of it? (it wasn't Golden Axe)

13. Thorin Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I had the same problem from mame.net so i downloaded all my stuff from classicgaming.com

14. total Guest

i finally found that shadow dancer and i have small problem with it, i dont see myself or the enemies in the game (i can see the background) i am using mame .60 and i have tried with mame .58 (or .56) do you have any ideas (i have the us version)

thanks

ps sorry bout small caps, but i broke my arm so cant hold shift (damn it hurts)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.