1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gothic! The Best RPG I have ever played

Discussion in 'Playground' started by ZappasGhost, Mar 30, 2001.

1. ZappasGhost Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi there ,

Wow guys iam deep impressed since i have played the german RPG Gothic.

Damn!!! Thats the best RoleplayingGame
    since Ultima Underworld and Ultima7!!

I know that most guys out of Germany haven't
    heard someting about this Pearl , but i tell
    u have a look at it!!!

Shortly:
    It is like R.Garriot spoke about Ultima9 ;)
    It has all that what Garriot promised , but what we never saw in U9.

wishuonlythebest
    Zappa
    Berlin

2. Igneous Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Hya Zappa,

Enlighten me with more details, like, is there a non-german (right you quessed it, English) version and what exactly is so great? All I get out of this, is that it is like a RPG and something like ultima....
    just curious

Always hated german in school, so I don't want to get bothered by it anymore. And I'm always interested in great RPG's, and more with me (I think and hope), so don't let the silence on this topic scare you out of more news sharing ;)

3. Wassup Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] hey, give us some links, or something.

4. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] Is it a swords & sorcery fantasy RPG, or modern dark-fantasy, like the CHILL P&P game?

5. ZappasGhost Gems: 1/31

Hi guys ,

Here are some Infos for you.

What do u think what are the three most important aspects inside a OfflineRPG!

Here my granting opinion ;)

1.Story ,Dialogs

2.Charactersystem , Interaction , and virtual environment !

3.Quality of Graphics

-------------------------------------------
    Gothic achieves maximum valuation in these three Points.

1.Story is really deep,imaginatively and convincingly !
    Surprises , Betrayal, a large War and all what RPG Players like!!
    There are also Intelligent dialogs and,and and............

Ok here is all what u want about the Story
    (english) http://www.piranhabytes.de/html_english/products/gothic/html/_gothicframe.htm

Skillsystem always is comprehensibly .
    If you improve your Characters skills , it is visible at the character.
    New and better moves and stuff like this.
    Interaction and virtual environment is simple
    the best!
    Everything is in motion , animals have an independent existence, Sleep , eat,fight
    and and and...
    Most NPC's has a routine of the day ,
    doing a job, conversation among themselves,
    cooking,sleeping and and and....

3.Wonderfull landscape , have a look to screenshots

http://www.piranhabytes.de/html_english/products/gothic/html/_gothicframe.htm

Hope i could make u curiously ;) , cause is
    a very very impressive RPG!!
    Hope u did understand my english ,
    unfortunately in Germany we rarely speak english :)

wishuonlythebest
    ZappasGhost
    Berlin Germany

6. Igneous Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Thanks m8, this is exactly what I (we) wanted to know. And your English is much better then mine ;)

7. Igor Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

hey just a question is the download worth it and one more thing can i buy this game in any store in Germany. Thanks

8. ZappasGhost Gems: 1/31

Hi Mr.Igor ,

You can buy the german version in almost each Computergames business ! The English version of Gothic is nearly done.

Greetings
    ZappasGhost

9. Silroth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Yep, Gothic is highly addictive!
    Made me pause all other gaming activity.
    But beware, you need a really highgrade system (including player ;) ) for it to run.
    For those intending to buy, it's more like Lara Croft with spell casting than Baldurs Gate. Most quests you do alone, you only get help for a couple of extreme fights.

10. stargazer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I got the demo and I must say that I was impressed but not exactly hooked, if you get what I mean. Anyway, I may give it another look when the English version comes out.

Btw, does the 'Zappa' part in your name has to do anything with Frank Zappa? Wild guess and probably 99% mistaken but I had to ask.

11. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Please correct my if I'm wrong, but is this game out in English yet? It sounds like it's only in German. Does anyone know when the game will be out in English, if it's not yet. Thanks.

12. Silroth Gems: 7/31

13. Silroth Gems: 7/31

As for ZappasGost's comments:
    I argree on the great graphics and story.
    I like it, that you can end fights without killing persons (mostly at least).
    Monster-ai is fantastic compared to BGII (most enemies will attack in groups; skelettons dance around you and attack from all sides; wolfes will put one animal on display with the others attacking from hiding; orcs will chase you through half the colonie before giving up, and the mercenairies show no mercy with their x-bows when you dare attack one of them).

But there is too little flexibility on what you learn. You have only few categories (1-handed weappons, 2-handed weapons, bows, x-bows and magic). 2-handers and x-bows are not available until very late in the game.
    So there is not too much initiative to play a second time (very different from BG).

14. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Uhm, today I have installed Gothinc, germanversion. Graphics are nice, game idea ... as far as I've seen is nice. However, I've not been able to play it since I lack a mouse and the friggin game doesn't support my splendid logitech trackball :mad:

15. Xaelifer Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] This game is the DUMBEST waste of time I have ever spent. I bought in the hope that it was a good Morrowind copy (which it was, just without the "good").

Here are my scores in a mock-review:

Two stars -

Good points:
    One star is for graphics, the other star is for effort.

Bad points:
    The other three stars are for general gameplay, voice acting, and Time Spent While There Is Morrowind.

And another thing - here's my $50, where's my manual? I expected something with more than ten pages, thank you very much, and frankly, everything else wasn't good enough either. What Gothic has in plot-depth it lacks in every other aspect of the game besides graphics. This game sucks. It will take you ten minutes to master the whole control-shift-click-move-forward-click-control-shift gig to open a chest before you can even begin to LOOK at the graphics. Don't waste your time unless you have something personal against Bethesda softworks and want to disgrace a good RPG.

16. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] How can Gothic be a Morrowind copy when the first was about half a year earlier on the market than the latter??! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!! That's it: ESPIONAGE! :D:D:D

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited May 15, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.