1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favourite item description

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Caradhras, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm curious, with so many items in that game, I wonder what are your favourite item descriptions? Not favourite item mind you, I'm thinking of the stories, names and descriptions.

I'm quite partial to "How To Be An Adventurer" (1st and 2nd Ed.):

"Face It, You're Actually Neutral Evil." :evil:

This line is just too good and it's so true! :p

2. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

The description for Cera Sumat is nice, but oh so long.

3. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

That throwing axe which does bludgeoning damage since its hilt hits first, it is hillarious IMHO.

But I agree 'How to be An Adventurer' is the best! :lol:

4. Caradhras

Media:
    You mean "Haft Over Head"? It's quite good actually.

I also like a lot the description for the "Hammer of Luzerne" a halberd which makes it even funnier when you consider that contrary to previous Infinity Engine games, there is no weapon restrictions on clerics anymore.

5. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

I also like the description for the "How To Be An Adventurer" book the most, it's a pity that the book is quite useless.

6. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Gives you what...10 K xp?? I hardly call that useless!! :D My ECL handicapped characters sure thank me for that book!

7. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

You get the next level faster but you get less fighting XP afterwards.

With some party compositions it can be useful using it, like in a party with 5 non-ECL characters and a drow.
    But if you have an aasimar and 5 non-ECL characters using the tome will even slow down level progression when you play the intended way.

8. crucis

K, then don't hit the Level Up button immediately, if that's a concern. 10K free XP (or 100K in HOF, IIRC) can never be a bad thing.

9. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

This can be considered game mechanics abuse and therefore cheating.
    If you allow level-squatting you can reach the XP cap so fast that the book is useless, surely not worth spending money.

10. crucis

So true, which is why I'd simply level up and to heck with the consequences.

That said, K, I actually read in the DM's guide in a section on item making and spending XP on making items, some language that actually sounded suspiciously similar to delaying one's character from levelling up. The reason was that a character could never expend XP making an item if it would drop them below their current level's minimum. OTOH, it also suggested that if the character intended on making an item that would bring it below a level minimum, it was not required that the character level up immediately. I don't own the DMG and didn't read everything, but there does seem to be some flexibility about when one must level up in PnP.

All that said, I do agree that level squatting is game mechanics abuse. I believe that I've said before that if I was coding the game engine, I'd have based the game's XP system not on actual character level, but its apparant level, based on the character's XP. That is, if a character had enough XP to be level 10, but was only level 8, I'd have the engine treat the character as level 10 for XP award reasons. Such a system would prevent level squatting.

11. Caradhras

Media:
    In HoF the book gives 20,000 XP. If I'm not mistaken.

Don't hijack this thread!

I'm a bit surprised that we only mentioned four items so far:

-How To Be An Adventurer
    -Cera Sumat
    -Haft Over Head
    -Hammer of Luzerne

12. Tal Rasha

Tal Rasha Eye of Vecna

I like "Cera Sumat" and its medallion best. Pale Justice comes the second.

13. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Are BG items allowed in this thread?

14. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

^I don't think so, and IIRC, there is no Pale Justice in IWD2...oh no, or is it? :eek:

15. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Haft Over Head is pretty funny! And I know we're not talking about BG items here, but I like Lilacor's description the best. :D

16. Tal Rasha

Tal Rasha Eye of Vecna

@Silverstar
    I thought IWD1 items are allowed here. :D

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Let's stick to IWD1 and IWD2 items in this thread. Feel free to open a similar thread in the ToB forum for the items of the BG series, though.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.