1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dungeon Siege AKA "goodbye NWN"

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Extremist, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Guys, guys!!!

I don't want to know how it is fun, I know it is.

I want to die peacefully with knowledge that DS is NWN killer. Can you provide me that info?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. NWN will have henchmen that will follow you and do as you say, but are not directly controllable; sounds like Arcanum to me...

3. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

[​IMG] Sorry Extermist, but I can't see DS being a NWN Killer. Maybe a Diablo Killer, but that's not saying much.

What do you have against NWN anyways? Looks like a kickass game to me.

4. Dungeon Siege is basically a better Diablo. I played it, and hated it.

5. total Guest

Ok, after all this i gived it another chance and played it a while :) . Yes the game gets better after some time and the story slowly reveals some clues about what is going on. But if Extremist wants that we say that DS is NWN killer, we will have to se NWN first and see its side of story. For now i stick to my opinion and will not compare them. As for D&D rules, i didnt say that it is bad that game doesnt have them, i actually said that i liked the system in that game (using - gaining) at first, but it is too slow and you often have too little points to use some great bow you just get, and you probably wont get them soon. But i admit, when you get several party members it gets fun and you cen use certain "tactics"! But you could call it using AI stupidity, but hey it is still some tactic.

6. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Well, my two cents:

NWN will definitely be a hit. The D&D fan base world wide is huge and very loyal (almost fanatic). When Pool of Radiance came out, the disappointment was magnified due to the fact that it had a ready fan base which anticipated a great D&D-like which they didn't really get.

Personally, I'd get NWN simply because its D&D. I know you don't really like D&D Extremist, (except Planescape) but what can I say, I've been into it since I was 12. :)

7. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I've only reviewed some of the posts here but I decieded it's been a long time since I've added my own two cent's to the overall thinking here at SP. I've played the near 200mb dl of Dungeon Siege and came to some conclusions.

Let the graphics issue remain as a 'side bar' issue until I (we?) truly get to know the feel and playability of the graphics that NWN can offer.

There are several very nice things about DS. I will buy it. First I have always (I mean that) have had a problem with Weapon Proficiency and how it increases in BG/D&D CRPG's. Dungeon Siege has addressed this somewhat realistically, the more you use a weapon or skill or physical/mental trait... the better you are with it. The ol' 'practice makes perfect'.

Second the Pack Mule rocks! In any fantasy book or movie you find beasts of burden in all kinds of scenario's assisting with the success of the 'quest' or 'cause'. They have been missing in BG/D&D CRPG's but in Dungeon Siege (DS) this has finally been addressed.

Thirdly I found the 'seemless' world unbelievable. No loading from screen to screen. Yep, just that little detail is a major point with me. It grows wearisome to see the 'Clearing Map' and the 'Loading Map' dozens of times while in just one City. That exhausted me back in Baldur's Gate. I have to commend Microsoft on this feature. Well done. NWN? dunno what that will truly be like.

Lastly, the monster AI seems to be a bit more impressive than the BG/TOSC/IWD/HOW/TOB games. NWN? dunno as of yet. In DS the 'feel' of the intelligence of the creatures was a delight for this RPG'er.

Draco Vlasavius

8. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

But after two hours of DS you're just so tired of "click and kill".

9. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

True enough Mollusken, and by no means was I heralding Dungeon Siege as the ultimate of ultimate CRPG's.

I actually believe with the fullest conviction that any CRPG that isn't based on AD&D is a far distant 2nd. And Dungeon Siege wouldn't be that 2nd place CRPG anyhow. I did however want to point out in my earlier post some very 'refreshing' and 'impressive' changes that are found in DS. Those changes alone will compel me to support this game by purchasing it.

I will check out NWN just due to being addicted to AD&D and CRPG's based upon AD&D like near everyone else that posts here. But I would be very impressed with NWN if some of those 'refreshing, impressive' changes found in DS were to be implemented in their retail product coming to a store near us....??? Whenever?

10. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] I've played the demo for DS and it was fun but I must agree with this point:
    Well, maybe not far distant, but I hate games where weapons at the end of the game do insane amounts of damage compared to weapons at the beginning. It pisses me off when you start out with at weapon that does 1-5 damage and end with one that does 750-1000 damage. The D&D rules system (well, for weapons at least) makes sense. While enchantments do help, you should be able to kill monsters with just ordinary weapons (unless of course, they are protected against these). I'd like my fighter to be able to kill a non-magical monster with a regular sword and not have to have a Flourishing Starburst Sword of Emphasis. If I wanted that I'd play Final Fantasy. :nolike: Or so it seems, Dungeon Siege.

[This message has been edited by Gunthar (edited May 14, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.