1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The perfect sorcerer...

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Urgazhi, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Urgazhi Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] I know that pretty much everyone on sorcerers uses a sorcerer or wizard in their party. i was wondering how everyone made their own personally perfect demi-god... :evil:

i always use an aasimar or drow because of their charisma bonuses but a wild elf is always good.

is it good to cross a barbarian or fighter 1-4 levels with a sorcerer x?

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I have always found that giving a level of fighter or barbarian to a sorcerer is kind of pointless. The last thing you want is for your sorcerer to be fighting hand to hand and even if you do have a level of fighter it is not going to make all that much of a difference. I have heard good things about the saving throw benefits of giving the sorcerer a level of paladin but I have always gone either pure sorcerer or pure wizard.

3. Urgazhi Gems: 10/31

really? well ok
    i guess ill just have to avoid doin hand to hand combat with my sorc....

4. Rekiller Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I allways use my sorcerer as an agressive bombarder, only direct damage spells like fire ball and chain lighting.

5. Azael Enteri Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

First off.. yes, a sorcerer in a way is like an Archer. It is a character that doesnt really get into close combat or atleast you dont want it to.

My sorcerer for instance uses the Phantom Staff +5. Im sure your saying.. well a staff is basicly a staff, but this works like a throwing axe(or hammer etc.).

So really, my sorcerer never goes melee, which he shouldnt. I believe my sorcerer is also a human male. He believe hes running dual-class sorcerer/wizard. Mostly for him to work well im just building up skills that help his armor, for when his is hit. Trying to use the skill that raises hit points per level. You should always try to keep your sorcerer at the back of a party i believe, unless youre fighting weak monsters. Better safe than sorry though.

Also, you probably want to get a decent amount of ranged magical attacks to use on opponents. Usually elemental attacks work best, but it really depends on the monster youre attacking. I wouldnt suggest monster summoning or other player controled characters because they are seemingly useless for the most part. Maybe a shadow or elemental here or there.. but they arent much good. Atleast in my experience.

Keep your sorcerer well dressed as well :D A nice robe of course. You probably then want a cloak of protection... rings of protection... bracers of defense. I sometimes use these, but they can always be compromised for better items that boost your skills. I wouldnt suggest stacking a sorcerer with items either. Keep them light wight so they have manuverability. Something like a helmet(unless very good) i find unecessary.

Well i guess thats about it. Im sure i forgot things, but its 4:20AM and cant remember anything else to say about sorcerers... If you have any questions, feel free to ask and i hope this helps.

Mind you that these are my opinions and what has worked best for me. You would probably want to alter things according to your party members skills as well.

6. Urgazhi Gems: 10/31

im goin solo with a paladin of mystra 1/
    sorcerer x. mainly so i can use the cera sumat when i get it but also because im gonna be forced to do some melee combat sooner or later.

7. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

A Tiefling ranger(5)/sorcerer(X) is the best combo. You have a pretty good fighter to use in the beginning and kicks ass at the later stages. He also have blindness to use against melee combateers.

8. Nxla Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

ranger5/sorcx....... you're funny :p

9. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31

Veteran

That's one good suxerer!
    Sorcerer Aasimar (pure)
    STR: 10
    DEX: 10
    CONST: 16
    INT: 14
    WIS: 10
    CHA: 20

10. Azael Enteri Gems: 4/31

Kind of low intelligence and wisdom there... :rolleyes:

11. Rekiller Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Aasimar Sorcerer...thats a good idea i never imagined it. But one thing,to high wis and int, how about this one:

STR: 10 +0
    DEX: 18 +4
    CON: 18 +4
    INT: 06 -2
    WIS: 08 -1
    CHA: 20 +5

THIS IS THE BEST SORCERER I EVER MADE!!

12. Felgash Toradûn Banned

\Name : ABC

\Race : Human/Aasimar

\Stats :

Strength - 10
    Dexterity - 10
    Constitution - 16
    Intelligence - 12
    Wisdom - 12
    Charisma - 20

[ March 17, 2003, 18:05: Message edited by: Felgash Toradûn ]

13. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Azael.
    Is the Phantom Staff a HOF item?

14. Urgazhi Gems: 10/31

a tifeling sorcerer? but you are wasting 2 points on charisma cos they start with 8 dont they?

15. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Yes but they start with 4 in bonus so you goes with 2 points up. And you wont be able to reach level 9 in spells before level 8 anyway.

16. Azael Enteri Gems: 4/31

Phantom Staff shouldnt be a HoF item.. but thanks for the idea, i just turned HoF on :D

17. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Ivanji, iirc Aasimars also start out with a 4 bonus in stats. And seeing how they are allowed to go up to 2 extra in CHA, I think this makes them highly preferable over a Tiefling. Seeing how your CHA modifier determines the DC for the sorcerer's spells.

And as for some of the builds I've seen suggested here, I must say: :eek: levels of Barbarian or Ranger? Summoning isn't good? 14 INT and 10 WIS considered low for a Sorcerer? while another says it's too high... I feel like some of you are talking about a different game!

Taking meleelevels with a sorcerer for a party is never needed. If soloing, one might argue for it, but even then, the only class worth taking levels (1 or 2) in would be the paladin class, for the added Savingthrows. Summoning worthless? Have you even used animate dead? It's THE spell which allows you to live to see your foes in HoF. 14 INT low for a sorc? Sorcerers take spells from their CHA. As for INT for skills, 14 INT will give you all the skillpoints you'll need for Conversational and Concentration. As for 10 being a low WIS, I think this is just fine. In 3rd ed, Sorcerers gain good Savingthrows for WIS anyway so...

18. Azael Enteri Gems: 4/31

Just saying from past experience with Black Isle games. Though ive been playing with HoF on now and i do see an arguable point on what i said. Though on other difficulties i find summoning to be weak and a waste of skills. I can certainly see where your coming from if youve been playing HoF for a while..

As for my comment on INT and WIS, i still stick to the opinion of which i stated.

19. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

First, don't judge or assume this games' points on the points of past games. This is a game in its own. :)

Second, I've found Summoning to be highly usefull in Normal mode as well. A sole point to take out of all the situations that I wouldn't have gotten through without the help of summons: The Lost Followers. While a few summons were occupying the archer and the monk, I was able to get a reasonable defense up, and from there go hard on the offense. Without those four summons, my party would've been chop liver.

So their usefullness isn't solely restricted. In HoF you can't do without. In Normal, they make things much easier, and at certain points they are also nearly required in order to survive.

20. Felgash Toradûn Banned

I totally agree with Faragon...
    INT and WIS isnt any useful for a sorcerer...

You don't seem to get that INT doesn't affect sorcerer spells at all...

It would be wiser to max out CHAR and CON, and then spend som points on DEX, for the armour class...

Are you sure you havn't mixed up sorcerer and wizard, Azael?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.