1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Squatting

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Faraaz, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Khemsa Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Faraaz,

It sounds like you are using the earlier JUPP arcane party. Do you know about his updated one? JUPP's current arcane party consists of:

Decoy: DG, Lawful Evil (to avoid Blasphemy), Rogue 1, Monk 1, Dreadmaster 1 (quest bonuses to WIS increases AC making it easier to hit AC 72), Illusionist 27.

Tank: DG, LN or NE, Dreadmaster 16, Druid 14. This character needs to keep the levels in the two classes equal to avoid XP penalties. I, personally, have found that this makes this character too weak, so I am inclined to go with a Drow female and take Cleric at least to level 13 before adding any Druid levels.

Blaster: Drow, Sorcerer 30.

The latest JUPP arcane does not have a mandatory 4th character. Either run just the three, or create a 4th character that suits your fancy; I like a Paladin/Sorcerer, but YMMV.

2. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Where do I get this from then? I had a look at GameFAQS and they don't have it!

SP should keep it methinks...unless they've already got it and I didnt search properly...

Edit: I looked...SP has the same older version I've got...although its in a spiffy PDF version.

Note to Tal if he's reading...the formatting in the TXT version of the JUPP is really stuffed up! :grr:

[ August 12, 2005, 15:18: Message edited by: Faraaz ]

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Redownload from SP, I've put the updated version of the txt up. I can't find an updated pdf anywhere, so I mailed Jukka if there is one.

Formatting's fine, turn Word Wrap off.

4. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Ah...that explains it.

Well...can't wait to micro-analyze the latest Arcane party! :D :D :D

Edit: I had a look and the old guide is still up...can you give me a link to the new one??

[ August 13, 2005, 13:28: Message edited by: Faraaz ]

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    No, it's not. The updated version of the original one is up now. There is no updated pdf, however, so the old one is still up. But the txt in the zip is updated.

6. Mudde Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Jukkas new decoy looks a bit like my first decoy but I prefer the other with pal-lvls. A high spellresistance is better than one more point of AC and immunity to one spell. The last fight isn't the toughest in my opinion so i prefer giving him som extra power in the other fights (like the Xvim-knights).

7. Khemsa Gems: 7/31

The reason I prefer the newer decoy is that I would much rather the decoy carry the Golden Heart of <CHARNAME> than the Holy Avenger. The permanent haste feature of Golden Heart alone is worth its weight in gold (sorry). Meanwhile, with his pitiful strength, the decoy is not exactly a melee animal, regardless of what weapon he is given. As far as his SR goes, give him the two SR increasing potions from Sherincal (one from normal and one from HOF). Combined with his natural SR the decoy should have few problems with SR.

The best thing I like about the new decoy is that, with all the proper equipment and feats, including the Golden Heart, I only need to keep three (3) spells active on him to give him AC 72: Shield, Ghost Armor and Barkskin. Now that is the kind of minimum micromanagement that I just adore. Furthermore, by carrying that defensive dagger (the one that gives +3 deflection) in his off hand, I can maintain AC 70 with just two spells; or still have AC 58 when he arrives on a new map after a long hike with no buff spells.

When I want to use the Holy Avenger for combat, I use a fourth character like the DG Paladin 3 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 3 / Illusionist 20 with max strength and minimum WIS. This type of character can afford to take the combat feats which the decoy, who is primarily a blaster, cannot afford to take, thus creating a better tank.

Finally, for my own ease of use, I like to keep powerful weapons away from the decoy so that I do not become tempted to think that the decoy is some kind of fighter; he is a blaster and so I want to avoid anything that would make me forget that. But, as always, YMMV.

8. Mudde Gems: 9/31

I usually give my decoy some of the best weapons. My other chars gets the best ranged weapons (2 uses throwingaxes/hammers and the other has bows/xbows) and they have 2-h-weapons if they should rush in to battle and hammers and maces against golems. There's no one else who uses the good 1h-swords so my decoy gets them. The extra strenght (6 instead of 2) makes him able to carry the best boots and cloaks i find along the way even when the bull's strenght has been dispelled. I already have 5 almost pure casters so the decoy don't need more than 20 lvls illusionist. The immunity to fear from pal-lvl 2 is good so i don't have to wear the necklace found in targos-battle. It's bad that you can't change alignment due to your actions like in NWN, 'cause a fallen paladin worshiping bane would be quite fun...

9. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

NWN would be good for that...

Well...I started up my game again in HoF mode with my lvl 21 party...and got my butt handed to me by three goblins.

Admittedly, I hadn't buffed my decoy because I couldn't be bothered prepping for a fight with GOBLINS for crying out loud! :o

So...I'm reconsidering the wisdom of playing HoF...just thinking about those Slayer Knights of Xvim in the Severed Hand makes me wince... :eek:

10. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I know the feeling. That's exactly why I HATE HoF. :mad:

11. Khemsa Gems: 7/31

The Slayer Knights of Xvim have the highest BAB of any "standard" monster at +52 -- they are the reason the JUPP sets its goal at AC 72. The Targos goblins have a BAB of +26, so an AC of 46 should keep you safe and you should have an AC 46 with your decoy which you should have by now with nothing more than a Mage Armor spell.

The hardest part about HoF is making sure that every enemy concentrates on the decoy and nobody gets around the flanks to attack the rest of the party. Undead summons can be useful for keeping the flanks safe.

Keep at it, you'll get the swing of it.

12. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Yeah...I know...its just that by the time I finished the Targos Palisade battle, I was tearing my hair out.

Is it just me or is the AI in HoF upgraded as well to only go for the character with the least AC? My Rogue/Wizard is getting NAILED by all these goblins while the decoy is running after them yelling "YO! Over here! Pick on someone your own size you lil *****!" :roll:

13. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31

I don't like squatting anymore, I squatted 9 levels and now i'm in chapter 5 with a level 17 party, its real easy and i'm getting no XP :(

14. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Thats when you add another charecter. When my current party (with almost no level squatting mind) got to the Wandering Village it consisted of:
    Human Battlegaurd of Tempus[8]/Barbarian[9]
    DeepGnome[14] (Even I can't remember all his classes offhand)
    Drow Bard[10] (Added when Oswald's ship crashed.)

Since I was not getting any XP for kills I added a Human Sorceress Pairi to my party. Now I am getting decent XP.

Only levelup if you have attained required number of levels in a particular class or are getting whipped in a fight. When you are level squatting it is best NOT to level up everyone at the same time. Try to manage with taking levels for only one or two at any time.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.