1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

FR Online

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Paddy, Oct 27, 2001.

1. Paddy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] this is my first post so there might already be somethin like this in the forum but why dont black isle make a permanent online world for the forgotten realms like a everquest and ultima online kinda thing.id certainly play it

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Please go read the Forum Rules/FAQ like you were asked before you registered. This should have been posted in Whatnots. Moving.

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I certainly wouldn't play it.

Why? Because Black Isle has too simplifistic game saves - easy to break and edit. And that results in CHEATING. I don't like to play with overriden rules of the game. So I never play online.
    You don't understand me? Try to break saved games from Sierra's "Return to Krondor". It is coded and that game can't be cheated in that manner. Too bad that game doesn't cover online playing.

All in all, when Black Isle makes online sequence that forbids cheating online - count me in. When will that happen? How things stand today - that will happen NEVER.

4. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Extremist: Wouldn't it be as simple as storing the characters online? All the MMORPGs seem to do that, so there's no reason Black Isle wouldn't be able to...

5. Deano99 Gems: 9/31

i doubt you could ever make the infinity engine have this sort of capability, and as Extremist says, it is rediculously easy to fiddle with the files from the game, thus getting cheaters all over the place. It happens on GSA already, so i doubt it would be any better doing it that way.

i hate online gaming because of all the damned cheaters that are around, it's damned rediculous!

6. Paddy Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] but they could use the NWN engineor is that the same?

7. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] no, there will be dungeon masters around, prolly banning the people that cheat from the servers...

8. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Anyway, cheaters can be avoided. It just takes recognition of patterns and a little extra effort.

9. Dark Xan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

capstones right just try your best to avoid them

by the way, welcome

10. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] You could go for the Diablo 2 closed Battle net system, where you don't have access to your own saves because they are on the server. Editing them would be difficult.

11. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Yeah, the closed realms system gets rid of much of the direct cheating. There are still ways of abusing the client/server interaction but its more limited and difficult. Of course, the price you pay is the server security related lag issues and some game play issues that arise from "cheat fixes". Still, Blizzard did a fairly decent job of controlling cheating, especially considering how many players seem to want to cheat. :(

Aloha
    Vormaerin

12. Paddy Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Thanks for the welcome but this is kinda turnin away fro the original topic:would you play a forgotten realms persistent world a la ever quest or UO if there wos an effective player storage system?

13. Inappropriate Synonym Banned

hell yah (pardon any offenses made to over-offensive people) id play it and ask around and look around til i found some place to cheat and then help advertise those cheats to hep bring down the entire thing so its crowded with cheaters (sorry im a baaaad person)

14. Azardu Gems: 9/31

If it gave me a chance to run right at Elminster, weapon in hand, screaming "Have at thee!", then sure, I'd play it. :D

15. Vandalore Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'd give it an online blask isle game server a chance if it wasn't a pay service. freakin everquest anyways ;)

16. Paddy Gems: 1/31

personally id go lookin for minsc and that guy from BG1 kivan,i wonder wot happened to him?

17. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Kivan now lives under my bed, second door on the right.

Personally I think only hack & slash RPGs like Diablo, RTS games and 1st person action games are worth playing on the internet. Storylines like those in Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale binds you, and if you start, you will have to complete the whole game together with the same person you started out with. For the next great online game communities, wait for Blizzard's Warcraft 3 and World of Warcraft.

18. Paddy Gems: 1/31

no i meant a game based in the forgotten realms,not about the BG story! you could go anywhere and do anything(including burying elminster:D)and wots with the new title?whats wrong wiv"idea"eh?EH???

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.