1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The perfect sorcerer...

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Urgazhi, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Rekiller Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Wis can bu use to power up the WILL save trow against mental control.

2. Azael Enteri Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Its the sequel to Icewind Dale, a game that was somewhat similar to the Baldurs Gate series. One can make an honest assumption that it will be like the game it is the sequel to. Ok, things do change, but some things are the same as well, thats why its a sequel and not its own game. You may argue this, but it will forever be Icewind Dale II, emphasis on the II. So id say its pretty safe to say that the games would have similarities. Merely my opinion once more, im not going to force it down your throat. From what ive said, i say from where "I" stand, summoning has been close to useless. Certainly there are special cases where they can be used to give some strength to your party, but thats just it, its a special case.. expecially on normal. I do know that they are VERY helpful on HoF too, but when i spoke, i was speaking from a difficulty below that. Though im sure you could face HoF without summoned creatures, but they do help to conceal your parties weaknesses.

What it all started with...

I just find that you could remove maybe two points in Charisma... and place them in Wisdom. Im not saying charisma isnt important, im merely saying that wisdom is too. Even when making a socerer i think its rediculous to have wisdom and strength equal. Intelligence is also important because of the effect it has on ones learning ability. Constitution helps with spell casting.. etc. In the long run, i think that charisma, constitution, intelligence, and wisdom are the most important. Dexterity is helpful, but i feel it can be compromised. This is what has worked out best for me, im not saying that it has to be your way too, but it has kept my party strong.

3. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Guys,

You really have to consider the difference between a solo character and a party character though.

Solo you do have to do some hand to hand fighting, so 2 levels of paladin are useful. Saving throw bonuses, HP's,BAB's, use of Cera Sumat and immunity to fear.

You also need enough strength to carry stuff and do some damage when you hit.

I went:

STR - 14
    DEX - 12 (Take one more later for trade off with Wisdom
    CON - 12
    INT - 16 (Wasn't sure how many skill points I'd need)
    WIS - 8 (Planning for the dex/wis potion in the Ice Temple)
    CHA - 18 (Tough call, but decided I'd have to live with it)

The crunch comes really as to when you stop levelling since at some point you will have to squat levels or end up underpowered. Trust me, Paladin2/Sorcerer10 is hard work in the battle squares. Just finished part of level 7 and finally got the exp I was looking for....

Tonight Paladin 2 / Sorcerer 23 shall decimate levels 8 through 10 with little opposition. Why all the way to 23 you may ask? I wanted the final level 2 spell, as I've decided that knock has got to be the way to go rather than invest vast amounts of points in lock picking.

For a party - go pure, go unfettered, go Max Cha, high Dex, some int. Blast everything in sight. Then ask the rest of the party to mop up the pieces.

4. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Ladies and gentlemen, we've got our perfect sorcerer! Greatly balanced stats, you can handle everything with that guy! Great!

5. Felgash Toradûn Banned

If you absoultely want to multiclass a Sorcerer, then you should pick a Paladin...
    There arn't any other multiclasses that would benefit a sorcerer...

Btw: sorcerer/ranger, sorcerer/barbarian!?
    LMAO!! :grin: :shake: :grin:

6. Azael Enteri Gems: 4/31

why would it EVER cross your mind to make a sorcerer/barbarian?! LOL.

7. Rekiller Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Thats a very good idea...with barbarian rage (to up strenght, constitution and HP) and sorcerer spells (protect and power up ones) can be a really powerfull character!!!!!!

8. Azael Enteri Gems: 4/31

You go and do that ::laughs::

9. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Currently, all the other characters in the party is like decoys-they distract enemies while I launch Fireballs after Fireball to kill them en masse. My Sorcerer currently has the most kills!

10. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Aasimar Sorcerer x
    Because of the fact that sorcerers learn level x spell at level 2x not as wizards who are 2x-1,o a drow would be pointless,adding a barbarian is even more pointless,if you want to solo just start as a paladin then mc to sorcerer.

11. jeremiah Gems: 4/31

My favorite IWD2 character I ever used was an aasimar paladin2/sorcxx.

She specialized in necromancy and evocation spells with the appropriate feats ( a bit of enchantment as well). Had to give up transmutation feats as sorcs don't get as many as the wizard.

Maxed charisma, 16 cons and 14 intelligence were the stats I settled for with 10 wisdom, 10 dexterity and min strength. She was a powerhouse all the way.

12. Urgazhi Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] thanks heaps guys, if u think of anything else, feel free to post em here. :D

13. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
  14. Kabuki Man Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Why's a Drow Sor Pointless Khelban??

Drow Sor:
    Greater Spell Penetration
    Greater Evocation Focus
    Spirit of Flame

Sunfire

^_^

being Surrounded isn't so bad anymore..*Chuckles*

15. Urgazhi Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

i love doin sunfire when theres a heap of goblins pissin you off. or doing mirror image and d/b fireball. :D sweet

16. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Drows also gets a +2 to Dex, Int and Chr. Pretty darn good as a Sorcerer. Or, if you like, a Sorcerer/Wizard with 20Int/Chr. That would be pretty powerful.

17. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The main reason to go Aasimar rather than Drow would be for a solo character. You ought to have some sort of fighter levels so Pally is perfect even if it scuppers some quests and rewards. Taking Pally as a drow gives 20% exp damage which hurts early on together with the additional 1 level penalty.

If you want to go solo with a drow sorcerer I would go single class but combat will be hard early on. No Cera Sumat later either :( Nice sword btw.

Mordenkainen's Sword will of course solve most of the hand to hand problems later, but it's a fair while till you can use it.

18. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    You could get 4 levels of fighter, 2 weapon spec (choose large sword and either your typical melee weapon if not large sword or your typical ranged weapon), get maximised attacks and said WS. That gives your mord's swords the extra edge. Being a solo sorc you'r going to have plenty of that level spells, so it's like mord's sword from wake up till bed anytime.

19. Raistlin24 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I would suggest a human male sorcerer with the following scores

Attributes:
    -----------
    Str: 9
    Dex: 18
    Con: 18
    Int: 3
    Wis: 10
    Cha: 18

Skills: Concentration and Spellcraft (Spirit of Flame, etc)
    Feat: Sorcerer(1): Spell Focus, Evocation,
    Spell Focus, Evocation (Greater)
    Sorcerer(3): Combat Casting
    Sorcerer(6): Spell Focus, Necromancy
    Sorcerer(9): Spell Focus, Necromancy (Greater)
    Sorcerer(12): Spirit of the Flame
    Sorcerer(15): Scion of Storms
    Sorcerer(18): Spell Penetration
    Sorcerer(21): Spell Penetration (Greater)
    Sorcerer(24): Dash
    Sorcerer(27): Aegis of Rime
    Sorcerer(30): Aqua Mortis

He will mostly use spells from Evocation school and Necromancy

Level 1
    -------
    Magic Missile
    Chromatic Orb
    Burning Hands
    Grease
    Ice Dagger

Level 2
    -------
    Mirror Image
    Aganazzar's Scorcher
    Horror
    Protection from Arrows
    Melf's Acid Arrow

Level 3
    -------
    Flame Arrow
    Lightning Bolt
    Fireball
    Invisibility Sphere
    Skull Trap

Level 4
    -------
    Stoneskin
    Improved Invisibility
    Mordenkainen's Force Missiles
    Emotion: Hope
    Level 5
    -------
    Sunfire
    Chaos
    Animate Dead
    Cone of Cold
    Ball Lightning

Level 6
    -------
    Disintegrate
    Chain Lightning
    Mass Haste
    Globe of Invulnerability

Level 7
    -------
    Mordenkainen's Sword
    Finger of Death
    Delayed Blast Fireball

Level 8
    -------
    Horrid Wilting
    Symbol of Hopelessness
    Summon Fiend
    Power Word: Blind

Level 9
    -------
    Wail of the Banshee
    Mass Dominate
    Aegis
    Meteor Swarm

20. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Sorcerer Aasimar (party leader)

Str 6 - Don't need more.
    Dex 10 - Spells protect instead.
    Con 14 - Particularly useful with bonus HP's for sorcerers/wizards.
    Int 16
    Wis 14
    Cha 20

Majoring in Bluff, Concentration, Diplomacy.
    Minoring in Spellcraft and Intimidate.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.