1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Party Numbers?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Sylvan, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Sylvan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] What do you consider as the best number of characters in a party :hmm:
    IMO I would have to say no more than four to get the faster level ups :thumb:
    On the other hand there are so many new things in the 3E rules that it would be a shame not to explore them :bang:

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 23 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Party Numbers? (23 votes.)

How many characters make up your party? (Choose 1)
    * Two - 0% (0)
    * Three - 0% (0)
    * Four - 30% (7)
    * Five - 17% (4)
    * Six - 52% (12)

2. vf6alpha Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

5 is a good number imo. I always run with a pure fighter, a cleric, another multiclass that can heal or use resurrection scrolls (usually bard or rogue as the other class,) a mage, and another spellsword character that I can tinker with. That way you can put most of the equipment you get to good use. Four char parties are okay too, but if your cleric/healer goes down you're in pretty bad shape.

3. dragon6789 Gems: 1/31

six people is perfect

4. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Four.
    One primary tank - Fig-4/Barb.
    One Cleric who is also a back-up tank.
    Two arcane spellcasters: a Sorcerer and a Rogue-2/Diviner.

Why didn't you include "one" as an option? :confused:

[ December 14, 2002, 06:34: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

5. Sylvan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

To be honest Earl Grey, I thought that a party of "one" just wouldn't be a "party" in truth :spin:
    Even though it is an option.

6. SCSI Gems: 1/31

Paladin 3/Fighter 6/Paladin (tank/healer/diplomat)
    Wizard 1/Barbarian (super resistance tank)
    Druid (caster/healer/tank)
    Cleric (healer/caster/tank)
    Wizard (scout/thief/sniper/caster)

7. Earl Grey

[​IMG] SCSI wrote:
    A few questions:
    - Why six Fighter levels instead of four?
    - Please explain the Wiz-1/Barbarian!
    - Pure Wizard? :confused: Why not start with a couple of Rogue levels since you won't get scrolls in time to cast spells anyway.

8. Jorgon Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Why am I thinking, "you can be an army of one"? hah. A Wizard-5/Battle Guard. That would work.

9. SCSI Gems: 1/31

Paladin 3/Fighter 6/Paladin (tank/healer/diplomat)
    Why six Fighter levels instead of four?

Maximized Attacks (needs weapon specialization in 2 weapons)

Please explain the Wiz-1/Barbarian!
    Wizard 1/Barbarian (super resistance tank)

Cloak of Mystra - Damage Reduction: 5/+1
    When he is level 28 he will have 10 damage reduction and around 600+ HP.

Wizard (scout/thief/sniper/caster)
    Pure Wizard? Why not start with a couple of Rogue levels since you won't get scrolls in time to cast spells anyway.

More spells, earlier acces to high level mage spells, can learn/cast all spells.

10. Keihdra Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I liked my party of four my first time through the game. I still would go with my wild elf 20 monk/10 sorcerer that I'm playing now.

11. Earl Grey

[​IMG] SCSI wrote:
    You only need four fighter levels, after that you can pick WS regardless of which class you level up in.

SCSI wrote:
    Taking one level of Wizard for the single purpose of wearing that item can't be good. You can add resistance by casting Stoneskin on him instead.
    A Fighter-4/Barbarian will be more powerful and a pure Barbarian will also be more powerful, unless you find some other way of utilizing that wizard level... which is a real possibility. :)

SCSI wrote:
    That is not correct.
    While it is true that you theoretically get access to higher level spells you can't cast them since you don't know any spells of that level.
    With a pure wizard (non ECL-race) you're typically 2-4 levels higher than required to cast spells of a particular spell level when you start finding scrolls of that spell level.

[ December 16, 2002, 06:30: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

12. vf6alpha Gems: 1/31

Cloak of Mystra on a Barb?!!?
    That's so against the spirit of role playing its not even funny. (actually, it IS funny.)
    Its like a wizard running around swinging a greatsword of the soul-less. :) In any case, its not really needed and for the sake of playing in-character, that item should be restricted to wizards, and clerics and paladins of Mystra. Having said all of that, I know for a fact that it IS an effective item for a fighter. My Paladin of Mystra uses the HoF version, Mystra's Embrace with damage redux: 10/+2 and stoneskin once a day. Helps a lot, especially when I'm too lazy to swap my High Master's Robe for a Chain of Drakka's Fury or plate armor.

13. Jorgon Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

As an update, I am using my wizard5/battleguard. I actually stopped at 4 for my wizard at the moment. It works though, nicely. As for the wizard with great sword, in my second game, my drow elven sorcerer(or is it wizard?) uses a greatsword.

14. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I prefer six party members, for maximum versatility. My current party is something like this:
    Moon Elf Druid/Fighter (tank and healing)
    Tiefling Fighter (tank)
    Human Rogue/Bard (Thief skills, bard song, and some magic)
    Wild Elf Palidin of Mystra/Wizard (tank, healing and backup mage)
    Moon Elf Cleric (healing)
    Drow Wizard (magic, Drow coolness factor)
    So far, they've been able to handle everything I've encountered without much trouble. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.