1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Are monks as good as they seem?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Lond Daer, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Lond Daer Guest

[​IMG] I would like to hear more opinions about this class. At the moment i'm going through the game with a monk as main character (the second one, I might add), and I feel quite invincible at level 16+. Is it just me ? I can assure you I'm not that good at this game.

[ September 23, 2002, 23:56: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Greystar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Yes, a monk is very powerful, I assure you :D . He can't be hasted, though :( .

3. Legitas Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Monks are cool :grin: . They can kill adamantine golem in few minutes (no weapon needed) and their imunites + resistance to magic rocks :p though they are quite weak in the begining.

4. Jim Babwe Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I am currently playing a MP game with a Monk (lvl 10). I am waiting patiently for her to get real powerful, but for now she is only mediocre. However, her saving throws are great and the vampiric touch, stunning blow and horror abilities are nice. She doesn't really deal out that much damage yet, and tends to get hit alot in melee due to a meager -1 AC. Is there a certain level where monks become real powerful or is it just a gradual progression? I have found my Barbarian to be by far the more powerful character to this point.

5. Lond Daer Guest

@ Jim Babwe:

Monks receive magic resistance at level 14. That's when the breakthrough occurs. Other than that, their main attributes (AC, THAC0, speed) increase gradually, without limits (if there are limits, please let me know).

6. Ray192 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

hah, get to when you get the palm thing and you'r invincible!

7. Davaeorn Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

My two multiplayer monks, Leto and Ghanima, were two of the most powerful characters I've ever made. I did edit them a bit, to give them some abilities belonging to a certain monk in TOB that will remain nameless, but it might as well have been legit since I only used the abilities in about three battles.

Monks become very powerful. :D :cool: :eek:

8. r'Hant Gems: 3/31

There's a monk in TOB! Awww, look what you've done! Now I really have to play it... :wail:

9. Greystar Gems: 7/31

@Jim: He/she will be very powerful when you get the Guantlet of Crushing from certain quest in Chapter 4, it has +4 to damage and thac0 (unarmed combat only)

10. Valer Gems: 7/31

Monk is the most powerful character in the game, and no need to think much about the equipment. :)
    - At the end it can do d20+4 damage I think it is better than the best weapon (d12+4).
    - The AC decreasing constantly you can have -12 easily (like Firkraag's the red dragon).
    - 78% the cap of the magic resistance, but with other magic items you can increase is (Ring of Gnax for example) I had 98% which is practicaly 99%... (if 100% equals to 99% i don't know this)
    - With the gauntlets, which give you +4 THACO and +4 Damage you are over powered
    - Haste is good thing, but i think the monk moves faster than the others

Only disadvantage, that, in the begining, it is not strong enough, so don't think about soloing...

11. Ayla Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I play my monk in sologame, I had no troubles killing my enemies in the beginning, but sure, some other classes may be a better choice in solo...but nothing can beat the way they fight, solo, multi, doesn't matter! :)

12. Greystar Gems: 7/31

When you solo a monk, just do some "easy" quest first to get some exp (like collecting 15000 gp, slave's quest, circus's tent quest, etc)

@Valer: haste sure isn't very good, but you can't use improvehaste, which is very powerful (double your attack/round, ahhh!)

13. Platypus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Monks do get ridiculously powerful in the higher levels. There's a savegame somewhere of this guy who kitted out this monk just to kill Firkrag... you can see the savegame after he kills him as well. He managed to do it in a few seconds (Quivering thingy of death that he has :cool: )

14. Hassassin Gems: 4/31

Veteran

[​IMG] Yeah, monks are powerfull, but I personally find Kensai better. Even that the AC in comparison to a monk sucks, you can get it to -2. Ring of regeneration combined with ring of Gaxx (not sure about spelling), combined with the regeneration / +1 AC stone and boots of speed make wonders ... In case that you have a druid - barkskin helps a lot.

The +1 to hit / damage every 3 levels makes your thac0 REALLY interesting. Kiai is very good too. And with the high level skills - no problem with any of the bosses.

The main advantage is the damage - you are able to dispatch the enemies much faster than a monk. Just make sure that you have decent wisdom - for the spell saving throws.

As for the ranged weapons - just give him / her some throwing dagger or axe.

I have been playing a MP game with both kensai and monk in the party - and where monk is VERY good to attract the enemies and avoid / absorb damage to buy time for the party, a kensai simply cuts his way through the battlefield.

The only thing that sucks is level draining - but what are the scrolls of undead protection for?

Hassasin

15. Frank Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] one thing about monks, I eventually made it to the level cap with my monk. I rerolled in the begening so much until i got a STR 18 CON 18 DEX 18 WIS 18 INT 5 CHAR 6. So get this by the time he hit the level cap he was so amazing I had to remove all but viconia from the group because all the other characters slowed me down. Monks are gods, they could take gods. If you want the game to be a bit of a challenge do not be a monk. If you like playing god be a monk. But i was cheap to, I would do quivering palm on a dragon till i beat it, a lot of reloading though, about 20x times, but the satisfaction of taking a red dragon in one hit was so worth it.

16. MagnusMagus Gems: 4/31

The most common misconception about monks is probably that they are at their most powerful in unarmed combat.
    This is true only if you don`t have the bonus merchants installed.

Jouluv in the Coronette sells the Scarlet Ninja-Toe +3. This weapon is ESSENTIAL especially at early levels.
    It grants an extra 1/2 attack per round, and does poison damage.
    What`s so good about that you ask ??
    Poison damage kills trolls.
    So a solo monk should have this weapon as their primary weapon in the early stages (until their unarmed damage overpowers it), and after that keep it on them, to be used in troll killing. :)

17. r'Hant Gems: 3/31

A lot of things kill trolls, starting with fire arrows and ending with Sword of Flame. They aren't major opponents; just allow Nalia to come with you and say 'Goodbye, big green uglies...'
    And you don't need special editions for her.

[ September 30, 2002, 12:41: Message edited by: r'Hant ]

18. MagnusMagus Gems: 4/31

You don`t need special editions for the bonus merchants either; you can download them almost everywhere now.
    And the Scarlet Ninja-To is a monk-only item; and it also improves on their unarmed attacks per round.
    In other words, a solo monk should NOT be without it. A party monk will probably have a Made, a Cleric, and another Tank to back him up, so the abilities of the Scarlet Ninja-To aren`t as important, but still quite worthwhile.

19. Sirfin Gems: 1/31

Veteran

Soloing a monk?

Have any of you done it? How do you open chests? Can you complete the game without picking ability?

Sirfin~

20. alighter Gems: 4/31

Monks are very powerful, but a bit boring towards the end. and he starts very weak. he's cool though...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.