1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

2nd Level Goblin Warren Freeze

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by bigfatphingers, Nov 12, 2002.

1. bigfatphingers Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi- I think that says it all. My game lags and becomes unplayable as soon as I enter the second level of the goblin warrens. Up to that point everything is fine. I know that other people have had this problem, but has anyone solved it? Thanks in advance.

Bigfatphingers

2. Grey Ghost Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I haven't heard of anything to solve it. But it does get better as you kill some of the enemies an take some of the treasure off that level. For me, what I tend to do is to kill all the guards at the enterance then go back to level 1. Then after I have cleared level 1 (I sneak through the first time for the xp bonus you get) I go back to 2 and it still lags a bit but as you clear the enemies and the treasure out it get better...

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Do you have the official patch installed?

4. Grey Ghost Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I now have the official patch installed, but I just installed it yesterday and I am past the warrens in my current game.

edit: will the patch help speed up that area? that is the only area where I have any trouble with the game and it is really really annoying...

[ November 12, 2002, 20:07: Message edited by: Grey Ghost ]

5. Quint Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

There's another area that did the same to me. Not that severe but still very annoying. It's in Dragon's Eye the level of the Alchemy Lab. The problem on that level starts to occur only after you go to report back to Neehero that his friend is dead. When you come back, his friend is a skeleton walking around the area where he died. That skeleton, or most probably the lousy script they wrote for it, causes the intermittent cpu overload. Most probably because it detects its sword when you approach it carrying it, so a script must be running periodically to detect the sword. I say it's the scripting interpreter of the infinity engine, not being designed for modern CPUs.

[ November 12, 2002, 21:18: Message edited by: Quint ]

6. dkamnitzer Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I started over with the patch installed and the lag is still in both locations on my machine. Other than that the game runs fine.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The patches usually don't help if you install them once you already are in the area which is problematic. I.e., they usually only work for areas you haven't visited yet.

8. bigfatphingers Gems: 1/31

Hey everyone, thanks for the advice. I finally fixed the lag (I have XP) by going to the task master (cntrl+alt+del) and setting IWD2 priority to low. I think it is strange that this worked, but it did. please let me know if this works for anyone else! enjoy.

BFF

9. Quint Gems: 8/31

In fact, I was suspecting something like this should work, if my explanation of the problem I gave above were correct.
    If this works, then the problem is probably as follows:
    The game's script runs in a loop that is somehow given too much priority, thus taking away CPU time from another thread that does the drawing (and which probably belongs to another process controlled by the DirectX engine).
    Setting the game's priority to low would allow the drawing process to get its normal time and get on with the drawing which would eliminate those hiccups.
    I should try this too, as I'm using Win2000. But even if one is using Win9X/ME there are utilities that allow changing a process' priority.

10. ffthace Gems: 1/31

I have Windows ME and have the same lag problem. How can I change the priority?

11. Quint Gems: 8/31

There's a utility called ATM (Another Task Manager) that can do this.

http://atm.rm.it/

Or search with google for it, or similar task managers for win9X.

12. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Just a brief info, Quint has been working on the problem, based on his experiments seems that one of script commands inside the engine is malfunctioning as the same "stutter" thing may happen in Dragon's Eye.

If the process level manupilating doesn't help you, please check this thread later when Quint will definetly know if it's a script command problem or not.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.