1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

help me get my protections straight...

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by spoogemonkey, May 28, 2003.

1. spoogemonkey Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Will Prot Undead protect from Vampire gazes? spells? level drain?

Prot from Neg Plane - only covers touch drain? but couldn't the "gaze" get you? and does the raw damage get you as well?

Spell Immunity for Vampires is still Abj? or is that just Liches? (or Lichen?!?)

And what does Prot Evil do for you? a "catch all"?

When do I use this "Protection from Squid" scroll?

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Protection from Undead prevents undead from performing any actions, even though that's not what the description said. I've never used one, but that's what I've read.

Protection from Negative Energy only prevents level drain. Their gaze is considered a 'charm' spell.

IIRC, protection from evil gives you +1 to all saving throws and AC vs. evil, plus it's supposed to keep your summoned beasties from turning on you.

The Protection from Squid scroll is actually to be used only in the Chinese Buffet in Trademeet, not in the Sahuagin City as previously thought.

3. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Hmm...I used the Protection from Squid scroll during my visit to the brothel in Brynnlaw. Unfortunatly, it didn't work.

*resumes veracious scrubbing*

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Protection from squid scroll? Is this some kind of inside joke?

5. Ameorn Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Yeah, what's the protection from squid scroll??? never heard of it, got to be a joke :confused:

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Fellahs...ask yourselves...is there a Chinese Buffet in Trademeet? :shake:

7. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Death Rabbit, I have extensive knowledge of the Protection from Undead scroll -- it prevents them from inflicting any physical damage on you, but it does not stop them from either draining levels or charming you.

Protection from Squid indeed! You guys are all sick, sick, sick. :D

VD would add an entirely new dimension to the game. Given her history and habits, I'd bet Viconia has horrible diseases -- reminds me of the Monty Python "Venereal love song"

8. spoogemonkey Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] I just KNEW someone would bite....

Thanks for a good laugh fellas...

You know.... you CAN take stuff a bit too seriously... I'm glad to see a better attitude... :D

9. Drumheller Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Even with Protection from Undead, Undead CAN still attack you. I think this occurs when you trigger something that releases them. My inquisitor was 'protected' when wandering around the Temple Ruins but when I took the gem (keeps Shadow Dragon from attacking you) some shadows spawned and attacked.

10. archinos Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Keldin, I am curious about the "venereal love song". I own copies of more than half the Flying Circus and three of the movies, and I don't remember it anywhere. It sound quite hilarious and I would love to see it if you know specifically where it came from.

Just to keep on topic, I can affirm that pro. from undead only stops physical damage. The only reason I can think of that might make it seem like they will not preform any action on you is that some of the AI scripts (especially newer ones in TOB) sometimes recognize if you are immune to certain types of damage, and move on to attack someone else.

11. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Archinos, the song in question comes from the Python "Contractual Obligation Ablum" (IIRC) and features John Cleese singing an ode to the girl with whom he traded various diseases -- the line that kills me is "I guess we both were lying, when we said that we were clear!"

Back to protections, who ever uses things like protection from acid? You can often see tire coming, but when can you foresee acid or cold damage in enough time to use it? I mean, if you've played through several times, that's one thing, but if you have no clue what's behind the door, who's going to take the buffing time to use that scroll when there are tons of better buffs?

12. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I thought protection from evil gave you +2 saving throws and attack rolls, not just one.
    And that prot. from evil meant that undead could not see/attack you (sort of like santurary, but you can attack with it). someone said that when fighting Kangaxx they used it and Kangy was unable to initiate dialogue to turn into the demilich form or something :confused:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.