1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best blunt weapons

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Menion Leah, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Since some enemies in the game are immune to certain types of damage, I thought I'd do all sorts of damage. I already have a character wielding a greataxe (slashing) and two characters using bows (piercing) but I don't have someone for the bludgeon damage.
    Before I level up though, I'd like to know what bludgeon weapon type it is best to specialize in: hammers, maces, flails or quarterstaffs.

Any thoughts?

2. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I went for maces since there are so many in the game, and Flaming Star +1 which is perhaps the most useful blunt weapon in the game (I was still using it at Severed Hand!) uses the mace proficiency. My choices would be mace, hammer and flails, in that order.

3. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

Thanks for your reply!

I had another question:
    What excactly does it mean when the description from a weapon says that there is an improved chance of a critical hit? (how much improvement)

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

There are more good magical maces in the game than hammers and flails, although there are some staffs with interesting side-effects.

As far as improved chance of a critical hit, that means if you used to have to roll a 20 to get a critical hit then now you only need to roll a 19 or 20 so in this case your chances have doubled from 5% to 10%.

5. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

There's a Mace of Undead Disruption (don't know the exact name) to be won at the Battle Squares. I like it!

6. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

There are like 80 maces in the game. Maces, clubs and morningstars all use the Martial weapon: mace feat. Belib's Everlasting Torch and Club of Disruption are two of the best weapons in the game.
    Go for Maces.

Maces have Critical hits at rolls of 20. When a weapon shows an improved chance of critical hit this would mean +1 to critical hit range. For Maces this would mean 19-20/x2.

7. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

Okay, I'll take maces then. Thanks guys!

8. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

If you run Weimer's Undead Targos mod you can get the Moon Maiden's Blessing (+2 mace, +2d6+2 vs. undead) by talking to Ulbrec's wife. Not bad having a +2 weapon to start a game with.

9. Vassago Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Does running this mod give you more experience than fighting the goblins or is it the same experience but tougher fights?

10. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

You get more experience overall (for quests rather than for kills), but the fights are tough - real tough.

11. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

Would it also be tough when you do this in HoF with a party that's already been through the game in normal mode (like most people appearantly do) and thus have the Club of Disruption?

12. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I don't know about HOF--I'm soloing it right now in normal mode and it's tougher just down in the Docks area.

13. Kanaela Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Yes, it is much tougher. In Normal the Skeles had 30 hp, and Goblins had 4. In HoF, the Skeles seem to have 130-140 (haven't done exact as of yet), and Goblins 115-125 (again I haven't hit perfect). So yes it is much harder, and even with Mace of Disruption the chance (25% I think) is still hard to luck out on. But I found you can usually do that much damage in a few hits. It takes two hits for my solo Great Sword Sorceror to kill a Skele in normal, and 5 in HoF so its not extremely hard :)

14. Xyfiel Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Undead have to make a fortitude save vs Mace of Disruption. Of course in HOF they have higher saves making it less useful but useful still.
    It's great as a weapon switch.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.