1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New to IWD2

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by angryguy, Mar 11, 2005.

1. angryguy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Just got IWD2 the other day after many years of BG and BG2. So far, I'm liking it.
    What tools (patches, fixes, even mods) do i need to run the game smoothly? Is there anything i really shouldn't do when making characters?
    And for any others who also play BG2- getting used to a whole new interface is a pain. For instance, how do i set quick spell slots? The BG2 way isnt working...
    If it goes well I may end up doing a harbourboy impression and document my progress... or not.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I like IWD2. I'm trying to remember if you need any patches. I know there is a patch to fix a 'slowdown' at one point in the game. Search these Boards for "slowdown" and you'll find it. There is an Ease-of-Use mod around which is good, but wait until you've played it a bit before you decide whether you want to install it.

I don't remember Spell Quick Slots being a trick. Isn't it just a right click?

3. Shire Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Yes, just right click the panel, then right click the spell icon and choose the spell you want quick slotted.

ease of use mods highly recommended (always get xp per kill)

Oh a general note, spells own in IWD2

4. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If you install EoU mod do not install the random items selection.

5. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Other than the latest patch, there is noting else you need to run the game smoothly.
    Ease-of-use, forgotten items and new shopkeeper mod are three mods out there which can make your party a bit more overpowered than it is supposed to be.

As far as charecters go, dont shy away from min-maxing. A frontline fighter should have atleast 16Str, 16Con. Dex is not that important unless you intend to wear leather armor or less. Unless you can't avoid it, always have even numbered stats. Melee is good but high level spells rule.
    Challenge Ratings suck.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You should download the bonus merchant from SP.

7. angryguy Gems: 7/31

I'm learning that minmaxing is the way. My first group was beautifully crafted, but totally flawed and liable to lose terribly.

Some things that bug me-
    Low starting characteristics. These had better improve or I'm left feeling extremely weak. Are there plenty of items to boost this?

Micromanagement- how *much* do i have to do? I've ditched two party members to alleviate this (I was skilled at BG2, hopefully I can cope) but still.

I assume that when making characters I can't multiclass (unless I'm blind) so how do i get a mix of classes? My reason to get this game was for things like a ranger/paladin...

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

When you level up you can choose to assign that level to another class. So you start at level one as the class you initially select and then you can add as many other classes you want by selecting to take levels of them whenever you level up.

9. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Keep in mind favored classes when doing your multi's--XP penalties suck.

IMO, you can build a decent party without min-maxing, it's just more of a challenge to play.

If you have the skill, pick peoples' pockets once in a while--you may get some useful stuff--just don't forget to save beforehand.

10. noldor372 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I love IWD2. It improves on BG2 except that there are no NPCs, and there are no side quests. :(

Don't do too much multiclassing, it's better to excel in a few things than be mediocre in many.

Get the ease of use modification and read the readme file. Don't install the random treasures option.

If you want to avoid micromanagement, there's a mod that will modify scripts so that your characters won't keep changing weapons (I found it highly annoying). Also give your spellcaster defensive fighter scripts and they won't waste Horrid Wilting on a single orc.

Always save before you level up a sorcerer, many of the spells don't do what they're supposed to do.

The patch isn't necessary, IMO. It only seems to limit cheesy tactics you may want to use (Animate Dead, Improved Invisibility, and Otiluke's Resilient Sphere if you're wondering).

If you don't care about cheating, get Dalekeeper 2. I pumped character stats, but not too much. It's hard to get a decent paladin without it. I also don't enjoy 5 reloads for every fight, or having to rest after every fight.

[ March 12, 2005, 03:28: Message edited by: noldor372 ]

11. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Go to the linked page and get these mods. These mods will make life a bit easier: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/IWD2/index_editors1.php
    Bonus & Collector's Edition CD Merchants
    Slowdown Fixes (better safe than sorry)
    Improved Initiative Workaround (if you ever intend to pick that feat)
    IWD2 Unofficial Item/Spell Patch (not really necessary if you dont want it.)
    IWD2 Modified Scripts (must have if you use scripts for your fighters)
    Ammo Belts and Bottomless Bags (Makes things so much easier for a packrat like me)

As you level up you will be allowed to assign one more stat point every 4 levels.
    There are quite a few stat raising items. But these all add to your stats instead of replacing them like the 'Ring of Human Influence' did in SoA.
    Also note that a +2 Str necklace and a +4 Str belt dont stack. You sould take the best of either and give the other to someone else.
    Spells can help you out in stat increasing.

Start off the game with one or two melee capable charecters and then add others, maybe when you get to the paliside. That way you have a someone at a higher level than others and this may make life a bit easier.

You can choose a class at EVERY levelup. The amount of XP required to get to a level is the same, regardless of your class. Thus bards no longer levelup faster than rangers.
    Know that paladins and monks will not allow you to further levelup in that class if you pick a class other than the allowed one.

Read through the description of each race and class so you have an idea of who works best as what. Quite a few classes will grant you significant bonuses during the first 1-4 levels, after which you may decide to concentrate on other classes.
    Start off with fighting capable classes and pick up casting levels later on. Clerics can do both so you make go pure if you want to. Remember that with a full party you might only endup at level 15-18 by the end of the game. So higher level spells may be out of your reach throughout the game.

Minsc would probably be happiest in this game, while Edwin would sulk. :beer:

12. angryguy Gems: 7/31

At the moment I am using a 3-man party, adding another one or two later. I have an Asimaar Paladin (helm) who may switch to cleric later, a human fighter with a bias toward missile attacks, and a half-elf diviner.

Is giving my fighter a level of barbarian a good idea? Extra HP and a rage would be nice. Basically, what penalties do i have to look out for?

Finally worked out how to set quick spells too...noone said you needed *two* right clicks...

My mage will probably stay pure. He's really useful, for whatever reason he does "thief skills" better than anyone else. The paladin is handy too, but i may want a healer if i don't add one.

13. Atari Man Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Six man teams are very useful, because you have that many extra swords and bows in the melee.
    Also, unlike IWD spell casters own in this sequel, with a few high level spells you can disable an entire enemy force.
    One more thing, the interface is simple and neat so it shouldn't cause 'too' many problems. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.