1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Experience

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Menion Leah, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I was wondering how much experience you are supposed to have acquired at certain points in the game. I'm also interested in what levels you guys actually were at those points. So for example:
    Chapter 1: 10,000xp 3/3/3/2 (-- levels of party members
    Chapter 2: 45,000xp 3/3/3/2 (level squatting)

I'm in a four people party at it looks like I currently have to level up, because I can't hit some stupid crystal golem. This will seriously cut into my xp gains though and I was just wondering what to aim for.

2. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Level squatting probably adds a level or two (at most) to the level you'll finish the game at so I wouldn't bother with it too much.

3. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

Ow, well in that case, I think I'll just level up. I still think this topic could be interesting though, just to see how good you have done compared to other people.

4. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

I ran a 4 member party with level squatting which could have ended the game as:
    HalfOrc Fighter[4]/Barbarian[19]
    Aasimar Paladin[3]/Sorcerer[19]
    Drow Rouge[3]Fighter[4]/Wizard[14]
    Drow Druid[3]/Cleric[18]

Wonder what are the levels achivable without level squatting are?

5. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

Wow, that's pretty high. Not that I'd know, but from what I read level 16 or so would usually be max.

Out of curiosity: how much (or at what level) did you level squat?

6. The Anorian Seer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

On the matter of hitting the crystal golems i may have an answer for you. the golems are some of the tougher races because A: magic usually doesnt work, and B: they can only be hit by blugeoning weapons such as quarter staves or war hammers. Try sitching to some of these when you attack them. Note: I rarely play a party that has a strong character weailding these kinds of weapons, but i found that the golems aren't all that tough if everyone in your party is wacking at them.

If using these weapons doesnt work then maybe there is a problem with the game, i don't think levels matter much in this.

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, crystal golems are easy if you hit them with bludgeoning weapons. That includes missile weapons like bullets or Arrows of Impact. They're impossible to hit with anything else.

8. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

My best 'fighter' (who's actually a cleric) couldn't hit him with the Haft over Head which is a throwing/melee axe that does bludgeoning damage. I think the reason I couldn't hit, was that he is of such low level (3) and thus has crappy THAC0 or whatever it's called.

Edit: wow, I finally beat him. It took a long time, because my cleric virtually never hits. He appearantly needed a roll of 16, but he was only rolling sub-ten. Well, thank goodness four hits were enough...

Edit2: Damn, I'll have to level up now anyway, because the Queen Remorhaz insta-kills me with her spell. :(

[ July 22, 2004, 22:18: Message edited by: Menion Leah ]

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I had some fun with the crystal golems when soloing.

The first time, it was a paladin/wizard. Hard but doable.

The second time, it was a fighter/monk/ranger/paladin with 8 STR and that time was some real fun :D

10. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

Those crystal golems are annoying, but with a little patience I can beat them. The same goes for that Remorhaz Queen. Hell, I even beat Sherincal with my level 3 party now! :D
    Every fight is a major battle now and although it can be frustrating, it is usually a lot of fun.

11. Khemsa Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

My current party:

At start of Chapter 1
    Character #1: Level 3, ~16,000 XP
    #2: Level 3, ~16,000 XP
    #3: Level 3, ~12,000 XP

At start of Chapter 2
    #1: Level 6, ~49,000 XP
    #2: Level 5, ~49,000 XP
    #3: Level 6, ~45,000 XP
    #4: Level 2, ~21,000 XP

At start of Chapter 3
    #1: Level 6, ~103,000 XP
    #2: Level 5, ~103,000 XP
    #3: Level 6, ~100,000 XP
    #4: Level 2, ~86,000 XP

I added the 4th character in Chapter 1 to keep the average party level at 4. My hats off to Menion Leah for taking out the Horde Fortress gates and the Remorhaz Queen with a level 3 party. I have real problems with those drums unless I can take them out first with Fireballs, and the Remorhaz Queen will waste my party if I do not have my decoy able to cast lots of Mirror Images (which means level 6 for him).

12. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

I have a scout character (deep gnome fighter(1)/thief(1)) with very high AC. I used him to hit out the drummer (or whatever that's called) by surprise. He also has entangle free boots or something and when my druid throws in entangle, the drummer is usually stopped.

The Remorhaz Queen had me reload lots of times, because she threw some stupid spell at me that would kill low hp characters. But then I thought of animal summoning she went down too.

I usually use hit and run tactics to lure enemies out one by one.

I'm now at the lower level of the Ice Temple in Chapter 2 and I have killed everything except for one high priestess and her minions. All my four characters have around 100,000xp.

13. Trouveur Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Without "level squatting" but after doing all the sub quests I finished the game in normal difficulty with an average of 17 levels.
    Since I am replaying the game with the same team in HoF difficulty I think I will attain the level 30 before the end, so "level squatting" is not very useful for me. :)

14. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

Well, I guess (from what I've heard) hitting level 30 will probably happen anyway if you replay in HoF, but the sooner one hits that level, the more of the game is left to play when you're that strong and not just the final battle(s). :)

15. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

But levelling up is half the fun. The attraction of the game plummets once you can't level up any more. For example, you don't bother completing quests any more. I usually 'retire' any characters soon after they hit level 30.

16. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

Well, I guess you're at least half right. Leveling up is fun. When I played Baldur's Gate I couldn't wait to get to the next level to get some new kick-ass spells for my sorcerer. But I also like to become powerful (as fast as possible) and in Icewind Dale 2, experience is gained faster when you level squat.

But I must admit, I leveled up now to level 13, because I was in the Ice Temple and I was sick of luring enemies out one by one. But now my cleric could just walk around the lower level and kill everything he layed eyes on. :) Not very challenging, but actually fun, since I was annoyed so much by those Aurilites so much.

Now I'm at Battle Squares and I couldn't have beat that with a level 3 character (I think, didn't try). But what were they thinking when they made this part!? "Surely fighting 250(!!!) one on one battles will be very interesting"

17. Khemsa Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

@Menion Leah
    As a follow-up to my previous post, my party has advanced as follows:

At the start of Chapter 4:
    Character #1 Level 13 ~136,000 XP
    #2 Level 13 ~136,000 XP
    #3 Level 14 ~131,000 XP
    #4 Level 2 ~107,000 XP
    #5 Level 2 ~21,000 XP
    #6 Level 2 ~21,000 XP

At the start of Chapter 5:
    #1 Level 16 ~178,000 XP
    #2 Level 13 ~178,000 XP
    #3 Level 17 ~184,000 XP
    #4 Level 2 ~149,000 XP
    #5 Level 2 ~63,000 XP
    #6 Level 2 ~63,000 XP

At the start of Chapter 6:
    #1 Level 20 ~285,000 XP
    #2 Level 13 ~285,000 XP
    #3 Level 20 ~290,000 XP
    #4 Level 2 ~252,000 XP
    #5 Level 2 ~162,000 XP
    #6 Level 2 ~161,000 XP

If you want the best of both worlds, you can squat with most of the party and just advance a couple of your characters. That way you get to enjoy the fruits of leveling up while still maintaining a low average party level.

18. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

Chapter 1: 10,000xp 3/3/3/2 (-- levels of party members
    Chapter 2: 45,000xp 3/3/3/2 (level squatting)
    Chapter 3: 140,000xp 15/15/15/14 (got sick of level squatting)
    Chapter 4: 175,000xp 16/16/16/15/1/1 (added two level 1 chars to bring down average level)
    Chapter 5: 186,000xp 17/17/17/16/1/1

19. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Isnt there a mod which makes you gain the same amount of XP all the time.. Makes level squatting unnessecary

20. Harbourboy

I've never heard of that mod. There's one that adjusts the moncrate.2da table to ensure that you still get SOME xp for kills no matter what your level, but you would still get more XP with level squatting.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.