1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Looking for BattleSquares help/advice

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Klorox, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

1.) Use a strong character. My druid won the levels without reloading between battles.

2.)You don't have to finish them on your first attempt, you can return any time until you fly away with Oswald to Kuldahar 2 chapters later.

3.) If you like cheese you can just save after each battle and reload if you happen to get a hard enemy or unlucky rolls.
    If you're greedy you can reload the last fight of each of the 50 series until you get a (random) reward you like.

3. Klorox

Nah, I'm not going to reload for better rewards or anything, but is there some way to have more fights, using more squares, or is it always the same?

4. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

No, to complete Battle Squares, you have to successfully win a minimum of 250 solo battles. Yes, two hundred and fifty. (yikes.) It can be done, but it certainly tests your patience. That said, there are a number of very good rewards that make it worth the trouble, for most of the ranks.

The last few times I've played, I use the Ease of Use mod's little tweak that lets you skip battles quares and still get all of the rewards without the trouble of fighting all 250 battles.

5. Klorox

If you skip them, you wouldn't get XP, and I'd imagine 250 battles yeilds a significant amount of XP, wouldn't it?

6. JT Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Klorox, dynamic combat xp system means that won't matter.

Also BS might not even give xp (been a while since I played).

7. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

It gives some amount of XP for beating challenge levels, but I can not remember if it gave XP for monsters or not.

8. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    No exp from monsters, not in HoF mode at least. Can't remember what it was in normal mode since it's been ages I played the game with normal difficulty.

One thing that does make battle squares easy in HoF is a sorc with Malison & Disintergrate. Boo-ya! Black Blade of Disaster is also a treat. :yum:

But those just go to show how cheesy HoF can be at that stage of the game when you've muled your way into the Ice Temple... :rolleyes:

9. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

^I agree that battle squares are somewhat easier in HoF mode. You can disintegrate/finger of death/wail of the banshee tougher opponents with skill, (feats, high ability scores for increased DCs) some pre-spells (Malison, Despair) and luck (well...) big bad monster goes :poof: instantly and you are victourious! :shake:

10. Ulfgar Prigor Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

In my opinion (having played through it twice), Battle Squares is something like repeatedly hitting yourself over the head with a hammer. It is extremely monotonous and time-consuming, and also serves to deplete your supply of Potions of Extra Healing.

You quickly tire of it and wish it was over, but the lure of the rewards keep you going.

11. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

It depends on your style of playing. The first time I played them it was quite bearable, I didn't reload between battles or use a healing potion either and it was an interesting challenge since I had to keep my character from dying and kill the enemy fast enough. When the battles got too hard my party continued the story and returned later when they were more experienced.

If you try to beat all levels when you first get there ore use "save, cast finger of death, if monster survives reload" tactics you'll surely get bored fast.

The second playthrough is obviously less interesting since you already know that you have faced and beaten the challenge.

Only the reward for level 2 is good enough to stay considerably useful for the whole game btw.

12. crucis

Huh? I wouldn't call the levels 6 and 10 reward chump change.

13. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

The level 6 reward is useful for some monsters you meet in mid-game, but not as useful as for the battle squares themselves and you'll get many weapons which do a lot more damage than the level 10 reward during the rest of the game.

14. crucis

kmonster, I don't limit myself by thinking in such cut-and-dried, raw powergaming terms.

Yes, the L6 reward will not do its thing to all enemies in BSQ. Duh. That's why in BSQ, I think that it's best for a tank to scarf the very best weapons from the entire party from each type of damage (slash, pierce, and blunt) and have one of each equipped so that you can switch to the type which you think is most useful against each foe.

However, there ARE some BSQ enemies against which the L6 reward WILL be very, very useful.

And the L10 weapon, though not particularly useful for fighting BSQ since the characters most likely to want to use it are also unlikely to be those fighting BSQ, is a fine weapon for characters who want to use weapon finesse. Yes, even the best weapons for WF are not going to be the most raw damaging weapons. So what? This is a cRPG and some people actually do choose to do a little bit of the RP when they choose their weapons.

Try not being so dismissive of people who may actually choose to do a little RP'ing a cRPG. :)

15. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

Crucis, I don't know how you got the idea of me "being so dismissive of people who may actually choose to do a little RP'ing a cRPG", what did I post in this thread to cause you making this remark ?

My posts rather point into the opposite direction, I posted that the rewards won't really matter on the long run so that roleplayers won't feel bad if they don't force themselves to fight all the 250 battles if they don't want to.

The suggestion about returning later when the party is more experienced is also a roleplaying one, powergamers would rather force-fight their way through the squares with save and reload tactics when they first get there.

What you wrote about the L10 reward looks inconsequent to me. If someone plays a weapon finesse character for roleplaying reasons, he surely won't mind if his weapon is a little bit worse than optimal, especially since the difference between small-blades and 2-handers is much bigger.
    Building a WF character but forcing oneself to fight for the L10 reward seems rather like powergaming a weakened character than roleplaying.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.