1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What Sorcerer Spells are best?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Nerra, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Nerra Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I am going through the game with a mate. I am playing with a Sorcerer and I'm want to know which spells I should be taking when I level up ("essential spells"). Obviously some spells are much better than others, so I would appreciate it if you could tell me which are the better ones. I've already discovered fireball :D very nice!

2. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

For me, the essential spells are:

Stoneskin
    Slow (an odd choice for most people, but I like it)
    Chaos
    Knock
    Mirror Image
    Chromatic Orb
    Summoning spells

I don't use magickers very offensively - more as disablers. Summoning is their main spell though.

3. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Check out the thread in the Throne of Bhaal forum by klorox. Much of the advice given on sorcerers is usefull for IWD2. There are some difference, like mass dominate being absolutely essential, but it should still give some very usefull pointers.

4. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] Just try to avoid spells that become useless fast, like Minor Mirror Image.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Mirror Image is an essential one. I get a lot of use out of Chromatic Orb, Fireball, Delayed Blast Fireball, Skull Trap, Improved Invisibility, Mass Haste etc.

It pays to get spells that don't become useless as you level up so get ones that get more powerful as you go on.

It also depends on whether you want your Sorcerer to be purely offensive or whether you want him to be a buffer as well.

6. Takara

Media:
    My mage became the nightmare of any group of foes when she started wielding mass dominate in fury. There's nothing quite like seeing a group of badies become confused when half their buddies start hacking at them. It's kind of an offense/defense spell.

"Mass dominate: when you aren't feeling very popular, choose mass dominate. All of a sudden you will realise you had more freinds than you thought."

7. Goon66 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

What about magic missile.

8. Maertyn

[​IMG] What about it? The ultimate mirror image killer - UNLESS the enemy is utilizing shield spell.

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    My list:

Identify, Chromatic Orb, Stoneskin, Mirror Image, Fireball, Sunfire, Greater Elemental Binding, Mordenkainen's Sword, Improved Invisibility, Emotion: Hope, Haste, Mass Haste, Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Knock, Aggannazzar's Scorcher (useful in narrow passes at the begining and for finishing groups of trolls off closer to the end), Eagle's Splendour, Web, Dispel Magic, Lightning Bolt

Only spells I ever use are included.

10. Goon66 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Magic missile is heaps cool yet none of you include it. Though it no longer interupts enemy mages like it used to its still good for killing people on Almost Dead kinda i guess and it levels up a bit

11. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Magic Missile, Fireball, Delayed Blast Fireball, Tenser's Transformation, Mordenkainen's Sword, Horrid Wilting, Wail of the Banshee, Fireshield Blue, Force Missiles, Great Shout, Improved Invisibility, Stoneskin, Malison

12. Nerra Gems: 1/31

Thanks for the advice guys. My sorcerer is level 15 atm with 22 charisma. You reckon i should keep uping the charisma?

btw... she is fully offensive, as my mate and I are playing it through with only 2 characters (1 each), so she needs to be kick ass on the front line

13. Maertyn

[​IMG] In that case you may think about putting points into str if you got no cleric or dex if you need AC. Otherwise put everything into cha!

14. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Are you sure you mean strength and not constitution? And as a piece of advice from me, no matter what make sure you get fireball, you're not a real sorcerer till you do.

15. Maertyn

[​IMG] IMO unless he's got Strength Of One spell he will need more firepower instead of hp. Not getting hit in the first place is another story, that's why I recommended DEX - CHA is always a winner for sorcerers and bards.

16. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

If you have horrid wilting and animate undead you can play the game solo (almost).

17. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Finger of Death can be useful especially in the time loop place.

18. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Tenser's and Mordy's Sword are wicked.

Like everyone says, Mirror Image is essential. Add improved haste, stoneskin and improved invis for extra protection.

For area damage, go delayed blast fireball and horrid wilting as staples.

Wail of the banshee and symbol of hopelessness are excellent crowd control spells. The latter is my favourite.

19. Nerra Gems: 1/31

What level spell is Horrid Wilting? Ive got 6th level spells atm.

20. Takara

Media:
    you get horrid wilting at level 8. You've got a little further to go yet.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.