1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

assertion problems

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by marC, Dec 19, 2003.

1. marC Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] when i was installing the game, two messages crept up, saying that 2 files didn't match the information contained in the cab file. i ignored the problem but now, im having trouble. the game keeps crashing when i fight those formorian giants.

i tried repairing the installation but i keep getting messages saying that my ANMgian.bif file and SNDvo.bif file are probably corrupt.

the thing is, i only borrowed my friend's cd and it would be a really big hassle to have the cds replaced.

does anybody know how i can fix the problem? i was hoping against hope that i could find the two files online but i haven't had any luck.

help!

2. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Had the same problem as you mate, but the file names were ANMChar.bif, and AR6050.bif, I ignored the file too, but I couldnt play the Jungles of Chult. What I did was borrowed a friends CD and used that instead of my copy, and there the files which were screwed were different... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: but it worked anyway...I suggest you find another copy of the CD and play it. Otherwise, you could also try suing Bioware :p

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Before you "sue", try with copying both CDs on your hard drive and install the game from there. All those files are too big to be sent to you by mail, sorry.

If this doesn't help, you can try with cheating. Enable cheatkeys and then kill creatures responsible for the crash by pressing CTRL+Y before the game tries to reach their corrupted sound/animation.

4. marC Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I, uhm, tried enabling the cheat keys, but the game crashed telling me that an assertion problem occurred at line 254...

=(

5. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Huh?
    You mean you've enabled cheats in IWD2 config utility and the after you've issued this command in the console:
    ctrlaltdelete:enablecheatkeys(1)
    the game crashed?

6. marC Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Well, I was able to enable cheats, but when I tried killing the giants off, the game crashed.

Could I maybe just skip this particular quest and just go on with the game? Or is saving the captain pretty important to the storyline?

7. Extremist Gems: 31/31

I believe it's not important for the storyline.

Another possible solution would be if you replace ANMgian.bif with another not corrupted animation BIF file. Check IDS files (use the search option in windows), find where is "anmgian" used and write there the animation code for something else that also exists in that IDS file. IDS files you may edit with notepad.

8. marC Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Uhm, could you run that by me again? *grin* I'm a fairly quick study, but I will need instructions. I've found 2 ANMgian.bif files in my pc. One is in the Blackisle game folder itself and the other is in the temporary game folder where I copied the contents of the 2nd cd into.

How do I compare these two? I've tried opening them with notepad, but I only get weird characters on screen, not Roman letters.

Or have I been going about it wrong?

I really appreciate your taking time out to help me. Thank you, Maraming salamat.

ÜÜÜ

marC!

PS.

I found the ids file, but still don't know how to fix it. I tried using the search feature in notepad to find instances of anmgian occurring in the file, but nothing came up.

Would it be imposing too much if I email you the file so you can look it over? There's a bunch of squares and other characters the first few lines of the file in notepad.

Thanks again!

9. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Oh, sorry, my upper post is totally messed up.
    First you have to extract all IDS files out of BIF files. To do that, you have to use Near Infinity or some other tool (WeiDU also comes in mind) that can open BIF files.
    One of those files will contain the word you're looking for. That IDS file, in fact that word, has to be turned into something that works. The the altered IDS file must be placed in the override folder.
    Ok, try this now, if you don't manage it, I'll make that and mail it to you. ;)

10. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Or, you could do like the FAQ on Black Isle's site says, and clear out your /cache/data folder, then restart the game. If it doesnt work even then...he he, tough luck. You could also get a different copy of the CDs from your vendor you know... :cool:

11. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Emptying the cache folder is ment for the case when area data gets corrupt during the copy process (bad DMA, bad HDD, bad memory, bad chipset driver or gamecrash from some cause). Animation data never comes to the cache folder, so in this case the "cache trick" won't help.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.