1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Killing the Guardian

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by davfra, Jan 10, 2003.

1. davfra Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I`m at chapter 5 and I can`t kill that ruddy guardian-dragon.
    None of my magic has any effect. I`ve managed to hurt it, but by then my characters are all in a bad way and I have no healing methods left.
    I`ve decided to resort to cheating. If I can get some healing potions I should be ok.
    Can anyone tell me where I can find of list of items that I can use to import some? (A full list would be useful)
    I`ve got Dalekeeper but haven`t figured out how to import more than one item at a time.
    cheers,
    davfra

[ January 10, 2003, 11:43: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Do a search on the board here to find some strategies. Some of them could be helpful.

You could also as a last resort turn the difficulty level down to easiest...

3. Necrophex Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

An itemlist is availeble on SP.

And for the strategies, you can disintegrate him. If you have no sorcerer/wizard that can do it, there are some strategies on the boards. Maybe you can use Otikules Resisent Sphere and use ranged attacks and spells.

Good luck

4. Dolphin Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

dientegrade the Guardian? interesting...

5. Necrophex Gems: 5/31

Yeah I know it sounds a bit easy, but it works. Just cast all your defensive spells on your main fighter, then let him fight the dragon. Now cast lower resistance on the dragon from a distance and try to disintegrate him. Eventually it will work.

6. Laocorn Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Disintegrate works. But use "Lower Resistance" first. I used two Disintegrate's before hand and it wasn't killing him.

Also, Remove Fear on your party before summoning the dragon, else everyone in your party wets their pants and runs around screaming like little girls. In case you're wondering, in a recent survey, 71% of adult males agreed this was NOT the best way to defeat a dragon. 20% said that with enough guile, it could indeed be a very effective tactic. No one in that 20% group has beaten the Guardian yet.

7. Necrophex Gems: 5/31

What other way would you suggest then?
    I think this is the best tactic and I DID beat the dragon with around 2 reloads.

8. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Maybe I got lucky then?

Just circled the party out (Fighter Pally, Druid, Bard, Thief/mage and Sorcerer). F****d up royally by casting insect plague in such confinements, so after that spells became a problem.... Just used to being able to blind enemies like in BG2 I suppose.

Had to cut the bastard to bits. A couple of chain lightnings got through, but that was really all the offencive spells. Oh yeah and a horrid wilting which did more damage to my fighters than the dragon.

Bard songs with lingering song feat helps though, as you can strum a few cords of each and have some good protections stacked, including fear / removes fear.

Party level: 12-13. No reloads required. I was in fact a bit disappointed to be honest after all I'd read about him. He did make the massive blunder of changing target every now and then though which helped a lot when it came to last ditch healing....

9. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well if you have a paladin, just keep everyone within his aura of courage.

10. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I killed him with this one:

Anakha the Almighty - Aasimar - LG
    Paladin of Helm 8/Fighter 4
    STR 14+8 DEX 12 CON 18 INT 3 WIS 13 CHA 23+5
    Long Sword +4, weapon spec., two rings of acid resistance
    Powered by Champ's Str, Eagle's Splendor, Remove Fear, Emotion:Hope, Prayer, Recitation, Bless, Aid, Prot. from Acid, Stoneskin, Blink (shifter's boots) etc. There may be something I forgot but these were the most important spells. Oh, I also cast two Heals. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.