1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

IWD2 Software Problems

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Soren Vracian, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Soren Vracian Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Well, being new here I shall firstly introduce myself- my name is Andrew regardless of what the screen name says, and I've been playing Baldur's Gate style RPGs on the computer, and PnP RPGs for awhile now.

However, some of those Baldur's Gate type RPGs also have a habit of causing extreme annoyance- in the form of severe software glitches. It started with IWD. Whenever I would try to enter Lower Dorn's Deep, the game would crash, giving me an error messege saying a demand for a WED file failed... Thus I never saw anything in Chapter 6 for IWD.

The same problem has resurfaced in the last few days in my copy of IWD2, a very similar error messege, but now it happens whenever I leave the first area that you land in, in Kuhldahar(sp?). It doesn't matter if I try to go into the watch tower, Oswald's air ship, or further into town, the game freezes in loading, and then crashes.

I tried three fresh reinstalls, downloaded the latest patch, and in desperation even downloaded the "Ease of Use Patch" to try to "Teleport" past the offending "zone". None of this was to any avail.

But the oddest thing about this is that, I've been past that are before- I've beaten the game with a different party.

So, needless to say I was hoping if any of you would have any suggestions.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hmm, once again, I thought we'd encountered every possible problem but this is a new one on me. I'm sorry but I've never heard of that problem and can't think of a solution. Must be something unique about your current system set up.

3. Soren Vracian Gems: 2/31

So it seems- I find it odd though that no other Infinity engine game has given me such an error messege- just the Icewind Games.

Yet all of the error messeges have something to do with the engine itself (or so it says).

4. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Give us your software and hardware specs.

Maybe a conflict issue with your OS.

5. Soren Vracian Gems: 2/31

I'm running windows 98, on a dated AMD K6 with 320 MB of RAM

6. jeffe Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well, what a coincidence. I came here because I just started having the same problem with IWD II. I also have been playing Infinity Engine games for years without ever seeing this problem.

My specs are about as different from yours as possible. I have a Athlon 64 3400+, a X800 Pro, and a gig of ram. Running XP sp2.

I recently installed Catalyst 4.8s. I suspect that they were to blame. You don't by chance have an ATI card with newly-installed 4.8s, do you? I'm guessing not, based on your other specs, which tells me that something else is to blame. Hmmmm....

7. Soren Vracian Gems: 2/31

I have a really old ATI card- a....ATI RAGE/RAGE II PCI (ati_m64)... If that says anything:p

8. Quicho Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I think, this happened to me when disk shortage occured. In clear words: check if there's enough disk space available - on disk where your IWDII is installed; - on system disk; - on disk where is your pagefile; - on disk where is your temp directory. I don't know what amount of disk space should be enough. But try to release some disk space, recheck and then let us know. And also try to delete all files in IWD cache.

9. Vassago Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Have you installed the patch for IWD2?

10. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

This may be a really stupid suggestion, but could it be that the Kuldahar loading picture is corrupted? It seems to me that every big area has it's own picture that you see when loading a new subarea. If your problem occurs when loading, it might be something like this...

Either way, have you tried to reinstall the game?

11. Soren Vracian Gems: 2/31

I believe I mentioned that I have both patched and reinstalled the game several times- also, I've tried the teleport function in the "Ease of Use" mod to teleport to other places, like Dragon's Eye- and anything past Kuldahar freezes and crashes the game.

As well, I have at least 2 gigs free, even after I increased the cache size.

12. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

What would happen if you were to start a new party and use the teleport mod to go to Kuldahar? If that works, my guess is that your savegame is corrupted somehow.

13. Soren Vracian Gems: 2/31

Its the same with all save games, I start a new party (or the old party which has already BEEN to Kuldahar) and go there, and I get the exact same result.

Sucks, quite alot.

On another, possibly related matter which just occured to me, I've only been able to do a "recommended" install size lately, whenever I try to do a "Full", when it gets to 98%, it asks for "Disk 0", which is quite... odd.

14. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

I think I heard of that (second) problem before, but I don't really know where. Maybe you can do a search on Troubleshooting Guides or somethng.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.